Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Time to Pause and Reflect

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Time to Pause and Reflect

Well...there were some good comics. Some that were a little odd. Some that just keep going on and on and on and on...and so on. My store didn't have Blue Beetle, nor Wolverine: First Class, which was a shame.

Is it me, or was it a little strange to have Marvel bring out practically every book they do with the word "Avengers" in the title all in one week? Is it a little odd that in "New Avengers" there apparently WEREN'T any Avengers, New or otherwise at all? Just a skrull clone of Reed Richards. I've been pretty much NOT picking up the whole Secret Invasion thingie, because it just seems to be treading water. Every week, there are more and more and more skrulls, but nothing much happens. I noticed in Previews that this whole thing is still going on in November, and immediately got a headache. For the love of God, how much Skrullery can one nation take? I don't want to be rude, but in the old days, Jack and Stan would have done this entire story in one or two books. Remember when they took a whole THREE issues to talk about Galactus? It was called the "Galactus Trilogy" and it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nowadays, three issues just about covers Wolverine and Spider-Man looking at each other...quizzically.

Do you all remember that book that had the Ultimate Hulk tear the Ultimate Wolverine in half? That's right, it last came out a year or two ago. Well, apparently, the writer has FINALLY turned in the next issue. And I thought that Kevin Smith was late. Oh wait. He is. Gosh, I'm just being SOOOOO snarky today.

Rogues Revenge #2 was good. Really good. Don't try to replace the originals son, if you can't walk the walk. Heh.

I was so thrilled that the final issue of Teen Titans: Year One came out. It was...nice. But a little odd for a finale. And it went so quickly, I kept looking back to see if I had missed some pages or something. And Roy wasn't even in it. Still head and shoulders above the REGULAR Titans however. Eeyuck.

Brad Metzler's Last Will and Testament was a bit on the odd side. It didn't seem to mesh too well with Final Crises for one thing, but I suppose that I shouldn't let things like that surprise me. It did seem to dwell an awful lot on Geo-force. I mean...Geo-force? But man, that Joe Kubert artwork was beautiful.

Trinity was good. I'm enjoying Trinity. There, I've said it. Jack of Fables was a hoot as usual. Magog shows up in Justice Society. I hope that they give him some pants. Oh, and Hawkman is being a dick. The last issue of Catwoman was rather fun. James Robinson's Superman had its moments...primarily the last page. Woohoo! I found Superman Beyond to be a bit on the cunfusing side, until I went back and read it a few times. No doubt it will make sense in the end.

So, not a bad Wednesday all things considered. But if I never see another Skrull, it will be too soon. The only book that I've been enjoying in this whole crossover has been the Incredible Hercules.

BOY, am I cranky.

6 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

>>BOY, am I cranky.<<

That's 'cause you didn't get any Blue Beetle or Green Lantern this week, my dear. Things will get better. :-)

>>Nowadays, three issues just about covers Wolverine and Spider-Man looking at each other... quizzically.<<

I blame Brad Meltzer.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'm with you on Secret Invasion. It feels as if it's been going forever, and as if it's never. . . going. . . to freaking. . . END.

And I'm not even reading it (except when it keeps spilling over into books I was already buying, not unlike a backed-up toilet).

Hmm. Perhaps that was a bit harsh. Or perhaps not. I'm of two minds on the subject, so I may just need to scar half my face and start flipping a coin.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magog's lack of pants seems to be the main thing everyone brings away from this month's JSA.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Not only did Diamond stiff my store on Blue Beetle, but ALSO Ambush Bug. This is the second week in a row that Diamond has done something stupid, and I'm starting to get irate.

Brad Meltzer for some reason decided that everone wanted to see Geoforce go up against Slade to avenge Terra, except that took place TWENTY YEARS ago, and I really wasn't that all-fired up about seeing Geoforce do anything. It would have been nice to see more of the OTHER characters.

Oh, and on the last page, they got Hal's costume wrong.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I think Brad Meltzer has also popularized the notion of having superheroes standing around and talking instead of actually DOING something. That approach works fine for a prose-only novel, but not so well in a picture-based medium like comic books. I likes me some fightin' to go with my jawin'!

That didn't come out right ...

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

That's ok, I know what you meant.

Calvin, may I just congratulate you on your very appropriate metaphor! A backed-up toilet REALLY sums up my feelings about Skrullery.

And I'm not COMPLAINING about Magog's lack of pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home