Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What a Wonderful Week!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

What a Wonderful Week!

The first two Wednesdays of the month may have been on the thin side, but THIS Wednesday was...bountiful!

There were a whole lot of the Blackest Night One-shots, which weren't bad at all,all things considered. I liked Blackest Night: the Flash, because I'm a sucker for the Rogues. And seeing Barry being hopeful was nice. Man, I DO hope they don't kill off Captain Cold or Weather Wizard, because they're my favorites. The kid who took over for James Jesse on the other hand, is more than welcome to become toast.

Blackest Night: The Phantom Stranger was decent. It did bring up some interesting things with the Spectre, that I'm sure will become QUITE important sooner or later. I was a bit surprised to see Blue Devil, I thought he'd snuffed it.

Blackest Night: Starman was the Bee's Knees! Shade is doing IT with Hope O'Dare! I'm simply giggling in delight. I'm glad that the BN Starman was David and not Ted. I don't think I could handle Ted. Although isn't he in the JSA Blackest Night thingie? I'm starting to lose track. And although it would have been nice to see Jack, I am completely happy with the Shade instead.

Fables was nice. A little bit of a breather and a less angsty story for a change.

Green Lantern Corps made me weep with joy. As usual.

The Incredible Hercules. Wow. Too bad about Hera. Well...not really, because she was pretty rotten, but still! Glad to see that Delphyne had a change of heart. Just consistantly good.

Batman: Streets of Gotham was spooky and all. I really did like the Manhunter backup feature. Kate's playing with the Big Dogs now! But that Judge was something else!

The Brave & the Bold teams up the Atom with the Joker. THe Joker has a brain problem, and some nice doctors decide that Ray is the best person to deliver the medicine. Unlike the way that he's portrayed in Blackest Night, Ray is NOT overflowing with compassion here. It was an interesting take on the Joker, but the inconsistancy in Ray's portrayal is beginning to annoy me.

The Outsiders was a bit on the bizarre side. Brion has always been a bit of a bore, but now he's displaying symptoms of megalomania. Dan Didio wrote this, and seemed to be channeling Doctor Doom a bit in his portrayal of Geoforce. And Katanna is a bit unhinged as well. Kind of weird.

Power Girl was sensational. I laughed like a loon throughout the entire book. I thought that Gail Simone had snuck in and taken over the writing there for a minute, but it's still Gray and Palmiotti. They've REALLY found their comfort zone in their version of Peej lately, and of course the art is simply wonderful.

Power Girl is reluctantly teamed up with Vartox, in order to defeat the IX Negaspike horde that Vartox unwittingly unleashed on Earth in the last issue. Kara actually uses her brains, and they figure out a way to defeat the monsters...and then it's Miller Time! He actually convinces her to come aboard his floating head-ship, and plans to...celebrate.

Photobucket

This...this is wicked. That is a painfully common sexy shot of your average woman in comics...but this time it is of a rather hairy guy with a mustache. I laughed till I was almost sick.

Vartox is growing on me. He's growing on Peej too, as he is a lot easier to like when he's not being a jerk. He does manage to burn dinner, so they go out for pizza, and he decides that pepperoni is the greatest thing that he's ever tasted. He does manage to convince her to help him out with the little problem of his planet's sterility...and it's off to the Fertility Room!

No, no, nothing like that. They don't do that yucky physical stuff anymore, much to Kara's relief, but it does involve a Pregno Ray.

Oh, and there was a subplot with Satanna, and her head mad scientist who happens to be a talking Badger.

I can't help but think that Messers. Gray and Palmiotti, not to mention Amanda Conner had the time of their lives coming up with the concepts in this storyline. It is WONDERFUL!!

Heh. Pregno Ray.

7 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

BN Flash was delicious! I have never been fond of the flahs, but this blue lantern flash has me intrigued.

Although I am kinda annoyed by the fact that they turned the blue rings in a green ring of a short whereas prior to this they were one of the little rings that where truly different, but it is still fun.

I love how this one-shots comics are showing the heroes embracing their rings.

Green Lantern Corps keeps being more awesome than words. Guy rocks. And so does Mogo.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Not many comics for me this week, and I haven't read the BN issues yet, but Power Girl was awesome. Quickly one of my favorite titles.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

While I don't read Power Girl, I LOVED Amanda Connor on Wednesday Comics. She is just too awesome! And, wow, did that panel make me laugh. Let me guess...they probably go full-out naked to funerals, don't they?

I was just starting to really dig Manhunter when I heard the backup had been cancelled. Hopefully she'll show up in Birds of Prey.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

So, what do you think of this theory floating around that Lian Harper is dead?

http://titanstowermonitor.blogspot.com/
2010/01/fate-of-lian-harper.htm

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I've been very worried about Lian. I think Lian being dead would be worse than Roy losing his arm. Aside from, pardon the expression, overkill when it comes to dumping on a character, it's just cruel. I'm not sure what I'll decide to do about continuing to read or not if Lian is dead.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

I absolutely LOVEed the little "male" symbols holding up Vartox's thong.

Sadly, I can't envision me reading this book without getting embarrassed.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Dwayne. C'mon read it...you won't be sorry. After a bit of a slow start, it has really taken off lately, and the plots and dialogue are ridiculously over the top, while Amanda Conner's artwork has all these lovely little hidden things going on in the background. Besides, aren't these the boys that write Jonah Hex?

I am extremely concerned about Lian. I know that in comics they are fond of killing off just about everyone, but you would think that they might balk at offing a little kid. At least I hope so.

I was originally of two minds about the Blackest Night One-shots. They aren't absolutely necessary to the main story, but what the heck. They've been fun, and it's always nice to see the Rogues or the Shade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home