Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reviews

Well, this was a fairly small week for me. And STILL no Green Lantern Corps, dammit! I also completely forgot to pick up the Punisher, so I guess I'll have to wait until next week.

This weeks books were :

Birds of Prey
Checkmate
The Flash
The Incredible Hercules
Rogues Revenge
Tangent: Superman's Reign
Trinity
Zorro

Birds of Prey was pretty good. Manhunter and Black Canary spar a bit, and Canary holds back while Manhunter learns a little bit of respect. Dinah is pretty pissy to Barbara however. And Infinity shows up, someone who can walk through walls and be invisible to cameras and such. And you'll never guess who shows up at the end! Well. You'll probably guess.

Checkmate continues the story of Chimera. This is starting to lose me. As Shelly points out, there isn't a whole lot about Checkmate in there. I want to see spies and shenanigans, and Black Kings and White Queens, and mainly, I want to see Fire. Not a lot of that going on, just rather confusing monster battles. Meh.

The Flash was certainly surprising. Iris is aging...rapidly. Wally does manage to get rid of all the bad emotions, and takes that little white gorilla back to Gorilla City. Things however, do not work out well. I am strangely ambivalent about the ending.

In the Incredible Hercules, things do Not Go Well. And apparently, you should never trust cute adorable coyote puppies with glowing green eyes. I'm really trying to stay out of the whole "Skrull" stuff that is going on, but this book is pretty good. Lots of stuff blows up and fights and more stuff. Too bad about Snowbird. Turns out that she had the map, and you just KNOW that the rest of them (being guys) won't EVER stop for directions on the way back.

Rogues Revenge was great. Geoff Johns does a very nice job portraying a world-weary Captain Cold. I have to say that I like this bunch of ne'er-do-wells a lot. A whole lot. And I'm so glad that they punched out that snotty little faux Trickster. Also nice to see Piper. And Libra IS an ass. And Zoom is wicked scary. I'm quite looking forward to the subsequent issues of this.

Tangent: Superman's Reign. I keep forgetting that I'm getting this, and then it turns up in my pull box. It does have an awfully pretty Hal Jordan on the cover, which is a plus. Hal, Flash, Batman and John are all stuck in the Tangent Universe fighting against the Tangent Superman who is a bit of a dillweed. They get their butts handed to them rather easily by the Tangent Power Girl...a fact that is noted by an increasingly exasperated Batman. And there is a nerd version of Guy Gardner, that I simply HAVE to keep reading about. So this is fun in a weird sort of way.

Trinity was pretty darned good. It seemed to get going a little slow at the beginning, but things are picking up now, and including the Justice League is always a nice thing to do. Hawkman shows up too. And John Stewart and Firestorm take a little jaunt down memory lane with Krona which was great.

Zorro came out, which was nice. We are still working on Don Diego's origin, which seems to be stretched out...waaaaaaaay out, but I don't mind. There are sword fights!

Rogues Revenge seems to be my pick of the litter this week. It's really really good.

But I STILL want Green Lantern Corps!

4 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Here, here! I guess GLC really is supposed to be out NEXT Wednesday, though. Fingers are crossed!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

... or is that "hear, hear"?

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ummm...I don't know WHICH way it's supposed to be! Possibly hear, hear? That' ok, I knew what you meant.

Gosh, I hope that GLC comes out next week. I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms, and it ain't pretty.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

I am on holidays so difficult to have comics and to post but I have managed to read Rogue's revenge, some great Johns just with little sentences the characters and their dynamics are exposed, was quite impressed as a would be writer by the economy of word of this, I liked Hercules as each month, great and funny, I have liked the scene with Snowbird and Herc when she throw her boot to him after his macho comment.
Will grab the BoP, Flash and Tangent when I would be back.
Third comics I have read this week is Captain Britain and MI13 and as each month I was delighted, I insist Sally this is very very good, you should try it.

n.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home