Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Olympic Spectacle

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Spectacle

Well, boy howdy, the Winter Olympics open this evening in lovely Vancouver, British Columbia. Or...as I had to explain to one of my co-workers...that's in Canada. Oh Canada.

And since I have fond memories of the Calgary games, I am looking forward to the opening spectacle with great anticipation. Which doesn't mean that I won't take a break for thirty minutes or so, to watch the Brave & the Bold. There are just SOME things that I can't do without, and cartoon Batman is one of them.

But still! I'm hoping for Mounties and lots of 'em. I love Mounties. They have those nice hats, and those wonderful red coats, and they are all six foot five inches tall, and ride horses and sing through their noses. And if you have never listened to Arrogant Worms, then by cracky, you're missing my favorite Canadian musicians. The Mountie Song, is naturally one of my favorites, along with the War of 1812, where they brag about burning down Washington. Great stuff.

Which brings me to this question. Do the Marvel or DC universes even HAVE the Olympics? With all the mutants and superpowers and such, it would seem awfully easy to gain a rather unfair advantage. But by gosh, they'd all look fabulous up on the podium.

Photobucket

13 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

"Which doesn't mean that I won't take a break for thirty minutes or so, to watch the Brave & the Bold"

Ha ha...me too!! Or at least DVR it.

I don't know about Olympics, but every now and then in old DC comics you'll see heroes play villains in baseball games.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Hold on about the Brave and the Bold, Liss! I was over on Newsarama, and they said that there is going to be a brief hiatus for new episodes. THey'll show reruns until March for some reason.

Oh just great.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

have you seen the DC source news? a new GL comic about Guy! :D :D

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I saw it AFTER I had already written this blog entry. Needless to say, I made totally ridiculous squealy noises.

More on this tomorrow!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger dmarks said...

The Mutalympics over in the Marvel universe were cancelled in 1982 when Dark Phoenix accidentally destroyed the host plant.

Meanwhile, on the DC side, the superhero olympics haven't been the same since Luthorcorp took over and introduced kryptonite medals.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Yeah, I'm with LissBirds -- I only remember baseball games. Didn't Hal once get banned from one because the umpire determined that using his ring was cheating? I seem to remember something like that.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I just figured that out a little while ago, Sally, when I tuned in and saw it was a repeat! Oh, well.

And I was just going to tell you that Guy's getting his own book but Saranga beat me to it. :) Three GL books...I'm excited but my wallet's crying!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Northstar was an Olympic skier before he was outed as a mutant. I believe Bette Kane was an Olympian as well, in tennis, at some point in continuity.

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

alabn moore did a story about the night olympics for GA. that's probably about as olympicy as dc will get.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

There was a Young Justice story about their archer Arrowette entering the Sydney Olympics. A whole superpowered vaillain nation (Zandia) entered as well.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger TheUUShadow said...

Batman #272 started a storyline called "The Underworld Olympics '76"

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Wrye said...

I was very gratified once I saw the ceremonies and there were some Mounties, just for you. We aim to please.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new Mr. Terrific is an Olympic gold-medalist in the decathlon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home