Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I just like Old Farts

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I just like Old Farts

With the possible exception of Jaime Reyes, and Kyle Rayner, it seems as though my tastes in characters seem to be veering towards the more...mature. Except Guy Gardner of course. Guy is NEVER mature! Haw!

But I was browsing through my new (old) issues of Starman recently, not to mention Justice Society, and it occured to me that I really REALLY get a kick out of the Golden Age heroes. And here is Alan Scott, Ted Grant and Jay Garrick holding their own against the young dogs, and still being able to teach them a thing or two, and it just warms the cockles of my heart. And Ma Hunkle, they've got Ma Hunkle to take care of them. How cool is that? I'm a little bemused by the sudden influx of callow youth into the Society, but I figure that it is probably temporary. They are there, because in a way, the Justice Society is DC's version of superhero Finishing School. The lucky ones go to the JSA. The more unfortunate ones, end up in the Teen Titans.

Look at Alan. He's just so...so suave! Even Batman respects Alan. And he's about the only person alive that can calm down Hal Jordan. Even the villains respect Alan. Same thing with Jay. The Shade likes Jay. Jay likes the Shade. I like the Shade. ( no really, the Shade is fabulous)

Ted is a cranky old boxer, who can still whup the bad guys and show the young whippersnappers a thing or two. Plus he hangs out with Power Girl and Cat Woman and Lady Blackhawk.

Alfred is cool. He's old, but he makes good tea apparently. That's important.

Ganthet is old. He's REALLY old. The other Guardians are the grown-up "babies" that Kyle made, which may explain why theyare acting in such a foolish manner lately. I love Kyle, but I'm the first to admit that he's not the sharpest crayon in the box. But Ganthet is the only Guardian with a brain lately. Which is why he's off frolicking with Sayd and being Hopeful.

Wonder Woman is pretty old. So is her mother. Am I the only one who wants to see Hippolyta get back together with the rest of the old farts at the JSA? That could turn out to be a hoot and a half. Especially when they get together with the Justice League, and she won't stop embarrassing Diana.

I swear that I would enjoy a comic if it only consisted of Jay, Alan, Ted and the Shade sitting in rocking chairs and shooting at the kids on the lawn.

silly

And get Geoff Johns to write it.

6 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I always thought Jay was pretty sexy. ;-)

-- Sea

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

better than them on a porch. them all sitting in a bar ala cheers. perhaps at warriors

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger HotAndCold said...

I would totally buy that book. So very hard.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

They ARE bringing back Warriors! Sort of. It's going to be on Oa, so I don't know how many superheroes are actually going to be dropping in, but still...it's a start.

Sea! I've missed you! How's Mighty Mite?

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Might Mite is happy and thriving. :-) There's a "sockamagee" story related to her, by the way. I'll get to it eventually. :-)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Greg said...

It would totally rock to see Hippolyta back with her JSA pals. That's the one thing they are missing...dames their own age, or approximately so, anyway. Didn't Hawkgirl go along with the JSA on that old wartime mission that made them age so very slowly?

I could see the old guard stopping into Warriors now and then, but I have a feeling there's some little mom and pop corner tavern that's been around for decades where they like to go hang out.

Maybe the jukebox has all the great old songs from their youth in the 40s.

(I always hope my word verification word will be 'mxylptlk'. Curses, foiled again...I got 'ihfizxhx')

 

Post a Comment

<< Home