Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Black Lanterns

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, November 07, 2008

Black Lanterns

There has been quite a bit of speculation concerning just who is going to turn up as a Black Lantern in the forthcoming Green Lantern plotline next year. Even Geoff Johns has gotten in on the fun, throwing out hints here and there.

Since there are a LOT of dead people in the DC Universe, the possibilities are practically endless. I'm not sure if the bestowing of Lanternhood only applies to the more recently deceased, or if people/aliens/etc. that have been dead for a LONG time also qualify. For examply, I'm sure that Jonathan Kent could be a viable candidate, but what about Jor el? And wouldn't THAT be awkward when the two of them get together?

There are a lot of people who USED to be dead, but aren't anymore. Will they have any empathy, or special connectiveness with the Black Lanterns? Look at Tora, she's back amongst the living, but will she feel anything in common with Kari Limbo? Or will there be a necrophilic catfight? And how much would Guy Gardner enjoy it?

Speaking of dead catfights, Kyle is the one that really has it bad. He's got dead girlfriends, mothers, and casual acquaintances all OVER the place. Will John get to visit with Katma? Will Hal get to have a sit down and a beer with his Dad? What about his Mom? Is she STILL cranky? Or will she just go off and sit with Jack and give Hal the cold shoulder?

I must admit to being quite fascinated by this pending storyline. It just opens up a whole new can of wormfood.

9 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Deadman is going to become SO confused ...

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Heh...I never thought of that!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Tony Z™ said...

Under the assumption (and I don't know why I assume this) that at the end of the storyline, the Black Lanterns will be defeated and gone: Will the characters brought back to life go back to being dead, or is this a door being opened to return dead characters back to being alive?

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

Ted Kord. Oh Ted Kord, I don't know if I want you to be a Black Lantern or not, because it might just be another "Hey, let's bring Ted back but not really!" tease and you'll die again at the end!

I'm a little concerned because Tora's resurrection has never been fully explained. I mean, we know that dying Russian guy brought her back, but... I mean... how? You know what would be freaky? If a Black Lantern ring came to her, and she's like "But I'm not dead! Wait... am I?"

There are so many possibilities, but other than Katma and Kari Limbo, I think my favorite would be Black Lantern Max Lord. I want to see it happen. Badly.

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm rather hoping that Ted Doesn't show up, since that would prove that he's still alive after all the stuff that went on in Booster Gold.

But yes, I'd LOVE to see Max Lord. The REAL Max Lord. And ALL the dead JLAers. Well...maybe except for Maxima. She was a bit of a pain.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I think Katma Tui is definitely in the Black Lantern list. I wouldn't like to have Ted show up, though, even if he's one of my favorites, I wouldn't like to see him torn into villainhood.

The Martian Manhunter would certainly join the ranks as well. He's too much of a big character to let him fade into nothingness. Of course, by the end of the storyline, he would be coming back to life,lol.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

After reading the Jimmy Olsen Special last month, I think it would be really interesting to see the original Guardian, the original Newsboy Legion, and Dubbilex come back sporting rings.

Come to think of it, the Kirby DC characters have been used mostly as cannon fodder within this last year. We could have a whole subsection of the Black Lantern Corps consisting of Kirby characters alone.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Eldest said...

I'm just waiting for Kyle's girlfriend to crawl out of the fridge with a Black Lantern ring on... was that in poor taste?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

Jordan, I actually think it's a good idea :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home