Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Green Lantern Corps #14

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Green Lantern Corps #14

Green Lanterns

And here we are with part three of the Sinestro Corps War saga. I have to give kudos to Pat Gleason and Moose Baumann for the art and coloring, which is bang on...as usual. As for the story, well, things aren't going too well for the corps, that's for sure. Various sectors are being wiped out by the Sinestro Corps, and hope of backup is getting dim.

Meanwhile on Korugar, Soranik Natu's good work is now being rewarded by a group of people who want to use her for their own political purposes. Natu, is busy protesting that she's just a Doctor, and that as a member of the Green Lantern Corps, she's trying to help people and uphold the law. Unfortunately for her, her message is getting lost.

Then Sinestro shows up.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now that is one heck of a scary picture. Hell, it reminds me of some of the images in "Watchmen", which is interesting since Dave Gibbons is the one writing this. Look at the way the paint has run on the Green Lantern symbols, they look menacing. The one in the upper left corner even looks like a face. An EVIL face.

This is beautiful stuff.

So Soranik and Sinestro fight. More on that in a minute.

Out in space, Green Man is having an existential moment. He's wracked with guilt over his murder of his partner, and he's having a hard time getting over it. There is a lovely closeup of his face, his mouth is all contorted, and it looks as though he's about to cry. He even apologizes for acting like an "earthman", ie: full of emotion. Heh.

And lo and behold, he does find what is left of Stel, whom he embraces, much to Stel's chagrin. Stel isn't in very good shape, but good Lantern that he is, he managed to reverse the polarity of his atoms and thereby survived the attack. Not exactly sure how that all works, but what the heck, I like Stel, and I'm glad that he made it. He does need repair however, so off to Mogo they go. Mogo will know what to do.

"...As us Lanterns have ALWAYS done when we are lost or damaged. The corps would not long survive WITHOUT Mogo."

Oh crap. Mogo's gonna be in BIIIIIIIG trouble.

Back on Korugar in the meantime, Soranik is having a bit of a problem fighting against Sinestro, as her ring won't allow her to use lethal force. Sinestro finds this to be hilarious, pointing out that GL's are basically pussies or words to that effect. Still, Soranik is doing her darndest.

Sinestro however is breaking her down, similar to the way that he broke down Kyle. I must say that Sinestro has this whole psychological attack thingie down perfectly. He's got her completely on the ropes, but he doesn't kill her. In fact, I get the impression that he's trying to convince her to come around to his way of thinking. So he fakes her victory. He wants Korugar to believe that she has defeated him, so that she'll be stuck there, taking care of her people.

And HIS people. He wants her to take cake of Korugar for him. This is an interesting development I think, I get the impression that nutcase though he may be, Sinestro sincerely believes that his way is the best way for Korugar, and he doesn't want anything to happen to his planet and his people. I wonder if this will come up later with the AntiMonitor?

Back on Oa, Kilowog is giving a pep talk to the rookies, and Salakk quietly pulls Arisia aside and tells her to keep an eye on young Sodam Yat. Arisia is a mite confused, but agrees, wondering what the heck makes HIM so special. Salakk who is in communication with Ganthet can't tell her of course, but it is one more seed planted.

Finally, Stel and Green Man make it to Mogo, and notice the damage that he has inflicted upon himself in the attempt to burn out the infection. The two Lanterns are at first relieved, and then a shadow falls across them...and all you can see is the silhouette of a massive construct with a Parallax symbol. Is this supposed to be Ranxx, or something else? Whatever it is, Mogo is in for a heck of a time.

Good stuff, go out and read it!

5 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oooooooh, yes! Sinestro's strategy against Soranik was SO MEAN! Somehow, though, I don't think Soranik is going to play Sinestro's game. ;-) AND, I still think Mogo is being affected by the Star Sapphires/Zamarons in addition to Despotellis (or whatever that little oogie is called). There's been just a wee bit too much pinkish/purplish coloring in the space around Mogo lately. Remains to be seen how the Star Sapphires are gonna come into play in this war. I think they're gonna be on the Guardians' side, but with some provisions that the Guardians are NOT going to like -- hence the Guardians' gripes regarding the part of the prophecy that they didn't share with Salaak. Hmmmm.

Hey, Sally -- sorry, but I gotta brag: I now have in my possession, from GL (current series) #11, pages 8 and 9, the original, fabulous two-page spread, drawn by Ivan Reis and inked by Oclair Albert, of Hal Jordan's splendid backside. Probably THE BEST DRAWING EVER of Hal Jordan's ass. ;-) Hey, I had a chance to acquire it, so I went for it! I'm planning on getting it framed soon.

My husband is threatening to look for a good Power Girl drawing -- for revenge. ;-)

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

You have that picture? Oh my God, I am on my knees, bowing down before you and muttering "I'm not worthy" over and over.

And yes, those are utterly MAGNIFICENT buttocks.

*sigh*

Ahem...as you remember, there were these odd purple crystals on the asteroid that Mogo used for his bit of self-imposed surgery, so I am thinking that the Zamarons are indeed going to come into the picture somehow.

This having to wait for weeks between issues is REALLY getting to me!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I agree -- the waiting is pure murder! Darn those GL writers and artists for doing their jobs entirely too well. :-/

Yep, I have those pages, all right. It's killing me because they're currently sitting in a box awaiting framing. As you know, the orignal pages that the comics are printed from are MUCH larger than comic book trim size. I swear, it's like you can reach right into that drawing and ... and ... AND ...

Okay, I gotta stop right there before I totally lose control. I also have to find a way to get a scan or photo of these pages to you. After all, you are the goddess of Green Lantern Butts. :-)

It's interesting, though, to see Ivan Reis's original pages and see how he approaches his drawing. It looks like he lightly sketched on the back of the pages before drawing on the front. From what I can tell, he initially had a totally different layout in mind -- something that probably would have made the Guardians much more prominent -- before he decided on drawing Hal's backside. :-) Can't say I'm disappointed with his choice!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I think that it is one of those unwritten rules or something...if you are drawing Green Lanterns, you MUST draw them from behind. And a fine rule it is!

Frame it, hang it, and insure it! If it were mine, I'd probably hang it over the bed, but I'm sure that my husband would probably complain.

Good luck getting him that Power Girl picture!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

I didn't see his arms on the first look and thought he was wiping his butt on the flag or something.. like towelling off XD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home