Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: So, What DID come out on Wednesday?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, December 26, 2008

So, What DID come out on Wednesday?

It was a fairly small week, but a pretty GOOD week, all things considered. Now of course, we'll all have to wait until next Friday for another dose of Comical goodness, but them's the breaks, I suppose.

I have mentioned before, that I'm not a huge Batman fan. That said, I have been enjoying Grant Morrison's latest work with the whole Batman R.I.P. storyline, even though I only have bought the last few issues. Maybe it is because I'm not a huge Bat-fan, that makes it so enjoyable...I'm not invested in it emotionally. I guess if Grant Morrison had been pulling the same shenanigans with the Green Lanterns, I'd be going ape-shit crazy.

That said, I thought that Batman #683 was really good. It's a nice little filler story, explaining what happened after Bats fought the Bad Guys, and the whole imprisoned by Darkseid story. It's nice to see that Batman can STILL be completely dangerous, even in the fix that he's currently in. I also don't believe for a minute, that he won't be back...eventually.

Billy Baton and the Magic of Shazam #3 is delightful. It doesn't come out that often, but the book is so large and so dense, that it seems as though you are getting the equivalent of several regularly sized books at once. Mike Kunkel's artwork is as endearing as always, and it's a fun story. It has Mary Marvel being...well, herself instead of evil and sexy. And Black Adam is great!

The Brave and the Bold #20 continues its storyline with Hal Jordan, and his rather bizarre team-up with the Phantom Stranger. Things are going to hell in a handbasket rather quickly on a Green Lantern's home world, and as usual, the Guardians stand around going "Huh?" There are even several very nice shots of Hal's ass.

The Flash #247 has Wally going up against the Queen Bee, for Linda's life, not to mention Jai and Iris's. Oh, and the original Titans show up and are even helpful and all. Wally manages to tap into the Speed Force again, with Iris's help, the Queen Bee gets hers, and there is a...a HAPPY ENDING! Happy! There has been a bit of grumbling about the return of Barry, and the possible neglect of Wally. I don't really think that is going to happen, Wally is, and will always be...Flash. Maybe not the ONLY Flash, but frankly, the more the merrier. He's got a happy ending...or at least a happy interlude, and when I consider the things that they COULD have done to him, I'm grateful.

The Punisher: War Zone #3 continues Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's madcap revisiting of the Ma Gnucci story with considerable zest and zeal. Yes, it is completely over the top. Yes it is mind-bogglingly violent. I...Do...Not...Care. It has the Punisher shooting things, and that always makes me happy. Especially when depicted by Ennis and Dillon. It is a little like having Preacher back for a couple of issues. Good mindless fun.

Thor #12 is pretty good, and beautifully drawn as usual. That's quite a twist there, with exactly whose body Loki has been...borrowing.

Trinity is consistantly entertaining.

Wonder Woman #27. Well the proverbial shit has hit the proverbial fan! The Amazons are back, but will they be back for long, if Zeus has his way? On the other hand, seeing the Olympic Gods running around in spandex, is a hoot. Diana is in a bad way, and Director Steel has gone completely off of his noodle. And it look as though the lasso is a lot more dangerous than we ever thought. This is really really good.

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I still have to read most of the stuff you listed, Sally, but I did read Flash and, well, I'm glad they didn't kill him or his family and I'm really looking forward to an entire happy family of Flashes. I'm 100% cool with this.

Still, I found this issue a little lacking considering it is the closing of the entire series. I mean, I really didn't want a tragic ending, but something more epic would have been welcomed. I mean-- The Queen Bee? Even mentioning her makes me giggle and I'm not a girl :P

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Mana G said...

The Punisher is at his best when he is merely shooting things. It makes everyone happy.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Granted, the Queen Bee isn't the most scary villain out there, but she does her best. I like the Rogues, but they've been a little busy lately, and I imagine that they are going to be throwing them up against Barry anyway.

However, considering it would have been SO easy to kill off Iris and the kids and have Wally go bonkers with grief, I'm simply relieved.

Yes, the Punisher is a simple man at heart...and is happiest just shooting things. Or blowing things up. Or blowing things up and shooting them again.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Ironic said...

Did you read Final Crisis Secret Files? Mandrakk...meh....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home