Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Bounty

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bounty

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by my comics this week. There were more of them than I expected, for one thing. And a few that I was feeling ambiguous about, but which turne dout better than I had anticipated. That's always a good thing.

All-Star Superman has come to a close, alas. It took a while, but the story and the art were so amazing that I didn't mind. When it came out, I was delighted. When it didn't, I shrugged, and moved on. But now it's over, and I'm sad...because this was one HECK of a Superman story. There were so many little things to like. For example, Superman revealing himself as Clark, and they just can't bring themselves to believe it, so Jimmy asks all bright-eyed if Clark is hanging out at the Fortress, and you can almost SEE Superman sigh, and agree with him. I also liked him calling Lex on his fantasy that Lex is going to save the world once Superman is gone. If Lex REALLY wanted to help people, he'd have done it by now.

Very satisfying, and very very very good.

Birds of Prey was nice. Always good to see Zinda, Huntress and Misfit, not to mention Babs. Pity about poor Manhunter, but Kate deserves a little vacation. Also, Barbara really should check out who is actually at the door before she opens it. Seems to be a thing with her.

Action Comics was nice. I really can't believe that they had to change the cover, to make it ABSOLUTELY SURE that Clark and Pa Kent were sucking down sodey pop, and not demon rum...or something. Please. Kara has hissy fits, and Brainiac emotes.

DC Universe: Decisions. This was something of an impulse buy for me. When it was first solicited, I curled my lip, and raised my eyebrows in disdain...but I have to say that it really wasn't bad! Of COURSE Ollie would be impulsive and a knee-jerk Liberal. Of COURSE Hal would have a fit about it. Wonder Woman's reaction actually made me laugh...and I'm REALLY looking forward to the next issue. A certain red-headed Green Lantern is on the cover, and I can hardly wait.

Trinity continues to deliver a good story...or actually pair of stories. It's not getting as much buzz as 52 or Countdown it seems, but it also isn't receiving the hatred that Countdown engendered either.

I keep reading the Tangent book. I'm always slightly surprised when it shows up, but it has been a decent read...not spectacular, but not bad either.

I LOVED Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam. Loved it. It is a surprisingly dense read, there is a LOT of story packed into this book. The art by Mike Kunkel is adorable...there's no other way to put it...and using little Theo Adam as a schoolyard bully is just SO appropriate.

I liked the Flash. It was nice to see that there were indeed consequences for what happened with the kids last issue. And super bees are always fun. It looks as though there are going to be changes in store for Wally, and it is an interesting that the used continuity to make those changes.

The Incredible Hercules has to be my favorite Marvel book, this one was hilarious from start to finish, with Herc and Namora making whoopie on an island, while Amadeus resignedly reads a Namor comic book. The deli scene with Ares and Hippolyta is also a hoot. I am SO looking forward to the next issue..."Aqua-Herc vs. Sub-Jerk!" Heh.

The Punisher was...ok. I'm still missing Garth Ennis, but it was adequate. Fortunately, there is going to be a Garth Ennis mini-series with the Punisher coming out in a few months. Ma Gnucci! I do hope that he punches a polar bear again.

I actually bought a Secret Invasion book, Matt Fraction's version of Thor. I couldn't resist because...well, because it was Thor, and because it had Beta Ray Bill in it. Actually pretty good, but BOY am I tired of Secret Invasion...and I'm not even reading it! It seems as though it has been going on for months and months and months...and yet nothing much ever really seems to happen. Look, Hercules KILLED off the Skrull God, LAST! Shouldn't that mean that the whole point of the invasion is moot? Stupid Skrulls.

10 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Wanna know how to REALLY enjoy reading "Shazam"? Imagine all of Cap's lines being said by Patrick Warburton.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That works for Blue Beetle too, incidentally - Peacemaker *is* Brock Samson!

That Action Comics cover thing is ridiculous. I can... sort of... I guess... get how they might get skittish about Superman "endorsing" alcohol, but the worst thing about it is how awful the revision looks!

What, the Kents are so poor they can only afford generic "Soda Pop?" I don't get why they couldn't have just fiddled with the lettering a little and made it "Crow Root Beer," in the venerable tradition of comics' most famous WWI flying ace, Snoopy.

That might even have been the artist's intention, actually... What else would appear on a label "Crow (some 4-letter word) Beer?" (And since Frank Miller wasn't involved, we can probably rule out several possibilities.)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

So, is OLLIE the one Hal kept calling an idiot, per Scipio's post?

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, if ya wanna get technical about it, he keeps calling him a fool...

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Reynolds said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Reynolds said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Reynolds said...

About the Superman drinking beer thing.

They made a big deal in the 1978
Superman movie that he doesn't drink.

People didn't seem to care that Clark had a beer with Jimmy in Superman Returns.

Where was the outrage back then?

P.S. With the red headed Green Lantern on the cover. I thought of you because they cut off the cover to deny you the but shot but if you look close at the poster you get a good look at the boy's . . . um man parts.

P.P. I screwed up my post. I'm such a noob.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Baal said...

"This post has been removed by the author."

I'm easily confused. Does this mean that the author of the comment deleted or the author of the original post? If it's the latter, I am horrified that someone would post something here that would warrant being deleted. shame on them!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I didn't delete it! I don't even know how! Although I DID recently discover the "edit" button, so I'm getting fewer accidental postings, which is a bonus.

Yes, Hal calls Ollie a fool SEVERAL times. Hanging his head, and sighing, no less.

*snicker*

If they were going to change the cover of Action Comics to make those bottle say "soda pop" then they should have been a little more on the ball, and made it "SODER pop", which I remember from Resurrection Man, as being a DC brand of soft drink. THAT would have been cool.

Or Birch Beer. I LOVE Birch Beer. Which seem to be mostly a New England thing.

When you think about it, of COURSE Captain Marvel would sound like Puddy.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Heavy T. Skubbs said...

I'm not even sure what's going on in Secret Invasion but as far as I know the Hercules situation hasn't come up. I could be wrong though since they're still apparently going around spouting "He Loves You." Maybe it wasn't the real Skrull god, which would be a disappointing cop out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home