Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: How Soon We Forget

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How Soon We Forget

I'm still wallowing in nostalgia, and it occured to me that DC has one HELL of a lot of underused characters. ALL characters posses an enormous amount of potential...with the possible exception of Geo-Force...and it would be nice to see more of them plucked from an undeserving anonymity.

I am of course, only referring to most of MY favorite underused characters. Your own mileage may vary. And there are SOME characters that I am not at ALL sorry to see fall into Comic Book Oblivion. The New Guardians from Millenium spring most readily to mind in this category, for example.

But it has been only a few months, and I already miss Jaime Reyes, the new Blue Beetle, not to mention his amazing supporting cast of Milagro, Mr. & Mrs. Reyes, Paco and Brenda. I also sincerely hope that Peacemaker isn't going to simply ride into the sunset. Fortunately, we will soon be reading about Jaime as the new back-up feature in Booster Gold, and about Kate Spencer aka Manhunter in one of the Bat books.

Both Fire and Ice are being needlessly underused at the moment. Since Checkmate ended, we've hardly seen Fire, except occasionally as a cameo in a different book two, and it is the same thing with Ice. I'm eternally grateful that she was brought back from the dead, but let' USE her! I also miss Obsidian and Sandy. They may be members of the Justice Society, but let's face it, except for occasionally showing up in a group shot, they haven't had much to do or say in AGES. Neither has Doctor Mid-Nite, for that matter. I'd kill to see the Shade pop up somewhere, not to mention Detective Chimp and Infectious Lass. She's my favorite Legion member.

At least John Stewart is getting some exposure in both Green Lantern and the Justice League. Despite being an excellent character, and one of my favorites, for some reason, John has a tendancy to be overlooked, which is a shame. The cost for being competent instead of flamboyant, I suppose.

It has only been a short amount of time, but I already miss the charming ladies from Birds of Prey. At least Oracle has her mini-series, although that's coming to an end soon, and Black Canary and Huntress have things to do. But what about Misfit? Or Zinda? Surely there is a place in comics for a gorgeous, time-displaced, hard-drinking Blonde pilot? Introduce her to Hal...he'd dump Cowgirl in a New York minute.

Ollie and Dinah have their own book...but what about Mia? For that matter,what about Conner? He was shot, then in a coma, and then miraculously revived with new powers, and that's been the last we've seen of him for quite a while. I LIKE Conner. He's been pretty much invisible. So has Sin and Eddie Fyers for that matter. At least Roy will be in Titans, after his unceremonious departure from the Justice League.

Enough whining...I guess.

Are there any characters that YOU miss, or feel are being underused?

12 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Maddy said...

I miss Oracle and the Birds, especially as I have not been enjoying Oracle: The Cure.

I would dearly love to see Cassandra Cain continue to move away from the whole brainwashed-killer-villain thing. (The Network helped with that, but it made Huntress seem kind of crappy in the process, which is a shame.)

Ideally I'd love to see a Batgirl/Spoiler series. Even just a mini! And yeah, Jaime and his supporting cast are ones I'm looking forward to seeing again as well.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

From the ones you mention, I guess the one I miss the most are Fire and Ice. They made quite the pair of friends. Ever since Tora's death and the sudden seriousness of Beatriz, things kind of fell apart--

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Moriarty said...

I miss Martian Manhunter. The oreo-loving, heart of the JLA one... not the deformed-head, full-blue-costumed one.

I also still kind of miss Ch'p, but Red Lantern Rage Kitty has at least filled the "cute creature with most powerful weapon in the universe" quota for me.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Siskoid said...

It's a big question, one I'd have a mind to pick up a stack of Who's Whos to answer.

But for recent characters that fell off the radar, I'd dare mention the All-New Atom. There's a guy who deserves at least a back-up.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Over at Marvel, Nightcrawler has ALWAYS been underused -- and all too often inappropriately used. :-(

As for DC, the Justice Society is starting to have X-men-type problems, in that there are so darned many members, most of them never get a "day in the sun," as it were.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger googum said...

I liked the Mark Shaw Manhunter--that mask design always seemed awesome to me. I thought I heard he was getting involved with the Order of St. Dumas, but I don't know what happened with that.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger The one letter wonder said...

Reading this made me giggle at the thought of Hal and Zinda together (and not in a bad way,lol). I don't know if Hal could handle Ms. Blake and her wild ways, but it sure would be fun to see him try :)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Doctor Polaris said...

Me.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

These are all wonderful choices, and I must say that I concur with ALL of them.

Especially Doctor Polaris, but I'm just a sucker for a Bad Boy.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I want Mia back.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Haven't seen Mia in ages. And Nightcrawler is criminally underused. He's the most interesting X-man that they've got!

Moriarty, there is also B'dge from the Green Lantern Corps who is also adorable. He has a habit of bonking his enemies with giant green acorns.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

Gaaah. One of the more disappointing Missed Opportunities in recent comics has been the asinine explanation of Connor's powers.

Hopefully, in a year or two, the whole "Plastic Man Gene Splice" thing will get quietly swept under the rug, when someone realizes that bathing in dragon's blood is a much more elegant and interesting explanation for enhanced physical and regenerative abilities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home