Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Better Late than Never

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Better Late than Never

Whew! Finally! I went as usual on Wednesday to pick up my books and discovered that my beloved local Comical Book store had been stiffed by Diamond, so I had to wait an extra day for the books to show up. I was actually pretty restrained, and only sobbed and stomped my dainty foot a little tiny bit. Of course it was QUITE crowded when I did show up on Thursday, as everyone else was champing at the bit as well. I am afraid that I have irredeemably offended another customer, since I couldn't control myself when he showed me a Youngblood book and gushed about what a fabulous artist that Rob Liefeld was. I tried to hold it in, but my laughter just got the better of me. The poor boy was quite bewildered.

*ahem*

Anyway, there were some good books and a few that I'm not quite sure about.

Birds of Prey #121 I liked this, especially the part with the Riddler reacting to whatshisnames mind whammy as being a better rush than Scarecrow's fear toxin. And really, that kid in the stupid costume WAS annoying. I was slightly more disappointed by the portrayal of Misfit at High School. I know that it was based mainly upon movies, but I have to admit that MY High school experiences weren't anything even close to this, and I attended no fewer than THREE different High Schools, due to my Dad getting transferred twice. Man, that sucked.

The Brave & the Bold #16 Now this was very well done. Funny, and interesting. Some people have had some quibbles about it, but it takes place in the past, and I can live with Catwoman having her current costume. It was just so darned cute, from Superman's extreme politeness towards the Gotham police, to Catwoman's disguise for him, that is basically just Clark Kent. He was EXTREMELY self-concious, which was rather endearing. Lots and lots of fun.

Final Crises: Legion of Three Worlds #1 Originally, I wasn't even going to pick this up, because I am not much of a Legion fan. But I am awfully glad that I did, the George Perez artwork is a joy to behold, and Geoff Johns has come through with an excellent story. It doesn't matter if you are a Legion fan or not, you will GET the plot...although I imagine that there are any number of delightful prizes for the Legion loyalists. Plus Jimmie Olsen as a tour guide is JUST so perfect.

The Flash # 243 A happy ending for a change! Nothing too mindblowing, but I'll take a happy ending once in a while.

Justice League of America#24 Hey, this was pretty good! Yes, the JLA finally get their act together and defeat Amazo, but the WAY that they do it, is rather interesting. And Vixen goes and visits Buddy Baker and they do realize that something is out of whack, since Buddy is a vegetarian and he's eating chicken. That's something you don't see every day.

Rann-Thanagar Holy War #4 I think I am going to be dropping this. Too slow, too dull, and I just don't give a damn anymore.

Superman/Batman #51 I don't usually pick this up, but after seeing the cover, how could I resist? Besides, it has artwork by Rafael Albuquerque, and I can NEVER resist him. Quite frankly, this is utterly utterly ADORABLE! Superman and Batman find themselves besieged and bemused by their dopplegangers, courtesy of Mxyzptlk. Sure it SOUNDS old hat, but you just have to see the artwork and dialogue.

<silly

Heehee! Tiny Bats yells out "Kneecap!" as he punches Batman in the...well, the knee. They even have a big fight scene with the rest of the cutest little Justice League that you ever did see. Then they all end up in the Batcave, which has the tiny Leaguers just entranced! Poor Alfred almost has a breakdown when he comes down and sees all the shenanigans. Then Robin shows up.

<silly

Double heehee!

The cute little Batman explains that he learned what Real Evil was, when he saw his parents get shoved right in front of him! And tiny Superman was sent to earth by his parents in a rocket so that he wouldn't get rained on! Superman and Batman just don't have the heart to tell them what it is like in their world. Then all the bad guys show up. And they're just the sweetest and most cute bad guys you've ever seen! I can hardly wait for the next issue! I'm getting diabetes just from reading it!

Trinity #12 Another good issue. This is really starting to pick up for me. Caleb described Trinity the best for me, over on his blog, "Every Day is Like Wednesday" when he said that..."It's like having half of a good issue of the Justice League comic, followed by half of a good issue of the Brave & the Bold." Plus Edward Nigma shows up and fingers...himself?

Tangent: Superman's Reign #6 This is a book that doesn't get much talk, it seems, but I like it. We learn who the Superman of the Tangent universe is, and we get to see more snivelling Guy Gardner, so I'm happy.

The Punisher #61 Wow, this sure came out fast after Garth Ennis's last issue, only a week ago. It really isn't bad at all. But it is going to be tough to live up to Ennis's legacy.

The Incredible Hercules #120 This book is just fun. It is about the only Secret Invasion book that I will actually read, and lo and behold, things HAPPEN in this book. And Snowbird isn't dead, which is nice. Seriously, the first page recap is one of my favorite things in comics.

I hope that everyone enjoyed their books this week.

8 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oh. My. God. "I'm the Goshdarn Batman!" I HAVE to get that. I just HAVE to.

Heh, heh, heh ... I wish they would do something similar with the Green Lantern Corps. Just the idea of little versions of Guy, Kilowog, Salaak, Hal, Kyle, and the rest cracks me up. :-)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Cove West said...

The frustrating thing about those two Albuquerque panels? I can't decide whether I want him pencilling ACTION, DETECTIVE, ROBIN, TEEN TITANS, TINY TITANS, JLA, METAL MEN, or hoard him like a One Ring in BLUE BEETLE. The perfection in each aspect, from the Disney/Warner cartoonish hybrid of the Li'l League to the scary Mahnke/Breyfogle-ish Batman -- in the SAME PANEL, no less! -- is astounding. He can do seventeen issues a month, right?

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Something else -- They really should have had a Li'l HAL saying "Ugh, girls" instead of a Li'l John. Now THAT would have been funny. :-)

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Plus Edward Nigma shows up and fingers...himself?"

That made me laugh. Because I am 12.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yeah, anonymous, I looked at that after I wrote it, and figured that it sounded a whole lot dirtier than I had intended, but what the hey.

Albuqueque could draw just about ANYTHING, and I would buy it.

I'd KILL, for teensy cutesy
Green Lanterns, Sea! Wouldn't a little Kilowog and Guy and Kyle be just too adorable for words?

Albuquerque is nice, because he is good with expressions, and his figures aren't hideously over-muscled. Heck, Robin actually looks like a teenager. I did feel for Alfred however, who is probably huddled in a corner of the library, sobbing to himself.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Supes/Bats 51 is out already? Thanks for the scans, that has now made it to a priority buy list!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Stephen said...

gonna have to get that super/batman issue haven't given the series a try but i liked the pages you scanned.

legion of three worlds is great i love superboyprime, i thinbk i'll read anybook he's in.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

This Supes/Bats arc is Cracky Cracky Crack. But of the good kind.

And drawn by Rafael Albuquerque.

What else can possibly be said??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home