Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Salakk

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Salakk

Salakk, you magnificent bastard! Really, you are beginning to grow on me more and more. Originally, Salakk was unusual in that, unlike all the OTHER Green Lanterns, he wasn't a kiss-up to Hal Jordan. This attitude made him refreshing. I love Hal, but if there was anything that he DIDN'T need, it was more ass-kissing, and Salakk filled that much-needed niche.

Salakk was cranky, morose and definitely a "glass-half empty" sort of character. I found it hilarious, that his best friend was an anthropomorphic squirrel. When I saw "The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy" and the cute little robot, as voiced by Alan Rickman, I squealed out..."Look! It's Salakk!" So of course, every time that I now read about him, it is with Alan Rickman's voice.

I've enjoyed his continuing battles with Guy Gardner, because if there is one person in the universe who would get on Salakk's nerves, you KNOW that it would be Guy. But I also enjoy the way that he was been portrayed as being a whole lot smarter and even good-hearted than he appears. He's also manipulative and officious, hung up about protocol, and really enjoys bureaucracy.

I must admit that Iwas a bit startled at his actions in the latest Green Lantern Corps #16. The part where he comes swooping in and saves Kilowog is great. The part where he incinerates the baby is even better. Unlike some of the other Lanterns, he's not filled with rage, or eager for vengeance, he's just being efficient. And Salakk is nothing, if he is not efficient. As he points out to Kilowog, he's not particularly happy about the use of lethal force being authorized, but it is after all, his duty to serve. And Salakk will ALWAYS do his duty, as he sees fit.

He's also machiavellian enough to be in cahoots with Ganthet and Sayd. He serves the Guardians, but that doesn't have to mean that he also can't think for himself.

Green Lanterns

So here's to Salakk. I'm SO glad that they haven't killed him off. May he continue to be a thorn in Guy's side for some time to come.

4 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Nerites said...

Hey Sally,

Is there any way that you could do more of this very-personal profiles?

I LOVE HOW U WRITE !
So down to Earth, in a very informative and fun way!

PLEASE GIVE US SOME MORE !

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I liked him better when he was a half dead spiritual dream horse

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Nerites, you are SUCH a sweet-talker.

Mike...you have a point of course. I liked him when he was a slave and got savedy by Guy, and STILL was completely ungrateful about it.

Salakk is a curmudgeon's curmudgeon.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm just fooling I love Salakk and am always hoping that he doesnt fall prey to "extended green lantern cast death" syndrome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home