Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Green Lantern News from DC

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, September 10, 2007

Green Lantern News from DC

Well dip me in honey, there are a'doings transpirin' over at DC for the future of the Green Lantern Corps. According to the recent interview on Newsarama, former Editor of the GL books, Peter Tomasi, will be taking over from Dave Gibbons beginning in November, which finishes up the Sinestro Corps story. I find myself a little nervous because I'm not that familiar with Mr. Tomasi's work, and because I have become quite fond of Mr. Gibbons run on GLC.

Firstly, "Recharge" was simply sensational. The GLC started out strong, and just kept getting better. Yeah, there were occasionally issues that weren't as exciting as others, but still, very good story-telling. I loved how Mr. Gibbons was busy planting clues for the current story line with the Sinestro Corps waaaaaaay back in the beginning, over a year ago. You may have to go back and read them again and pay attention, but the clues are right there. But I felt that Mr. Gibbons understood and liked his characters and it showed.

I also fell madly in love with Keith Champagne during his three-parter, with Guy and the Corpse story, because he did SUCH a fantastic job with Guy's character. It was also a rip-snorter of a story.

However, I do take comfort from further reading of the interview at Newsarama, because of this statement from Mr. Tomasi.

Newsarama..."Will the Corps post-war be recognizable compared to the Corps pre-war?"

Tomasi......."Absolutely. I'll be introducing some new rookies, but I feel the current roster is damn strong and I can't wait to contribute to their stories as a writer. The main line-up will be Guy, Kilowog, Arisia, Salakk, Soranik, Iolande, Vath and Isamot, but the one major difference is that Kyle will be a major part of the book from here on, as was originally planned when I launched the Corps with Geoff, Dave and Patrick Gleason back in GL Corps Recharge. We had to pull Kyle out back then due to some major DCU event, but now he's back where he belongs, partnered up with Guy and getting on each others nerves."

Woohoo!

I liked...no, I loved Guy and Kyle together in "Recharge". They really did work very very well together, and they were funny doing it to boot. I got the impression that they liked each other, as well as respected each others abilities. So, I'm happy that Kyle will have a home with the Corps,which is where he should be, in my humble opinion.

I know that there are some who prefer to have Kyle on earth, doing his "everyman" impression, but I also think that perhaps Kyle is past that in his development. Besides, you have Hal and John on earth, which is already overstocked with heroes of every description and type. Kyle has come a long ways from his time as an overeager rookie, and I think that he'll do very well in the group dynamic of the Corps. Besides, now Guy will have somebody to play with, besides Kilowog.

So, we'll have ALL our favorite Lanterns every month! Alan in Justice Society, Hal in GL, John in Justice League, and Guy and Kyle in GLC. It is INDEED a good time to be a Green Lantern Fan.

6 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Woo hoo, indeed! So, I guess this means Kyle isn't doomed to remain Parallax for long, huh? ;-) And, yeah, I always thought Kyle and Guy made a great team.

Too bad about Dave Gibbons, especially since his history with GL goes WAY back. He probably knows more about the GL Corps than just about everyone on the planet, considering he was illustrating GL during the height of the original "Tales of the GL Corps" backup feature era. Still, I have high hopes for the future of the GLC title.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Cool. That sure does work out nicely.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

I tagged you :)

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

Hey, not really related to your post, but did you catch Kyle in last week's Atom? He was only in it for 3 pages i think.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I missed it, Patrick, so I'll have to try and pick it up this week.

Tagged?

Yes, it DOES all work out nicely for everyone, doesn't it?

I'm relieved that they didn't actually can Dave Gibbons from the title, he's been doing for a few years now, and apparently needed a break. And it will still have Patrick Gleason doing the art!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

http://ami-rants.blogspot.com/2007/09/tv-trope-meme-d_09.html

Yus tagged

 

Post a Comment

<< Home