Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Newspaperless?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Newspaperless?

So we were all talking together at work, as co-workers are wont to do...and I mentioned that a certain topic that we were discussing had been covered in the newspaper as well as the television news. One of my cohorts then claimed that he didn't get the newspaper, and didn't understand why anybody would bother with it.

I almost passed out. No...no newspaper? Sheesh, I read it cover to cover every day! How else are you going to find out the IN-DEPTH coverage of local and national news? They give you a brief run-down on the television in the evening, but you certainly only get a taste, not the meat of the subject. And where else are you going to find out what time the movies are showing, who is selling their car, or giving away free kittens and geraniums?

And then there are the comics of course. I don't have quite the connection with the comics page in the newspaper that I do with my comic books, but gosh darn it, I ALSO read them every day.

So...I asked Jeff how he manages to get through the day not knowing what is happening in Mary Worth? He didn't care about Mary Worth. He didn't even know who Mary Worth WAS! I...I am shocked. Shocked and disturbed. After all, that cop boyfriend of Mary's boyfriend's daughters, just got shot...exactly as we all knew he would, since they have spent the last couple of weeks showing them all lovey dovey together. Foreshadowing! Extremelly unsubtle foreshadowing, but then again, that's Mary Worth. Will she use her incredible meddling powers for good?

I understand that there are plenty of news venues out there, but really, if you can't read your daily comic strips, then what good are they?

Read Newspapers!

7 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I do think the turn away from newspapers is sad, but a lot of people don't like the idea of having to sit down and READ something in the morning, without the ability to multitask endlessly.

Heck, while writing this post I'm also "listening" to algorithm design, although not really because it's boring, checking my e-mail and being rejected by job companies.

I mean newspapers support alt-tabbing, but the pre-defined content can get annoying

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I was reading comics in the newspaper before comic books and I started reading comic books when I was 7!

Mary Worth is a shadow of her former, glorious self, tho. Action/adventure strips used to be topnotch. Mary Perkins On Stage was one of my favs, as was Steve Roper.

These days, I still read comics in the newspapers, but now I also read some online because they were dropped by my local papers or aren't carried by them. The main ones are Agnes and Pooch Cafe. I get a GoComics widget on my iGoogle page for them.

I'd die without my newspaper and the printed comics.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

I am currently residing in Finland, in what could be best described as the last city in the end of the world.Here it is imposible to find any newspaper in english (nor spanish or french) so I have to live without my daily dose of quiet time going through actual letters in actual paper and I´ll be damned if I don´t miss it so much every day. It´s just not the same.

So yeah, I support this post and encourage tto everybody out there to read a newspaper if they can

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tryed "Little Dee"? It's like a newspaper comic strip but ON THE INTERNET! I like that the characters seem to have alot of fun.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

Wow, I haven't read a newspaper in almost a decade (except for the local alternative paper that is mostly entertainment news but does a lot better indepth reporting than our daily rag)

How do I keep up on news? Radio, internet, more radio.

I get my daily comics from "Josh Reads"

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

"Alt-tabbing?"

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

When I graduated from journalism school, getting a job with a newspaper was almost impossible because almost all of them were experiencing cutbacks -- and that was 20 years ago! They've been dying a very slow, painful death for decades, sad to say. :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home