Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Gosh, What a Tiny Week

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gosh, What a Tiny Week

In SPITE of the Storm Of The Century (we got two whole inches of snow!) I managed to make the trek to the Comic Book Store. Not a whole lot came out this week, but by golly, what there was...was choice.

Blackest Night: Adventure Comics. This has Cassie and Conner teaming up. Or fighting. Or both. I do have to say that I really don't have a whole lot of interest in either Cassie OR Conner. I know OF them of course, but they are not huge on my comical radar. But this...this was actually a nice little story. And the art was decent as well.

Conner as you all know, is currently a Black Lantern, although not a Zombie Black Lantern, since he's one of the lucky souls who came back from the dead. Or as he rather aptly puts it..."I thought I'd cheated Death, but it turns out Death cheated me...along with every other hero who ever came back from the grave." Nicely said.

So, he's actually alive and trying to resist in there, but the Black Ring is controlling just about everything. He does manage to resist long enough to whistle for Krypto, who shows up and is AWESOME. As usual. And he manages to tell Cassie to get him to the Fortress...where it so happens his body is recuperating, since he is presently back from the Future. Or something. It makes sense in the book anyway. And the ring is confused, because in essence there are TWO Conner Kents, and he's able to break its hold, and Cassie throws it into outer space, and oh, he's got super cold breath now.

So that's TWO Black Lanterns that have managed to break free. This was surprisingly very good.

Batman & Robin #8. Dick thinks that dunking Batman's body in a Lazarus pit is a good idea. Batwoman, Squire and Knight aren't so sure. Especially when it turns out that it's NOT Bruce's body. You REALLY ought to check in with Alfred first when you have one of your brilliant ideas, Dick. This time it's Kate's turn to have her spine squished. Damian is back, although he has to sit in a wheelchair for a while while his back heals. That's going to be a little hard with faux crazy Bats running around. Excellent as usual. I do love Cameron Stewart's artwork.

Booster Gold #29. Well, Booster is sent back to Coast City just before it goes kaflooey, trying to stop that other time-travelling lady. And hopefully, Michelle will also get the heck out of Dodge...er, Coast City in time as well. Time travel makes my head hurt, but it's Booster so I love it. And Jaime shows up as well, in what is apparently his last story. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. I think that it was all resolved just a little too easily, but they do seem to leave things open a bit. I just don't want Jaime to fade into the background.

Secret Six #18 was awesome! Amanda Waller never ceases to amaze me. There is a lot of fighting, teaming up and then fighting and so on and so forth. Amanda uses a scavenged Manhunter and some of Doctor Light's flash grenades to overpower the Black Lanterns...and it WORKS! The Six decide that they really don't WANT to work for the Suicide Squad,and Deadshot makes his feelings known, by shooting Waller in the chest. Carefully. He then tells the rest of them, as they are standing around slackjawed in consternation (and just a little bit of awe) that the NEXT time he sees them, he's shooting in the head.

Waller is surprisingly cheerful about it all. I love her pragmatism. The only one she really wants is Deadshot after all, and she's rather encouraged by the fact that he only put a bullet NEXT to her heart. Floyd's just a stand-up sort of guy. Oh, and it turns out that Amanda is actually Mockingbird. Oy!


JSA All-Stars #3

Let me just say this, the art in this book is dreadful. Just gawdawful. Peej is missing her boob window completely, and Courtney is portrayed as being a 42DDD whilst lamenting the fact that the boys in school never notice her. Yeah, right. On the other hand, Power Girl DOES fulfill my fondest wish, by punching out Magog. Boy is he ever annoying! Worse than Guy EVER was. And Sandy shows up! And has dialogue! So there is good and bad. If you can get past the art, it's not too terrible.

The backup story still has Jesse and Hourman chasing Tigress and Icicle. I'm not sure if I completely remember exactly what it is that they're looking for, but gosh darn it, they are having such a good time looking for it that I don't care.

So...a pretty good week after all.

8 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

At least we still have Jaime in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I love him in that series. He's translated to TV surprisingly well.

So has Guy! ;-)

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I DO love that show. Every week, I watch it and just giggle insanely to myself.

I love Ted, but I do think that Jaime is the best new character that they've come up with in years.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

Loved Adventure Comics... I was into Conner long before I was into Green Lantern or even DC for all that matter, and this was a very nice history... I am unsure about this Krypto-Conner relationship, because at first sounded ok, but now... Well, still quite nice history.

Batgirl was fun, aswell, but Robin, who was pretty fun at the begining, was a little bit repetitive at the end... Well,

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Kon using his OWN DEAD BODY to get rid the ring blew my mind!

And I agree, that is some truly horrendous art in JSA A-S. But I'm all for a costume redesign for Power Girl--just a better redesign than that.

Oh, and I think I'm the only one who caught your Pat and Mike reference :-)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

Also, R.E.B.E.L.S. is awesome. The cliffhanger is glorious!!! almost painful!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thank you Mac. A Tracy/Hepburn fan are you?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger dmarks said...

Great opportunity for C-list burning superheroes like Firestorm and Spiderman's Amazing Friend with the yellow painted-on costume to get involved and help the public interest and melt that snow. But no.... they are no where to be seen.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Nah, jes' a showoff trivia buff :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home