Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reviews

Boy Howdy, that was one HELL of a comicbook week! Especially...well, never mind, I'll get to it.

Batman & Robin #6

Gotta love those Frank Quitely covers. Inside, Jason is up to his old tricks...or maybe just some new tricks. He's got Dick and Damian stripped down to their underwear, tied up in front of a webcam, and sends out the message, that one million calls will activate the picture, and that you too, can see Batman and Robin unmasked and nekkid!

Needless to say, the calls start pouring in.

Heh.

While all of this is going on, the Flamingo, who is a rather flamboyant and utterly merciless hitman for the mob, is busy beating the crap out of the Red Hood and poor Scarlet. And a mere rope and knot isn't going to keep Batman and his loyal sidekick out of action for long, and naturally, they bust loose in fairly short order. Then THEY go and fight the Flamingo. He promptly throws Dick off the roof and nonchalantly shoots Damian in the back several times, before Jason appears to crush him with a back hoe. Then the cops show up and take Jason into custody, while Damian can't feel his legs. This can't be good. Scarlet takes off into the night, and removes the skin mask, so hopefully, she ends up with a happy ending. Not so much for everyone else though. Damn good stuff.

Booster Gold #26

Booster has disappeared, and everyone is getting a little worried about his whereabouts. Rip has another chalkboard with cryptic messages. I LOVE Rip's chalkboard. Skeets and Jaime team up. Booster in the meantime, has actually gone back in time to revisit Ted's funeral, where he witnesses his own breakdown. It's quite sad really.

Rose is trying to get Daniel to take her out to a cat show, and he just wants to stay home and play video games. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) something large lands on their house, destroying it. Turns out to be the Bug. And who is that emerging from the inside?

Oh crappity crap crap, Ted's a Black Lantern. But by God, he's a cheerful Black Lantern. Too bad he's trying to rip Daniel's heart out.

Fables #90

Ozma is staging something of a coup, trying to take over, now that Totenkinder has disappeared. The good Frau has gone to another world to try and destroy the Dark Guy. She did send a single gold coin in a pouch to King Cole, along with some pretty interesting instructions. Now we'll just have to see if Cole's greed can be reined in. And Gepetto is up to no good, as could probably have been expected.


The Flash #4

I'm not sure if this came out this week, or if I just forgot to get it, but it's darned good! Zoom is the negative Speed Force, while Barry is the postive Speed Force. And Wally does some nice amazing things, and so does Max, who isn't dead after all, and...and it's ALL good! I just love Johns and Van Sciver working together.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #26

I had pretty much given up on this, but it looked like an interesting cover, with Ollie fighting himself, so I actually bought it, and I'll be dipped, if it wasn't pretty good too. Ollie's having a weird dream, facing himself back on that desert island, and decides to go home, and runs into himself...literally. Guess who else is back? I am not exactly sure how Everyman could have survived being dissected from Batman and Doctor Midnite's EXTREMELY exhaustive autopsy, but he's apparently awfully hard to kill.

Green Lantern Corps #42

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More tomorrow. In detail. Grisly detail.
I'm STILL having palpitations.

JSA vs Kobra #6

Well. Not bad. The ending leaves things hanging a bit, but it's still nice to see them all working together so nicely. Now that they've split up the team, this may be the last time we see them all together. And look, there's Sandy! No dialogue, but what the hey.

R.E.B.E.L.s.#10

I don't normally get this, but it did have a Blackest Night label, and I wanted the ring, so what the hell. Actually, it wasn't bad. Not bad at all! I barely know who these people are, but still, that was quite a twist at the end! Yellow suits Vril.

Titans #19

Again, I don't read Titans, but I can't resist the sight of Lian's little Mary Jane's on the cover. And again, this was pretty good. A nice quiet look at Roy's life as a single father, and I have always liked Roy. I was a bit perplexed at his battle with Lady Vic however. In the first panels she is wearing long pants. Tight pants, but pants nevertheless. Then suddenly she switches to the standard thong for a few panels, and by the end of the fight, she's back in long pants. I can only assume that the Flash showed up, and was feeling mischevious...or something.

Well! Hell of a week! Now I've got to go and read Green Lantern Corps again! I honestly did not see that coming!

12 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Did you get an Indigo ring this week? I thought the Indigo rings weren't in stores till January?

Heh. Maybe I should be reading Batman & Robin.

I'm still OMGing over GLC.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

I´m worried about Damian. He´s awesome, and he seems to be learning a little bit (caring about scarlet) and now this... Hopefully he´ll be back on his feet soon.

Sure we haven´t heard the last from flamingo, though I´m a little bit bored of the concept of "best assasin". How many "best assasins" are there wandering throught DC universe?

Booster Gold was very nice, but I would like to see what happens next...

GLC... well, this is just... Argh! They said this will not happen! They lied!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I not only got an Indigo ring, I also got an Orange ring! They'll go so nicely with my black one and my yellow one.

Batman & Robin has been pretty good, although the artwork has suffered a bit since Frank Quitely left. It's hard sometimes to figure out exactly what is going on. I didn't even realize that Robin had been shot, until they mentioned it later.

Fernando, I feel your pain about Kyle. I did NOT see that coming.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

So is a cat show the same thing as a dog show, with all the cats being put through their paces, and winning prizes and such?

Because somehow I can't see that happening. Cats walking on leashes and performing tricks and such on command, no way. I just see them lounging around, looking petulant, coughing up hairballs, and shredding the judges pants legs.

Which actually sounds entertaining. Daniel should totally keep his promise. Assuming he's still alive when this is over.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Batman and Robin is pretty awesome. I'm thinking we might see a guest turn from Damian's mother. It would be nice to see her.

And yeah, the battle between Roy and Lady Vic was rather weird in so many ways, but since it was all just an excuse for Roy to get home late, I forgave them for it. It was nice seeing Lian acting like a real kid.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

@CalvinPitt: My friend just went on a trip to Moscow and St Petersburg and brought back photographic evidence of cats doing tricks in the circus.
So it is possible, I just don't know how.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

I thought that a "cat show" was refering to Cats, the musical. But once again, my english and knowdelage is limited to sitcoms or police shows that I´ve been watching :P

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Why the surprise? I remember you mentioning Kyle as one of the three likeliest candidates whose death would send Guy over the deep end... Not to mention he's only MOSTLY dead, 'cause he shows up in near-future solicitations. An' that's a good thing, since that pretty much confirms that Blackest Night will end in massive resurrections.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the funeral scene in Booster Gold. Especially Guy's woobie-face. Poor fellah, it's not a good month for him...

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

I WANT AN ORANGE RING! I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

MINE!

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Wrye said...

R.E.B.E.L.S is a lot of fun, akin to Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: the writer scoops up a bunch of characters no one is doing anything with, and says hey, let's have some fun. Even his choice for the Black Lantern Guest Star. (Rhymes with Lar, Ginger) was excellent and a delight.

And Batman and Robin! I just love the idea that Jason Todd sets up Dick Grayson in a deathtrap where the fans have to phone in on whether he lives or dies (so to speak). That's just brilliant. Somehow it's always Grant Morrison who thinks of these things which seem so obvious in retrospect it's amazing no else has done them...

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

There was something very adorable about Jaime teaming up with Skeets. I loved finally seeing Teds' funeral and how it affected Booster.

And even though I had to pay an extra 25 cents I had to get my orange ring. Heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home