Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Just some Mild Grumbling

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Just some Mild Grumbling

Did everyone have a nice Easter? I'm still in shock because it was so early this year. I had my family over to my house, and we all had a huge ham, asparagus, strawberry pie, and any number of other goodies, ate dinner and just sat around and TALKED around the table for three solid hours! It was lovely.

It's too cold though. At least it's not snowing. Yet.

Is it just me, or has there been a great deal of out and out belligerance on the various blogs lately? Everybody seems to be mad at everybody else and usually over something pretty silly. Both Valerie D'Orazio and Johanna Draper Carlson made a big deal about going on their respective blogs and being nasty about "When Fangirls Attack", which I found to be both petty AND nonsensical. If you want to drop reading a blog, then simply do it. I do it all the time, if there hasn't been a posting in three months, or if I've simply gotten bored or whatever. I dont' make a HUGE fuss about it. I'm not even really sure what point it is that the two ladies are trying to make. WFA is simply a site that finds other postings that pertain to things that the WFA is interested in. There isn't any commentary, but if people are interested, this is a great way to read about things. Frankly, I love it.

Apparently some little weirdo over at Marvel has been posting stuff as Marvel bOy, and has HE got an attitude. Nobody is really sure if he is for real, or if this is just some new strange way for Marvel to get some attention.

Then there are the trolls. I have to admit, that in moderation, a good trolling can be quite amusing. In moderation. Like anything, when taken to the extreme, it quickly loses its entertainment factor and starts to get VERY messy.

I just like to read comicbooks. I'll read just about anything, I like Westerns and Vertigo and Adventure stuff as well as straight superheroes. But I'm getting a little tired of people looking down their noses because I enjoy the superhero stuff. I really don't read that many Indie books. If that is your flavor, then more power to you. But it really isn't very polite to make fun of people who don't have the same tastes.

Sometimes there really is nothing like a good kick to the face. Or a dinosaur-riding Nazi, who is fighting giant talking gorillas.

Or God help us, yellow ceiling tiles.

Hal Pictures

7 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

There 's snow here. We've got the first big snow the day after spring day. ^^

I have seen a little, the things you talked, specially on "occasional superheroine" and well thought the same thing, I have not seen the interest of turning a different between persons into a public "algarade" like this.

anyway, oh you confirmed what I thought : you like little trolls and it reassured me as sometimes I can be quite trollish !

concerning the end of the post, take a look at Beau Smith's last Busted Knuckles "monkeys and scarecrow" it deals with the same thing ^^. And I agree.
I like classical music and I like pop, I like superheroes comics and I like indies, the only thing that it's important is the pleasure they bear to people. We can't be over reflexive all the time, sometimes silly things enables you to be prepared for hard and complex things and... sometimes you find pure gems on things most people will called "silly things".

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Talking Nazi gorilla vampires are the best. ;-)

Ah, Sally, you've hit upon as to why I personally don't frequent message boards, or blogs where the bloggers seem to spend 99.9% of their energy complaining about everything under the sun. A little complaining now and then is fine, but many bloggers get downright abusive with it. There's a fine line between a critic and a chronic complainer, and too many bloggers make a regular habit of crossing that line. I feel sorry for 'em, really.

I prefer blogs where the bloggers are obviously just having a bit of lighthearted (and occasionally ornery) fun, and sharing their likes as opposed to their dislikes. :-)

As for people who pick on your personal interests, my dad always told me that they were just bullies who felt the need to pick on other people to cover up for their own insecurities. He always said to treat it like a compliment -- the bully is jealous of the fact that you feel confident and comfortable enough to have fun, and they don't. :-)

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I do it all the time, if there hasn't been a posting in three months,"

You're talking about me, aren't you?

AREN'T YOU?!

DAMN YOUS!

But on a lighter note, even the "indies" (note the quotation marks because I'm honestly not sure what that term means anymore) I read are pretty much Superhero or Superhero related books.

Dynamo 5, Bomb Queen, and even to some extent GI Joe are all just Superhero tropes with a "But also!" added to them.

I try and keep my blog fairly light, the problem is that sometimes it feels like NO ONE even looks at it. Thats so disheartening that I had to stop for a while. It's a blog to share my intrest but all that happened is made it seemed nobody else liked it.

Which brings up another good point, these very negative people get a lot of attention and on the internet thats like giving candy to the kid that just tripped an old lady.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

u go girl! (snaps fingers in sideways V formation)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

There's a reason why I don't read some blogs. ;)

Even the ones I read, I don't comment unless I really have something to say and therefore, I miss a lot of comment nonsense.

But yeah, a lot of people seem to get worked up by the silliest things. If a blog isn't to your liking anymore, just say it no longer interests you or don't say anything. Of course, people can say whatever they want on their blogs and if they want to rant about someone else's blog, fine. Just don't expect me to read it.

And yeah, it's weird having Easter so much earlier than Passover this year.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I don't mind a bit of kvetching, since I do it myself. But yes, the ALL Criticism, ALL of the time, gets old very very fast.

And yes, people should be allowed to like the things that they like, and not be sneered at. I'm not much of a manga fan for example, but I wouldn't dream of going on somebody's blog and making fun of them. (I'll just pity them in my heart) On the other hand, I understand that some people actually DON'T like Green Lanterns! I don't understand it, but I'm not going to yell at them about it.

Blue Beetle on the other hand, IS awesome, and you should ALL be reading it.

I probably shouldn't go on the message boards and get outraged. I don't comment, because some of those people are INSANE.

Oh, Mallet. I DO read your blog. I even like Namor.

If we could all take our hobbies with a little bit of humor, we'd all be a lot better off. End of sermon.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said...

I try to save the drama fo' my mama, as they say, and just post about things that make me happy in comics. This week has been less than a glowing success for me in that regard, I'll admit.

Still, the whole "I don't like this person" business strikes me as deeply unnecessary. You're right - if you don't like somebody, just drop 'em and let it be. This is a blogosphere about comics, not the lunchroom at Junior High. Yeesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home