Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Manhunter #31

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Manhunter #31

It's back! It is as though it never left! Oh Manhunter, I've missed you. Just like the All-New Atom and Blue Beetle, I was a little bit late in jumping onto the Manhunter bandwagon, but through diligent search of the back issue boxes and trades, I've been able to get all the stories. And unlike poor Atom, which went to pot the minute that Gail Simone left, we still have Marc Andreyko, working his wordly magic. Michael Gaydos is on as the artist now, and he does an excellent job as well.

There is a nice opening sequence that brings everybody up to speed, and also makes this a nice jumping-on point for new readers. Then...boom, we are right into the action, with Kate taking out a rather formidable opponent in the form of the Atomic Skull. This however, is really just the warm-up to the main story. It seems as though there has been a long and systematic reign of terror going on in the El Paso/Ciudad Juarez area, with women turning up dead and missing. Nobody has ever really done much about it, since the victims were all poor and Hispanic. Kate feels badly about this and decides to investigate.

Oh, and some other good stuff happens too,with her real Grandfather, Iron Munroe showing up, and some angst over that, not to mention that Dylan receives a rather grisly present. And Todd shows up! He's got this cool helicopter, and he and Kate go searching in it, over the area where all the murders have taken place. The Mexican authorities show up and Todd has to beat feet, so that the Justice Society doesn't get involved in an international incident, so Kate just jumps out and continues to search on her own. And just as she uncovers a buried hand, who should show up, but...!

Oh come now. El Paso, and who do you think should show up? Frankly the thought of Kate Spencer and Jaime Reyes working together just makes me giggle with delight. I can hardly wait until next month!

I would like to say something about the artwork. Mr. Gaydos does a lovely job of portraying Manhunter as a super hero. Her costume may be tight red leather, but it doesn't look like she's wearing it as a second skin. She actually has hips. She is not wasp-waisted. She looks like a real woman. When she is portrayed wearing her regular clothes, they actually look like clothes that a normal woman would wear. It's wonderful.

7 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Chris - Elseworlds said...

Hey Sally!

My name is Chris Cowan. I'm a filmmaker who loves making films dealing with SciFi and Comicbook Universes. My team and I are creating a new webseries for DC Fans called "Elseworlds". They will be a series of 2-5 minute original story webisodes dealing with some of the famous characters in the DC Universe. I've sent you the link to part one below and also a link to a banner. If you could add it to your blog to help spread the word, you have no idea how much we'd appreciate it! Only reason I ask you is because I know you like GL's and a GL is one of the main characters in this series!

Heres the link, see what you think: DC Elseworlds Part One "Fair Play" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sseVgcEmx1A

Many Thanks in advance and I hope you like it.

-Chris

p.s. - here is a direct link to the banner

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/
n96/RivenX3i/
DCElseworldsBlogBanner.jpg

p.s.s - part two will be out later this week!

dcelseworlds.blogspot.com

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger mattcd42 said...

I was happy that the book already was tackling social issues once more. Something not seen much in comics these days.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

It's sad how Manhunter keeps fading out and coming back, and fading out, and coming back ... DC just needs to leave it alone and let it continue running without interruption. In fact, they need to do that with ALL of their titles. It still irks me to no end that they've "restarted" Green Lantern several times -- and not only restarted the title, but the title numbering! There's no need for that -- they could have just picked up where they left off. It's cool to pick up a copy of Detective Comics these days and see it's numbered in the 800s -- the sign of a LONG and impressive legacy. Other titles deserve the same courtesy.

Hmph. Hmph. Harumph ...

Don't mind me. I'm just ticked off 'cause of tornados.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Indiana HAS been in the news quite a bit lately, I hope that you weren't affected. We get tornadoes in New England, but usually just itty-bitty ones.

But yes, I was quite pleased to see Manhunter just take up where it left off. I guess they just keep starting over, because of that "Magical" number One issue. For some reason people seem to buy number One's like crazy. I always thought it was more important to buy number TWO!

Yes, Matt, I understand that this is a real case that Andreyko is working from.

Chris, I'll see if I can get a teenager to do the technical thingies for you. Good luck with your movie.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

DANG!! I forgot that Manhunter was coming back & I just grabbed my books yesterday.

Sally, to aid in your effort to decrease my allowance that is available for purchasing boardgames, I just added Birds of Prey to my pull list (along with Ambush Bug).

Girly-girl, you're gonna break my wallet!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Chris - Elseworlds said...

Many thanks Sally :)

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

But Dwayne, think of all the joy that you will be bringing into your life. What is poverty compared to that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home