Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Guy and Bea

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, December 07, 2009

Guy and Bea

Yeah, yeah, I love Guy and Tora together, and I'm pleased as punch that she's alive(sort've) again, and so on and so forth. And yet...I do have a sneaking fondness for Guy and Bea, and their short-lived, and apparently ill-fated liason.

I've always maintained that Bea had a kind of love/hate thing going on with Guy. Guy was relatively clueless of course, but he DID admire her gorgeous behind. Too bad she set him on fire the first time he pointed that out.

Oh well.

The thing is...they actually did, and still do, have a lot in common. Other than their mutual love for Tora, they are both dominant personalities, loud, self-assured, and even a touch arrogant. Both are surprisingly good friends TO their friends. And they just fell into one another's arms at that notorious Christmas party at Warriors. John Constantine spiking the punch may have had something to do with that, but I think that it was just time.

The aftermath of course, was quite amusing.

Photobucket

Not a whole lot happened after that for a while. They kept meeting up, and making goo goo eyes at each other, but both of them danced around the subject for quite a while,until Bea finally got fed up.

Guy pictures

Guy, believe it or not, was acting a bit...I suppose shy is the word. Which seems like a very odd way for Guy to behave, but for all of his leering and comments, I've noticed that he's actually a bit innocent when it comes to women. Certainly more so than Hal. And when he DOES form an attachment, it's pretty strong and solid. None of this giving them the brushoff after a few dates.

And that may actually have been part of the problem with his relationship with Beatriz. I've given up ever getting a story out of DC concerning their dating after Tora was gone...it seems to have been swept pretty much under the rug. Still...it WAS interesting, and I'd love for it to come up now and again. I'm pretty sure that Bea was the one who broke it off, and that may have been why he was so snarky during the whole Omac mini-series. I couldn't understand at first why he was being such a jerk, until it dawned on me that they obviously weren't together anymore.

What did strike me just recently however, is that their breakup SEEMS to have coincided with Guy's return to being a Green Lantern. They seemed to be fairly happy when he was Warrior, but once he was in the Corps again, and wearing the old green and black, she seems to have cooled off. I wonder if it was because as Warrior, he was separate from the old Guy...the Guy that had loved Tora, and been in the JLI all that time. He had his brains back, due to drinking the Warrior Waters, and wasn't that same juvenile lunatic that she had been used to.

Then suddenly he's back in the old suit. Fortunately, not with the same old haircut, but still...it had to be a bit different. He looked like Tora's boyfriend again, even though Tora wasn't there anymore. I don't know if Bea even realized it herself, but I'm wondering if that was one or her motivations. Guy of course, wouldn't necessarily understand how Bea was feeling, so I can see him being bitter and angry about being dumped. But Bea may have unconciously thought she was being unfaithful to Tora, with Guy as a Green Lantern.

I'm a bit muddled in my thinking, but I guess that's just my supposition. Does anyone have a good theory?

4 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said...

I've got one: Guy "died" during Our Worlds At War, and may have returned to a Bea unwilling to commit to a love in this line of work. Has she dated any other super-heroes since?

I was amused by the Guy/Tora relationship, but mutual pain and their similar temperaments made Guy/Bea a better, deeper match. I never felt like Guy and Tora could be forever. It was more like puppy love between two emotionally awkward late bloomers.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Hmmmm...I had forgotten about that whole death thing. Of course he wasn't REALLY dead, but Bea didn't know that.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

I kind of think it was always a fairly casual thing between them. Sort of "friends with benefits." I think there was too much history between them (read: Tora) to ever make a real romantic go at it, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have a little no pressure, no strings attached fun.

Considering how hectic that period in Warrior was, (and how it came straight after mind-controlling Martika), I think a bit of no strings attached fun would be therapeutic.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Makes sense to me. At least I can see Bea feeling that way. Guy, I'm not so sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home