Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: And What A Lovely Wednesday it Was!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

And What A Lovely Wednesday it Was!

Gosh, but it was a good week! Not a ton of books, but some really really GOOD books!

First off, we have Booster Gold. He's got to let Mongul and Cyborg Superman blow up Coast City...but he's not particularly happy about it. He does manage to rescue whatshername, the other time traveler AND a little girl. Wow. DC let a little girl LIVE!

Yeah, I'm bitter.

There is a mysterious figure who keeps showing up at opportune moments and giving Booster a "nudge". It's quite interesting to eventually find out who HE is! Hah! Anyway, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The Brave & the Bold is by J. Michael Straczynski, with art by Jesus Saiz, and by cracky, I liked it. It has a team-up with Aquaman and the Demon, and yes...it DOES make perfect sense. It's Aquaman in all of his short-haired green and orange glory, and the Demon is far more poetic than usual. I liked it a lot.

Fables finally showed up. Is it me, or was this late? It's the conclusion to what to do with the little goblin who had that...um...eating problem. Flycatcher manages to finagle things to everyone's dissatisfaction, which is the best that he can hope for. It was nice to take a little break from the shenanigans going on in Fabletown and the Farm and just have a nice story from Haven for a change.

The Fall of Green Arrow. Oh Good Grief. Ollie continues on his quest for revenge. The other heroes are trying to stop him, but I get the distinct impression that they really aren't trying all that hard. Ollie runs and hides in the sewers, but do you really think that Hal and Barry couldn't locate him if they really really wanted to? Black Canary yells at him, and puts up a token fight, but oddly enough doesn't use her canary cry. Connor shows up and yells at him too, and is quite unBoodhist in his attitude. Oh, and we find out that Ollie has a partner in his quest to take out the Electrocutioner. Egad!

There's a bit of a horrified fascination to all of this, rather like slowing down to gawk at a wreck on the highway. You tell yourself you're not going to do it, but still you just can't help yourself.

Green Lantern Corps #46........FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

Hercules: Fall Of An Avenger. Yes, apparently they really killed off Hercules. I'm not sure that it will stick, but some interesting people show up with Amadeus in order to honor his memory, and yes, I laughed. A lot.

Heh.

Superman: 80-page Giant. An anthology of short stories, and dammit, I liked it. Some interesting looks from different people's points of view, a little bit of whimsey, and some decent art and ideas. Worthy of purchase.

I'm also slowly getting the trades of Geoff Johns tenure on the Justice Society, and I'm enjoying the crap out of them.

7 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger poops said...

Holy Smokes!!!...You used the F-Word!!!

(which, of course, is most verily deserv-ed in this case!)

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yes, I'm rather astonished at myself. It must be the influence of my teenaged children...yes, that's it.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Volcano Todd said...

I was equally shocked. This MUST be good. Sadly, I will not be able to pick up a copy until Sunday.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

When all else fails, blame teenagers. I do!

And I don't think Hal and Barry are trying very hard to find Ollie, either. It could just be because Hal is kind of an idiot, of course, but Barry normally isn't. I say "normally" because he isn't exactly showing much brain power in this particular storyline, either.

Also, I have this strange urge to slap Dinah... but I've had that urge for a while now. I actually was one of the people who was happy to see her and Ollie get married, but if the result is her acting like a useless dishrag every time he does something or something happens to him (for reference see the entire Green Arrow/Black Canary series), I think maybe she should have turned him down and... I dunno, married Babs or something, instead.

Speaking of which, I guess Ollie's troubles leave her open to rejoining the new Birds of Prey. Hmm...

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yeah, there's definitely the car wreck fascination about Green Arrow these days. It will be interesting to see how Gail handles Dinah in the BoP return.

I haven't gotten to the other new books yet. Been too caught up in the Ollie/Roy drama.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Wow. I haven't seen GLC yet -- but based on your reaction, Sally, it must be, uh, pretty good, huh? ;-)

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger mathematicscore said...

You know, there are a lot of haters, but Grant Morrison in Final Crisis has been the only time in recent memory that the GA/Black Canary relationship has been enjoyable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home