Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Just some Random Thinking

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just some Random Thinking

Do you suppose that somewhere there is a REAL Colonel Sanders in the Army or the Navy or the Marines? Do you suppose people keep going up to him or her and asking about chicken? These are the sorts of things that I wonder about as I'm driving home from work.

So...how about those comics from yesturday! I only picked four, which is pretty pathetic for me, and I must say that I enjoyed three of them. Secret Six was fabulous as usual, the back-and-forth banter between Deadshot and Catman was a hoot. Apparently Jeanette DOESN'T scream when they are "doing it" which disappoints Thomas, so Lawton calls HIS girlfriends Psycho Killer and Batman's Pet She-Loon. And I knew exactly who he was talking about. And then there was Ragdoll's attraction for Black Alice which has everyone slightly squicked. Another successful issue!

Batman & Robin was pretty darned fabulous as well. Damien looks just so cute in a suit, as he lectures his father's employees. He's apparently a little bit worried about what is going to happen to him, if Bruce actually makes it back. The clues they were all following were fun and I guess that Talia is up to no good.

Superman's Last Stand of New Krypton was entertaining. Zod is still a jerk, and Kal El finally...FINALLY decided that this was a job for...Superman. I've been waiting for that moment for quite some time.

And then there was the Justice League: Rise & Fall Special, by J.T. Krul, who was stuck trying to clean up the mess left by the ending of Cry for Justice.

Not content with shooting an arrow into Prometheus's head, Ollie is running around the ruins of Star City looking for a little more payback. The rest of his buddies know that something is odd, but can't quite put their finger on it. Dick and Wally compare notes and wonder if what happened to Roy could happen to them. Barry and Hal go off to Opal City to look up the Shade, who is more than happy to show them the way to Prometheus's lair. There IS one heck of a butt shot of Hal along the way, I must admit. Actually several, which shows that the artists at least understand what to do with a Green Lantern. Barry and Hal are a tad nonplussed when they discover the corpse. Way to jump to conclusions there, Barry! Granted, Ollie DID kill him in cold blood, but they don't necessarily know that yet. And you call yourself a forensic scientist!

Ollie and Dinah are fighting some guy named the Electrocutioner, and Ollie is about to do for him, what he did for Prometheus, when Dinah stops him, saying that they'll never find the information they need, if Ollie kills him. It begins to dawn on Dinah that Ollie doesn't NEED that information. Just then Hal and Barry show up with a nice glowing green coffin, and the proverbial shit hits the proverbial fan. Ollie points out that Barry killed someone, and Barry of course replies that it "was different!" Hal's just confused and trying to understand Ollie's motivations. Then Ollie reaches into the casket and grabs some sort of amulet thingie around Prometheus's dead neck, and disapears.

You know, for the avatar of Hope, you're being a little on the judgemental side there, Barry. It's probably because you want HAL ALL TO YOURSELF!!BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

So I guess this sets things up for the next Justice League stuff. Eh. Could have been worse I suppose. Ollie really should learn to control this...impulsive side.

Now I think I need chicken.

15 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Thanks for the recap on on JL Rise + Fall. What was the art like? the previews looked horrible. :/

Oh, and i thought you might enjoy this rage kitty:
http://herofashions.blogspot.com/2009/06/rage-kitty-dexx-starr.html

every house should have one.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

So Ollie's gone round the bend? It isn't that other Green Arrow that I saw when I glanced through and issue of Green Arrow/Black Canary, is it?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Saranga, the art wasn't bad at all, actually. Well, parts of it weren't bad, there were multiple artists for some reason.

And the Dex-Starr kitty suit was fabulous.

Alas, Calvin, it seems to be the real Ollie who has lost his marbles. I'm not completely comfortable with the depiction of Barry as being such a wanker, but what what can you do?

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

I´m really growing on Damian, and I´m really happy their working on his depth as a character.

I am also afraid about his future... He and Dick have something... chemistry, maybe. But with Bruce? I just don´t see it.

I really hope they work this out.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Damian was acutally rather tolerable in this issue. He's starting to grow on me a bit. It's nice that he didn't actually cut Dick's head off. I'm really really liking this book.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I think I liked Damian best when he guest starred with Batgirl. She was so not impressed by the little pipsqueak.

I haven't read Secret Six, so can't comment on that. As for Rise and Fall, it had, as you said, good and bad points. I just wish Ollie would stop being a complete douche.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

Yeah, I thought Barry was acting awfully dickish, too. And I realize he's the Flash and he's fast and all, but he's just not... I don't know. It just doesn't seem in-character for Barry to act this way.

It makes me sad to see Ollie's character completely assassinated every few years, like clockwork. Yes, he's a jerk, yes, he's impulsive, yes he's done some awful things, but GEEZ... he's got good qualities, too. The bad is what makes him such a believable, relatable hero to me. He's not perfect, he makes bad decisions, but at his core, he's a good guy. Yet every other writer that comes along seems intent on adding yet another layer of nastiness to him. Enough is enough!

Also, Hal seems to have forgotten that it was *his* big macho speech about justice and making a real difference that started this whole mess in the first place. You wanted a Justice League that's tougher on crime, Hal? You got it. Don't act so sad and surprised.

...On the bright side, I loved Secret Six. (Though I had a little bit of trouble following Doom Patrol this issue, even though I've been reading it all along and should know what the heck is going on.)

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger poops said...

I thought the whole Cry for Justice thing was horribly mangled and no one seemed to be acting in character, but I think I'm going to enjoy the Ollie-gone-bad storyline.

The only real issue I have is trying to see him as a violent bad-ass with that stupid feather sticking out of his cap!

Go to the closet and get the outfit with the hood!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yeah...I really don't understand the desire to pile on poor Ollie, who admittedly is a bit of a jerk, but heck, that's part of his charm. We can't ALL be Superman. And I'm still scratching my head over what on earth poor Roy did to piss off some of the writers, because he's getting it with both barrels.

I really hope that nothing too terrible happens to Connor or Mia, because they don't deserve this crap. Fortunately, Dinah will be safe in the arms of Gail Simone over at Birds of Prey.

Yes, Hal is being a bit disingenuous, but hey, that's Hal. Barry is being QUITE obnoxious, which rather surprises me.

Damian is showing a little vulnerability which I find rather endearing.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

The whole Ollie thing seems pretty fishy to me. Okay, some of his loved ones have been injured/have died. His city's been blown up. His friends all think he's lost it. He's on a killing spree ...

Ollie's been possessed by Parallax! :-)

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

THAT'S IT!

Sea, you're a genius. Sinestro WAS quite surprised by the disappearance of Parallax after all.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

"I think I liked Damian best when he guest starred with Batgirl." Me, too! That was some great chemistry there. Stephanie Brown is really growing on me.

Sea, you might be on to something....

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

Okay, "Batman's pet she-loon" is Huntress, I guess but I've been wracking my brains for two days over who the "psycho-killer" is.

Please, Sally, put me out of my misery, here?

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Cheshire. Cheshire is (was)Lian's mother, but she is ALSO the mother of Catman's baby. Cheshire gets around.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

Thanks, Sally, much obliged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home