Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Starman Omnibus #2

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Starman Omnibus #2

Huzzah! The second opus of Starman was indeed at my beloved Comic Book Shoppe, and I managed to get my greedy little hands on it. Matt had ordered four copies, and they all went lickety split.

It's a lovely hardcover edition, and it just happens to include the issues from Starman #17 through 29. In addition, they threw in the first Starman Annual, and issue #12 from Showcase '95 and issues #4 and 5 from Showcase '96 for good measure. It ain't cheap, but I think that it's a good value nevertheless. I've been trying to track down some of the early issues from Starman for quite some time, and now I don't have to.

Incidentally, the Starman Omnibus #3 is supposed to come out on June 17, which incidentally is my birthday, so my Sweet Baboo has a ready-made PERFECT present for me this year. It is also a much smaller gap in the amount of time between the release of #2 and #3, because it has simply been AGES since the first one came out, I think it was possibly spring of LAST year.

There's even a nice foreward from Tony Harris,who did so much of the very distinctive artwork, and an afterward by James Robinson, AND a whole bunch of the "Times Past" type entries from the Shade's Journal, that are sweet indeed.

So...if you happen to have an extra $50 or so lying around, and are in the mood for a REALLY fabulous story and art, this is definitely the way to go. And unlike stocks or bonds or even a meal in a nice restaurant, this will stay with you, and can be taken out and re-read any time that you like.

Starman is a bit like Blue Beetle to me. I like Jack, the central character of course, but I like the supporting cast even more, such as Shade and the O'Dares, Mikaal, Ted Knight, the Dibny's and even the city of Opal itself. Really really good stuff.

4 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

$50! Wow. I'm used to the hardcover editions being pricey, but it's still a shock to hear about it. I still need to go pick up the latest Neal Adams collection, but those are pricey, too!

Glad you finally got your Omnibus, Sally! Now, the question is, is #3 REALLY going to come out when they say it is? ;-)

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I sure HOPE that the third volumn comes out when they say it will. I can't really understand why it wouldn't, actually, it is all printed material, it isn't as though they are waiting on an artist or a writer, although I suppose writing a foreward or two takes a little bit of time.

But yes, it's not cheap. On the other hand, there is a LOT of content, so I suppose that it all works out in the end. Expensive or not, they flew off the shelf at my comic book store.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Tony Z™ said...

I tried to get into Starman when it came out, and just couldn't seem to do it. A collection might be a good way to do, so I can read a good chunk all at once and get sucked it. But $50? Ow. Are there Starman trades? LOL!

And I gave you an award:
http://comicsnthings.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-got-premio-dardo.html

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Tony, there are quite a number of trades, but some of them are out of print, so it is hard to find quite a bit of the earlier stuff. But the softcover trades of the later work are pretty readily available and fairly inexpensive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home