Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Random Ramblings

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, July 27, 2007

Random Ramblings

So...my computer was running incredibly slowly for the past few days, driving me into an unutterable frenzy. Fortunately, before I pitched it out of the window in a hard-drive induced rage, my darling oldest daughter came home from school, and proceeded to de-fragmetized...de-fraggmented...defragged...did something MAGICAL to it! Woohoo! Man, the day the last one leaves for college, I am officially screwed!

It's hot and muggy. Yes, I realize that it is July, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. I'm one of those odd people that actually like Fall and Winter. I like sweaters, and having a fire in the fireplace and drinking hot chocolate and stuff. I even like snow, provided that I don't have to be the one to shovel it. That's what teenagers are for. That and fixing my computer.

Lo and behold, a Fed Ex truck just pulled up in front of my house! I ordered comics a week ago...could they possibly be here already? Then it hit me, that they are coming by UPS not Fed Ex, and the delivery was for my neighbor, but for a couple of minutes, I was really livin' there. I'll...I'll just go and look at my comics from Wednesday instead.

Hmmmm....some pretty good stuff, and a few clunkers. Green Lantern Corps was spectacular, although it did seem odd not having a Pat Gleason-drawn Guy. On the other hand, I do get to have an Ivan Reis-drawn Guy in a couple of weeks, so I guess I can survive.

Blue Beetle #17 was wonderful as usual. Funny, action-filled, and just a little bit poignant at the end. Jaime takes down the bad guy, by using his brains, (he's been reading the books from Ted that Guy gave him) and even manages to try and bluff Bruce Wayne in a wonderful moment. Unfortunately, he can't quite manage to save everybody, and this haunts him. His Dad is great, though,and manages to get him through it. He is also apparently IMing Tracy Thirteen, which is fun.

Green Arrow: Year One, #2 was pretty gosh-darned good. Nice art, and a good story.

Wonder Woman #11 was pretty gosh-darned bad. It's still a tie-in to Amazons Attack, which is also not very good, and they have the entire Justice League, not to mention the Justice Society, and everybody else that they can manage to round up, and they ALL are portrayed as being completely incompetent. Mr. Terrific, Wildcat and Black Canary are trying to stop a missile from being fired, but are outwitted, and it doesn't work. Then, when the missile is actually fired, neither Hawkman, Power Girl OR Green Lantern can catch it, before it disappears into a portal, headed to Themyscira. Coincidentally, that is where Wonder Woman is. She of course manages to hop on board the missile, and pul out all the wiring, which keeps magically repairing itself.

The reason she's on Themyscira instead of having Mother/Daughter time, is to find the antidote to the killer bees that are slowly...ever so slowly...killing Nemesis. Because that is so much more important than saving Washington. She also yells at the Goddess Athena a lot. Who, points out that in addition to being a Goddess of Wisdom, she is also a Goddess of...WAR!

Well. Crap in a hat.

JSA: Classified was nice. Countdown was ok. Mary Marvel is sneaking out to Cruise ships and taking in the shows for free. Against my better judgement, I got Wolverine. I've been reading it for a long time, but I think the time has finally come to cut this sucker loose. The art by Simone Bianchi is just lovely, but the story by Jeph Loeb makes little to no sense whatsoever. I am one of those odd people that actually enjoy a PLOT!

Well, I'm starting to get cranky, so I'll give you all something to cheer you up.

Guy pictures

From one of my favorite issues of GG: Warrior. Parobeck was amazing, and the dialogue is a hoot. Gosh, I feel better already.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Re: Wolverine, I think this was Jeph Loeb's last issue. There's a fill-in issue with Howard Chaykin art coming up next, then the Civil War writer, Guggenheim, comes back.

Where Jeph Loeb is going next I have no idea, I just really hope it isn't anywhere near any books I'm buying.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm feeling the same way. I met Mr. Loeb once, and he was quite charming, and I have liked some of the things he's done in the past, but lately...well...Yeccchh.

I'm not sure that Chaykin is going to be an improvement. Again, I loved his old stuff, but I'm finding it hard to forgive him for the utter dreck that was Guy Gardner: Collateral Damage.

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

I'm so glad I dropped Amazons Attack and all tie-ins now :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home