Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: New Comics...Yay!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Comics...Yay!

This was a relatively small week for me, not like the usual end of the month pile-on. I guess that happens when you have a month with five Wednesdays in it. But Green Lantern Corps FINALLY did come out.

Ambush Bug: Year None #1......Let me state for the record, that if you like subtle forms of humor, then this book is not for you. If on the other hand, you like being clubbed over the head with completely over-the-top silliness, then you are in luck! Fortunately, although I enjoy the former, I also simply adore the latter. This book was incredibly silly. Mind bogglingly silly. Frankly, I loved it.

It finally gave the REAL reason that Jean Loring "accidentally" killed Sue Dibny. It also has such a lovely description of Ambush Bug by his spurned arch enemy Argyle, "...and his feet are soft, and they don't perspire too much..." And apparently, the Phantom Stranger is a bigger player than I thought!

The Brave & the Bold #15......This is the conclusion to the Nanda Parbat story from #14, and it does and excellent job of clearing up exactly why Ollie was being such a jerk. Which doesn't mean that Boston Brand lets him get away with it. Nightwing and Hawkman show up and save the day, and do so, quite handily. The reason that Deadman picks Nightwing is actually quite clever, and I loved the way that the two acrobats interacted.

My only quibble, was that the inking seemed very...thick. As there is no separate Inker listed, I assume that Scott Kolins did his own inking.

Green Lantern Corps #26....WOOHOOOOO!! Oh...damn!

Justice League of America #23.....This was pretty good. Wally had his moment in the spotlight, and handled things pretty well, although it might have behoved him to think about the whole Speedforce thing BEFORE he got his ass handed to him. Oh well, nobody ever said that Wally was the sharpest tack in the box. Vixen seems to be in trouble, and Zatanna got quite a surprise!

Superman #678....The second issue by James Robinson, and it's pretty good. I really enjoyed Clark and Lois's talk over breakfast. "I'm going to play with Krypto. In Space. Me and Hal."

Hee! Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that Krypto either pees on the rug, or chewed up Lois's favorite pair of black shoes, because he really seems to annoy her.

The Kirbyesque flashback sequences to Atlas are also a treat.

Trinity #8....This keeps plugging along, and it is still pretty good. I'm not enthralled, but I'm not repulsed either. Just decent standard comicbookery. The overhead shot of stately Wayne Manor is quite beautifully done, and I enjoyed the whole Bruce-hiding-from-his-guests thingie. Clark really enjoys dining out, and Diana and Etta shopping was fun.

Two-Face: Year One #1.....I wasn't quite sure what to expect withthis, but it was quite nice. Very nice artwork, and a compelling story. Good stuff. I really enjoyed the take on Harvey Bullock. It isn't that he's an honest cop, it's just that he's corrupt in a DIFFERENT way.

Wolverine: First Class #5.....This was good. I'm actually enjoying a Marvel book that isn't Hercules or Thor! This was a little more serious than the more recent issues, but there was a quite amusing bit with Logan patiently trying to explain the whole business of Canada having a Queen to Kitty. The ending was a bit of a downer, but hey, it is the superhero business, you don't win every time. I did snicker at the idea that the Professor was seriously pissed that Logan stole his plane...oh and a student too!

I hope you all enjoyed YOUR comics.

7 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Superman is just so gosh-darn CUTE about his doggy. :-)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

OH, Sally -- Did you see what Pete did to Hal over at FanWank? *Snicker.* :-)

http://fanwank.net/wordpress/

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Mikey said...

Hey - how are you on Flash ass flashing?

http://io9.com/5028775/catwoman-is-a-face+ripping-murderer-in-mk-vs-dc

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Superman LOVES his doggy. Oh yes he does, he's such a good doggy.

I went to Fanwank, which is a highly amusing site, but I didn't see anything with Hal. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Mikey, I'm just fine with Wally's behind. It's not quite on par with a Green Lantern butt, but it is a fine butt on its own merits.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oh, crud, I gave you the wrong link. Sorry about that. Here it is:

http://fanwank.net/wordpress/177-angle-that-mirror-hal/

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Haw!

That's fabulous! Can't you just SEE Hal doing that1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home