Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Let's All Pick on Ollie

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Let's All Pick on Ollie

I'm in something of a contrary mood. Normally, I like to abuse Hal. But I've been reading those old Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories lately, and just for a change of pace, I feel like abusing Ollie instead. Because compared to Mister Oliver Queen, Hal Jordan comes off as a model of decorum and restraint. Which is probably NOT the reaction that Denny O'Neil was shooting for...but as I've said...I'm feeling contrary.

Ollie has good intentions obviously, but the sheer magnitude of his self-righteousness is staggering. Stopping pollution, helping the poor, fighting racism are all highly commedable pursuits,it's just as usual, Ollie goes overboard.

Of course, Oliver has a habit of going overboard. Remember that deserted island that wasn't so deserted? Hah! I kill myself sometimes.

Green Arrow

Ollie's reaction to poor Roy's little substance abuse problem was really the pinnacle of his douchebaggery. I have to admit to giving a cheer when Roy, having kicked the habit cold-turkey, with a little bit of help from Dinah and Hal, goes and gives his Mentor, a huge punch right in the face.

Does anyone else have any really good moments of Ollie wankery?

6 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Cream Cheese Alchemist said...

I've always liked the dynamic Ollie has with Anarky (#89 in '94, #51 in '05) because it's almost a reverse of Hard-Traveling Heroes.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I've got a great Ollie vs. Hal-as-the-Spectre story that I keep meaning to dig up. I should probably do that! :-)

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ooohh! Sea, you should do that. Is that the Kevin Smith one? Because it's hilarious.

What does Ollie do with Anarky?

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Cream Cheese Alchemist said...

During the Crossroads arc (#89, aug94) Anarky tries to talk Ollie into helping him blow up a gun factory. Ollie walks, but comes back at the end of the issue to detonate the bomb. I think it was retconned because there is no indication in their other team-up (#51, aug05) that they had met before.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

He...he helps blow up a building?
Oh Ollie, you schmuck! I'll bet that there were poor homeless kittens that got blowed up...and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was the time he kidnapped Dinah's daughter and told her she was dead for three days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home