Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Getting back to the Heart of the Matter

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, February 05, 2010

Getting back to the Heart of the Matter

Woohoo! It's Friday! So I was opening the mail and work, and doing the bank deposit, and came across a cheque from Walter and Linda West. I kid you not. I know that Wally's name is actually Wallace, but still! I thought that it was cool, because I'm a massive Nerd. Needless to say everyone else thought that I was nuts.

Comics are a harsh mistress.

But getting back to Green Lanterns who are NOT being pummelled, or falling down, or in general making fools of themselves.

John Stewart

This is a VERY nice picture of John, being all competent and saving the world and stuff. Actually, John is ALWAYS competent. He very rarely makes a fool of himself...unlike certain other GL's who shall be nameless. In fact, I wouldn't mind coming across a picture of John being INcompetent...just for a change. Well, not incompetent per se, just a little bit less than his normal self. Just like it is always a tiny relief to see a picture of Hal NOT being hit in the head.

10 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

You need to read cosmic odyssey! John acts like a A-1 jerk to Martian Manhunter and then his overconfidence causes Xanshi to explode! That's some pretty big incompetence right there!

Of course he never erased all time killing countless individuals, or knocked himself out flying through a billboard... so he's still got nothing on Hal. (Story of his life)

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

You're right. Xanshi was definitely a screw-up of monumental proportions. And just a tad out of character. IN fact, so out of character that I have a tendancy to completely forget all about Xanshi on a regular basis.

Oops.

Still...he's never been hit by a yellow ceiling tile either.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Seeing a check from Linda West would've made my day, too!!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

Well, you already posted about it, but the exchange with Guy Gardner, in the Moisac series, about Streisand, is quite foolish.

Also, he kinda left Ch´p get killed...

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Who let Ch'p get killed? :(

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I don't see anything foolish about the Streisand exchange, myself. Well, maybe on Guy's part (I still think it's hilarious that he knew the words to the song), but John just wanted coffee and his Streisand album -- what's so foolish about that?

Xanshi = Yeah, I always found that to be sort of out-of-character for John. In fact, it seems more like something Hal or Guy would have done...

And aww, not fair to blame him for Ch'p's death.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

Well, ok about the Streisand, but it it is a funny exchange. I just didn´t know how to describe it, maybe more in the line of "goofy"? I hate my english.

And Ch´p... well, Stewart was in charge of Mosaic, and he was cheking on the road... Although probably I´m just bitter because I really loved Ch´p.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I liked Ch'p too, but I don't really see how getting flattened in the road was necessarily John's fault. Ch'p DID live on Earth for a while...one would think that he would know about large yellow vehicles.

I rather miss the characterization with John as a piano-playing, Streisand and ABBA-loving coffeeholic. It gave him some dimension.

Of COURSE Guy would know all the words to the song. He can probably sing every song from Phantom of the Opera too...but he'll never admit it.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

Since this is the Aluminum Age of Comics, when everything is recycled, I really, really want someone to revisit Cosmic Odyssey -- the Xanshi scene, at the very least -- so that it makes sense in respect to John's personality in every other appearance he's ever had ever.

I'm sure a good writer could recast that scenario so it read as John was Being Responsible and just a tad overconfident and not Being An Arrogant Douchebag.

Honestly, I could see Guy or Hal pulling the Xanshi-As-Written, but not JOHN.

(Verification Word: "hysiestr", which describes the kind of fit I have when thinking about Starlin's treatment of the Fourth World whenever he gets his hands on it.)

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I swear somewhere I heard a rumor that it WAS supposed to be Guy who blew up Xanshi, but that they changed it to John for some reason.

Frankly, I'm glad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home