Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Great Guardians, this was a great week for comics!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Great Guardians, this was a great week for comics!

Wow! This was certainly a bonanza of a week for good books. I'm still all of a flutter.

Firstly, Ion #12. I'm happy that it was such a good issue, and sad that it's the last one. Oh, and Maura Rayner does die in the end, which is depressing. Poor Kyle. One more dead woman in his life. That boy just has the worst time of it with relationships. But on the other hand, his mom did last a lot longer than most of his girlfriends.

One small quibble. I've been enjoying having Guy, Kilowog and Soranik show up in Kyle's book, showing a little support and solidarity amongst the Green Lanterns. And I've been quite happy with the way that Ron Marz has portrayed Guy Gardner. However, I'm not at all thrilled that the artist in this issue, Fernando Pasarin chose to give Guy that goddamm haircut! He hasn't worn his hair like that since Hal went all Parallax on us...it's been years! Other than that however, the art was nice, and Kyle's grief very well displayed.

Secondly...The Brave and the Bold #2. Hoohah! I loved this. I even liked Supergirl in it, and that is saying something. Hal is hysterical, his frantic "No bad thoughts! She's seventeen!" and the way that he basically keeps repeating that is a hoot. Of course Kara is pretty shameless in her pursuit...Hal, you've still got it baby!

The Book of Destiny is a clever plot, using it to gamble is even better. The story is fun, the art is fun, what more could you ask for?

Thirdly...Justice Society of America #4. Man, this just keeps getting better and better. The boys and girls finally are in action, and have the evil Nazis on the run! Wildcat and Wildcat Jr. are beating up Vandal Savage! Power Girl gets to be chairman! The final double-page spread just gave me chills, it was so gorgeous. Dale Eaglesham did a lovely job with the artwork.

There are five women portrayed on that big splash page, and every single one of them has a different face and body type from the others. See? It CAN be done! The guys are the same way, Hawkman is absolutely HUGE in comparison to Jay, which is as it should be. Great stuff.

Finally...Birds of Prey #104. I am a somewhat of a newcomer to Birds of Prey, only having started getting it regularly as of issue 98, but I have been lurking around the back issue boxes and building up my collection, because it really is a great book. Gail Simone is an excellent writter, and I am quite happy with the art. But I really do like the characters. I miss Dinah a bit, but an having fun with Barda and her deadpan sense of humor.

I enjoyed Helena and Catman's flirting, Nicola Scott draws a VERY gorgeous Thomas Blake. I like the Secret Six too...I can't help thinking that when this arc is all over, they'll all go out and have a beer together.

However, the real zinger is on the last page. Barda and Helena have made off with the bad guy's secret weapon, which turns out to be a Rocket Red suit of armor, and are being pursued by the Secret Six. The two of them open up the armor, and it isn't empty, nor is it a bomb.

It's Ice.

Tora's not dead! I kid you not, I actually let out a scream of glee. Good thing I was the only one home, or my husband and kids would have me committed. I babbled about it all night. Please, please, let this stick...don't bring her back, just to kill her off again, I don't think my heart can stand it.

Guy and Bea are going to be so happy.

Oh yeah, I got some other stuff too. 52 was actually something of a hoot after all the blood and guts from last issue, I LOVE T.O Morrow bidding on ebay, while the rest of them are wetting their collective pants that Black Adam is going to pound them all into goo. Checkmate was good, Amanda Waller actually was thwarted. Wisdom was confusing but fun, as was Barracuda, both from Marvel. And I found the trade publication of Young Justice, with "Sins of Youth" which was fun all the way through.

Man, I'll be riding this glow for days.

6 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Derek said...

I'm actually a little bummed about Power Girl becoming the new chairwoman of the JSA. I mean, yay Karen, but it seems like a sign that we're going to be seeing less of Mr. Terrific.

Of course, he's in a leadership position already in Checkmate, but that's not really a superhero book. Everyone's a political operative in Checkmate. I want to see Michael being a superhero.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Garikapc said...

Hi SallyP,

I agree that Ion #12 felt like the proper end to the series. I would have liked a little more action in a finale, but I believe the series has always been about Kyle's personal growth. I really wish I would have gotten into comics much earlier then I did. I think the Ion series is even better when you consider where Kyle started and how far he has come. Also, a nice touch to have Marz write his beginning and now maturity.

Seriously, that scene in Rebirth where Hal and Kyle "re-introduce" themselves to each other makes me choke up every time. So cool!

Thanks for chronocling all that is GL for eager newbies like me.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Thanks for chronocling all that is GL for eager newbies like me."

I second that. thanks.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Awwww...you're making me blush. I thought I was just obssesive. Kyle will be showing up in the GL annual in June, I believe, with Sinestro...and it looks to be amazing.

Derek, don't worry, Mr. Terrific is still...well terrific! I love JSA, but I admit that there are a lot of characters to juggle.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger rachelle said...

I have a friend who didn't like Brave and the Bold because she's tired of everyone perving on Supergirl. But to that I say: WHATEVER! Supergirl was totally perving harder on Hal, and it was awesome. And he was a gentleman and put a stop to it early.

Also, I kinda love that Supergirl is total jailbait, but if anyone touches her they have to deal with the wrath of Superman. I guess I care so little about the current Supergirl that I don't mind her being a punchline.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Rachelle,

Frankly, I thought Brave and the Bold was hilarious. Supergirl is right...Hal DOES have pretty big brown eyes. And for once, I actually kind of liked Supergirl, which is quite unnusual for me, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home