Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: So Many New Comics

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

So Many New Comics

Well this turned out to be something of an expensive week! And Marvel certainly had a crapload of product out there! Too bad I only bought two of their books.

First off, we have Final Crises. I...I hardly know what to say about this book, it has me quite conflicted. On the one hand, it has some marvelous moments, on the other, I am highly confused. I thought that J'onn's funeral was touching and well done, although I found Superman's prayer for a resurrection to be a lot more funny than I should have, considering the solemnity of the moment. I would also have liked to see more of the old JLI gang, but I am assuming that they were stuck in the back or something.

The Japanese heroes were interesting, Dan's problems were creepy, and the villains casually strolling out to their cars was fabulous. John Stewart is in a lot of trouble, and so is Hal. Boy, it didn't take too long for the Guardian's latest brilliant idea to backfire, did it? Batman being taken out so early startled me, and I was horrified to see what looks like Desmond in his tiger form on the dissecting table. Or is that Bronze Tiger? The final page was great though.

I can't really say how this is all going to work out in the end. Granted, it doesn't have that stupid SHIELD helicarrier crashing, but really, hasn't the SHIELD helicarrier crashed about every other Tuesday lately? How exciting can it be anymore? As much as some aspects of it confuse or enrage me, Final Crises DOES have my interest.

Green Lantern just continues to delight me. More on this tomorrow probably.

I'm enjoying Huntress: Year One, quite a bit. The art is lovely, and the story is intriguing.

Jack of Fables came out! Woohoo! Was it me, or was this a bit late? Bigby and his talking horse continue to hunt Jack and his gang of baddies. The bit about Jack paying the guy to make him silver bullets so that he can take out Bigby,and then the poor fellow selling them all to a masked man and his Indian companion was hilarious. Oh, and Babe shows up too.

In JSA:Classified, Ted comes through...as we all knew that he would, but still, it's nice to see. Oh, and Alan was pretty fabulous too.

Superman #677. Wow! Not only did I buy the new Superman written by Geoff Johns, but now I'm buying the new Superman as written by James Robinson! A first for me. This was nice, it reminded me a little bit of Starman, which I loved with a white hot passion. The bit with Superman and Hal playing frisbee with Krypto in space was delightful. Hal's slight touch of forlornness (?) at the end was surprisingly touching. All he really wants is a dog and the love of a good woman? Yeah, right. Oh, and Atlas shows up too.

Thor: Reign of Blood. Now this was good. This was really good, just like the previous one. Man, Thor is something of a bastard, and Odin is a complete horny old jerk. I rather like Loki. Naturally. Good stuff, and gorgeous art.

I'm still sitting on the fence about Trinity. Some parts of it are nice, but the secondary story with Morganna and Enigma is a little irritating, and the other bit with the tarot card-telling girl is dull. Who the heck tagged Wonder Woman with that little Omega symbol? The same symbol that shows up on Darkseid?

I've been reading Uncanny X-Men, because I just can't break the habit, and because it has actually been pretty good. They clear up the whole hippies in San Francisco plot in this issue, not to mention Kurt of all people, hands Omega Red, his shiny behind. Again, some decent art, and a decent story.

I've been avoiding the whole Skrull stuff like the plague. I do find it highly entertaining watching Bendis run around explaining that EVERY last cross-over in the last ten years has been a part of his cunning plan. Apparently in New Avengers, the Skrulls all get together and discuss what they've been up to, how they did it, and what they are going to do in the future, and exactly what tied into the whole thing and so on and so forth. Brian dear, if you have to sit down and EXPLAIN it all to us, instead of just showing us on the page, it is too convoluted.

6 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Final Crisis #2: Yeah, that bit about J'onn's resurrection also made me laugh -- and I don't think I was supposed to laugh. :-\

What honked me off was what happened to Hal and John. What a tired old plot element: "Let's take out the Green Lanterns so we can do whatever we want without the readers going, 'Hey, a GREEN LANTERN can fix that in a heartbeat!'" Grrrrrrrr ...

Last page was nice, though. But I'm still highly skeptical about it. DC has cried wolf way too many times.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The line about J'onn's resurrection is funny, but *sincere* at the same time. It actually sounds like something someone would say, in all earnestness, at a superhero funeral.

Doesn't SHIELD have, like, 3 dozen helicarriers these days or something?

I liked it when SHIELD had THE Helicarrier, and built another one for just about the only potential valid reason - to fight Godzilla.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Thor book too. Among other things, it's the Secret Origin of Amora, the Enchantress, who used to be really nice, as it turns out!

If she's a raging evil bitch today... well, the lady has her reasons.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Ms. P said...

Thor was really great. And apparently don't ever cockblock Odin. He takes it VERY badly.

Sea, they DO seem to be going to great lengths to neutralize the Green Lanterns, don't they? And the Alpha Lanterns have already been compromised. Stupid Guardians! Unless this is a plot on the part of that scarred Guardian somehow. I wouldn't put it past her.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oops. That last comment was actually me. My daughter must have been on the computer, and didn't change the blog thingie back. I HATE it when that happens.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

I don't care much for Final Crisis. At least the Skrull thing is merely convoluted instead of making absolutely no sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home