Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Why it is a Good Thing, that Aquaman is back

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Why it is a Good Thing, that Aquaman is back

I LIKE Aquaman. He's not my absolute favorite of course, but there IS some green in his costume which helps. But let me make this absolutely clear, that by Aquaman, I mean the OLD Aquaman, in the green and orange, with the short blonde hair and both of his hands. And his finny friend. And the giant seahorse. And the octopus.

Like some of you, I first came to know Aquaman from those blissful Saturday mornings stretched out in front of the television watching Super Friends. Yes...I'm old. So old. But I liked him. And he seemed to have a nice time hanging out in the Justice League with all of his friends, even if he didn't seem to do a lot. But there was potential, dammit!

silly

How can you not like a person who does this sort of thing?

silly

And this? I believe that I filched these from Scipio, who has TONS of really fabulous Aquaman pictures.

And I loved...LOVED the Year One mini-series of the Justice League, where Hal was an ass, and Barry was earnest, and Arthur kept mumbling because sound carries differently underwater than it does on land. Was that Mark Waid who wrote that? I really should actually go and look in the boxes, because I haven't read it for a while, and it was GREAT!

*ahem*

Then of course, they had to go and make Aquaman all grim and gritty, and boring with long hair and a harpoon, and his teeth clenched all of the time. Did anybody in the '90's EVER unclench their teeth? No wonder they were all so cranky all the time.

You know who else did a rather fun Aquaman? Kevin Smith, when he brought back Oliver Queen from the dead, and he meets up with Arthur, who is beating the bejeesus out of the Black Manta, and Ollie is shocked, and starts into his spiel about fat cats and so on, and Arthur is just flabberghasted. Then Ollie tells him that he should never have changed his look, that orange just SUITS him, and Arthur actually listens! And HUGS him! It was a heartwarming moment, and probably the best "OMG, YOU'RE BACK FROM THE DEAD" sequence ever. Considering how often people come back from the dead, you would think that there would be some acknowledgement of that fact once in a while, but they are all so lackadaisacal about it.

Well anyway. I'm glad that Aquaman is apparently back. I say "apparently" because we really haven't been given a whole lot of information yet in Final Crises, other than the sight of him in all of his scaly orange glory, riding on the giant seahorse! Woohoo!

Now, if they could just put him and Barry back in the Justice League....

8 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

YEP, that was Mark Waid on JLA: Year One. I loved his turn on Brave and Bold, too. He REALLY understands the Big Seven (or at least he understands the guys). I loved the sequence between Hal and Aquaman in Year One, where Hal thought he was "the leader" and Aquaman called him on it. Too funny. Waid writes a good Martian Manhunter, too. :-)

And, AGREED, Kevin Smith's depiction of Aquaman in Quiver was perfect, and a heck of a lot of fun: "Old superheroes never die -- they just smell that way!" Heh, heh, heh.

Aquaman should only be written by Mark Waid or Kevin Smith. ;-)

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger FoldedSoup said...

Oh.. man. I just had a thought...

With Barry, Hal and now Arthur back, DC could pull an X-Factor with the original JLA cast. They could even use J'onn as the Jean Grey resurrection catalyst.

Please, no.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, they'll end up back in the league. They're both Big Seven, and Barry always supercedes Wally.

I didn't know Aquaman was back, though. I know he got replaced by the new version, who is also Arthur Curry, but with soulless black eyes. Last I heard, the original was still being all crazy and amnesiac at the bottom of the ocean.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I don't fully understand HOW they brought him back yet...and you may notice that nothing has really been said either. What happened to the new guy? The original was squatting on the ocean floor, all fugly for a while, but then he "died" too, and I really don't have a clue.

I don't really care. I just like having him back, and looking the way that he's supposed to.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger googum said...

I would probably be OK if DC just brought back Aquaman, no explanation, he just strolls back in late one afternoon. Like the tide, though, Aquaman ebbs and flows in popularity. The old Seanbaby site had a line that just skewers him: "If you don't think Aquaman is useless, try rowing everywhere you have to go next week." That one kind of ruined him for me for a couple of years...

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I did see Aquaman in the last issue of Final Crisis, but I assumed it was the new boring one... Now you got me hooked on this.

Aquaman was an interesting character, but he got so messed up. It was evident DC didn't know what to do with him, and so, they perverted him beyond recognition and got rid of him when they had ruined him beyond repair. I, for once, would be glad if he's back, even if I also like to use Aquaman as the butt of the joke :P, but hey, it's Aquaman!

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Did anyone see the recent episode of the Daily Show? Jon Stewart was talking about Michael Phelps, and they showed a clip of Aquaman racing Black Manta. And on a much earlier show, they were showing a picture of the Supreme Court, with Aquaman standing in for one of the judges.

Jon Stewart loves Aquaman!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

SallyP, you really should find that clip to show it to us :D. It'd be fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home