Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Feeling a little Cranky

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Feeling a little Cranky

Like many of you, I have been caught up in the latest brouhaha in comicdom. First it was the horror of Alex Ross portraying a realistic penis in his painting for JLA. Now it's that dreadful little statue of Mary Jane. But what is really annoying me, is the news that I'm to be considered a weirdo since I am female and read comics, and also I have no right to get upset that women are being portrayed badly, and that I should either STOP reading comics, or make my own.

First of all, you're not the boss of me! Why yes, I have children, why do you ask? In addition to being a weirdo who reads comics (and has been reading comics for about 30 years or so) I have also managed to live a modestly fulfilling life, going to college, getting married, and raising four smart-ass kids. Who ALSO read comics. Just because I am in a minority, doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to read, and occasionally complain about my hobby.

I understand that superhero comics, as created by DC and Marvel and other companies are certainly aimed mostly at men. I don't have a problem with that. I also like John Wayne movies, and books by Alastair Maclean. I have the full run of Preacher, and sniggered my way though it, along with Hitman. So I have reasonable nerd credentials. I also cook, embroider and like to rearrange furniture, buy antiques and I love Jane Austin.

...BUT...

While I love comics, that doesn't mean that I can't occasionally get a little fed up by the RAMPANT whinings of the guys who have a heart attack every time I find myself smacked in the face by the blatant sexism of yet another tawdry statue, barely-there costume, or unnecessary female characters death.

Ok...just wanted to get that off my chest. I probably won't have much time for blogging for the rest of the week. A school concert, two doctor's appointments, marching in the fife and drum corp of the Shad Derby parade in Windsor, and my oldest daughter's graduation from College this weekend are pretty much going to be taking up my time. My only niece is also graduating from Grad school this same weekend, so it is going to be a tad on the hectic side.

However, I just can't let go, without posting one of the finest scans I've ever come across.

Hal Pictures

Heehee! And the horse you rode in on!

5 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Preach it, sister.

-M

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger FoldedSoup said...

I still think they were trying for 50s cheesecake nostalgia with that one.

That said, boy! Did they miss it. Wasn't there some editor somewhere that said, "umm.. I see what you're trying to do there, guy. But you didn't get it. Change this to this and this, and please put her in sandles.. it might be mis-interpreted"?

And you can't complain because you're obviously not the target audience? Puh-Leeze.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Ms. P said...

YOU GO, MOM!!!

You can post my report on the rampant use of violence against females in comics if you want. I got an "A"! YAY!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger rachelle said...

Well said.

I have to listen to a billion guys everyday nitpick about stupid crap in their comics, so I really feel that it's ok to complain about some little flaw in my comics like, oh, flagrant sexism.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thank you all. And you go Amy!

What really sticks in my craw is that a heck of a lot of guys have made a CAREER of complaining about comics. Well, pooh.

I also find it amusing that the same bozos who are rendered horrified by the realistic portrayal of Steel Guy's package by Alex Ross, are the same ones drooling over those gawdawful statues of Emma Frost, Mary Jane, Power Girl etc etc ad nauseum.

Bah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home