Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: There's a Girl in the Clubhouse revisited

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

There's a Girl in the Clubhouse revisited

So...I went to my beloved local Comical Book store today to pick up my new books...and had a deLIGHTful time. I mean, I always have a nice time, in that I am picking up books that I want to read, and I get to pat the head of the lifesize Spider-Man statue in the corner. But today was especially nice.

Matt, the proprietor wasn't there today, but his trusty cohort Andy, was, so we were chatting in a desultory fashion, when another gentleman, whom I had not seen before, but whom Andy knew, joined in, and the next thing you know, we were in a Nerd Frenzy. We talked about Batman, we talked about Superman, we discussed Blackest Night, Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, the price of artist's work on e-bay, the possible spoilers, and practically anything else. Various other customers were attracted and joined in, and it...it was just fun, talking about a topic that I am so fond of, with other people.

I mean, I get to talk about comics every day, when I log on the computer, and I do love it, but somehow, it is a little more immediate when you are doing it face-to-face, which is not something that I get to do too often.

And the nicest part, the VERY nicest part, is that I, a middle-aged Woman, was accepted without reservation. There wasn't any one-upmanship going on, or sideways looks, or "What's a GIRL doing in here!" which i have run into before upon occasion. Not often, thankfully, but sometimes.

So, I'm happy. Hot still, but happy, and content, and I'm going to sit down with a cold drink and read my books.

Guy pictures

Incidentally, none of the guys could understand why I was upset with Kyle for lying to Soranik.

*sigh*

7 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I keep getting that, too! The not understanding about why I'm mad at Kyle thing, I mean. (Yes, I'm still mad at him. The downside of monthly comics is that he doesn't get a chance to redeem himself for at least an entire month!)

But it is nice to be able to talk face to face with someone about something you're passionate about, isn't it? My local shop isn't really as full of comic geeks as I'd like, unfortunately, because it's one of those interesting shops that deals in used records, books, videos, toys, and such too. It's a great place to find really weird stuff, but not all the clerks are really up on the comic happenings.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Here in Indianapolis, we just had GenCon (kind of like Comic-Con for the gaming crowd), and all of my male friends were just AGHAST at how many WOMEN were at GenCon this year. They were actually HAPPILY aghast -- apparently, many had good, intelligent gaming conversations with women. Suddenly, women no longer seem like an alien species to them.

A few of them are also planning to get in shape for NEXT YEAR's convention. ;-) Too funny!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

See, this is why I don't understand why all the nerds were upset about the teenage girls that were Twilight fans at the Sand Diego show. There are pretty young girls there, that you can talk to...what's so terrible about that?

Twits.

But yes, it was fun to just have a conversation in person. Still...it's also fun to talk here.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

My comic shop is pretty great, it's tiny with 3 very friendly folks working there, but i'm usually too shy to chat about my books.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

Really? Wow. My best friend and I (both straight males) were unpleasantly surprised by Kyle's revelation. I think the exact phrasing was, "Jeez, Kyle, you IDIOT!"

I think "smack that boy with a yellow baseball bat" came up, too.

Now, I'll be mildly irked (though not surprised, alas) if it turns out that Soranik actually DID see Kyle, in turn. By my definition and personal bias, it's not TRUE love unless it's MUTUAL.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Truxillogical said...

Hey. Just stumbled on this blog (how could I pass up something with a name like that?), and I just wanted to say I'm already a fan!

I love those rare moments when you actually get watercooler talk at the comicshop (unless it's the one Simpsons-esque guy cornering you into listening to his diatribe as to why Batman: Brave and the Bold is an affront to true comicdom and causes him physical pain). Girls in the LCS don't even raise an eyebrow down here, so long as you can talk shop.


OT, I know, but I think why people where miffed about the Twilight fans at SD is that a lot of them don't consider themselves geeks, and don't want to have anything to do with "nerdy" things. Or, at least, that's been my experience. On the other hand, they whined about the influx of anime fangirls, and look how that turned out.

Anyway, sorry. Just wanted to say it's a swell blog!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well thank you Laura! And welcome.

Talking shop is a lot of fun, and I don't get the chance to do it too often in the REAL world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home