Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: 1001 Nights of Snowfall

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, October 23, 2006

1001 Nights of Snowfall

No, this doesn't have anything to do with Green Lanterns, but I'm ok with that. What it IS, is bloody fabulous. If you haven't been picking up Fables, by Bill Willingham, then I strongly suggest that you do so...and soon. This the the new hardcover book, and while a little on the expensive side, it is well worth the price. It is an anthology of origin stories, and has a plethora of wonderful artists, and as usual, the writing is top-notch.

Snow White has travelled to the Arabian fables as the ambassador from Fabletown, and ends up telling stories to the sultan in a lovely twist on the Sheherezade theme. And while these ARE origin stories to some of our favorite fables, Bigby Wolf, Flycatcher, Old King Cole and Snow White herself, you get the feeling that there is still so much more hidden and hinted at.

The John Bolton art in the Snow White story makes me weep, it is so gorgeous. The story itself is fantastic and a bit chilling. The one with Reynaud the fox is a bit of a hoot, and Flycatchers makes me weep again, but because it is so sad. Bigby Wolf's is just great, and there is so much there that ISN'T being told, it leaves all kinds of new stories to build from. There is a lovely little story with Thunderfoot with a nice twist, but I must say that one of my favorites is the one with Snow and Rose saving none other than Frau Totenkinder, who has a back story that is poignant and horrifying at the same time. The one with King Cole actually made me like him, which I hadn't really beforehand. And finally there is an ironic and lovely little tale with Mersey, drawn by none other than Brian Bolland.

So, do yourselves a favor, and buy this book. You won't be sorry.

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Queer Legion (QL) said...

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! I just bought "1001 Nights" yesterday. (And the "Arabian Nights" trade too. I've been doing Fables by the trades.)

I can't wait to get reading. Love me some Fables!!

P.S. Are you reading the Ion mini? There was a very nice Kyle & Alan scene in the latest issue.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yes, Fables is fantastic, and yes, I've been reading Ion. I thought this was the best issue so far, it was nice to take a bit of a breather, and have some quiet character moments. And it had Radu! But Alan is always a bonus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home