Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Green Lantern #53

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, April 23, 2010

Green Lantern #53

Well! So much for the fear of a letdown after the climax of Blackest Night. Geoff Johns starts the action off from the very first page, with poor old Hector Hammond reluctantly communing with a dissembodied voice. In his usual utterly creepy fashion, Hector is trying to get some vicarious thrills out of pretending to live Hal's life, but the Voice isn't buying it. Oddly enough, it declares that Hector is afraid...and that it's good. Oh, and the background color for the word balloons is yellow.

Well...that has to be a bit of foreshadowing! We are then taken to Ryut, and see an odd little cloaked figure with a green shackle on its ankle. This mysterious figure is apparently the same one who is talking to Hector. We continue through some very nice artwork, to a central chamber that is eerily reminiscent of the one that the Star Sapphires had waaaaaaay back when, with monoliths showing each of the seven colors. And lo and behold, there's Parallax, imprisoned above the yellow monolith! At least we now know where he is!

Meanwhile, back on earth, Hal and Carol are having a drink and reconnecting a bit...ie. flirting like mad. Oh Hal, you dog. They decide to go flying together in separate jets, and are having a fine old time. Carol even brings up Cowgirl, although it seems as though Hal is having trouble remembering who she is. Hal, you just live in the moment, don't you? They are seemingly attacked by none other than Sinestro, who actually was just trying to get their attention, by flying THROUGH their planes. And if you believe that, he has a bridge on Qward to sell you.

But it seems as though Sinestro is actually on the up and up, since he found the White Lantern at the end of Brightest Day, he reveals to Hal, that the White Entity is asking for him...that is, Hal. Everyone wants Hal!

Lex Luthor in the meantime is having a bit of a hard time of it, trying to recover from the effects of the Orange Lantern. Larfleeze shows up and just fans the flames. You also have to feel awfully sorry for poor Sayd...she doesn't look happy at all. Lex manages to prove that he is indeed smart, by figuring out a way to bamboozle Larfleeze, who may be powerful, but isn't necessarily the brightest crayon in the box.

St. Walker is saying prayers for the fallen, while Barry helps restore their headstones in a cemetary, which is a nice little touch. Nice to know that there are actually consequences, and that people are trying to put things aright.

And finally, Atrocitus is back sulking on Ysmault, when another mysterious personage shows up. Well...not so mysterious, in as it turns out to be none other than Ganthet, who has a propsal for Atrocitus. And not just Atrocitus as it turns out...but for Guy Gardner as well!

I...I don't know WHAT to think of this last little tidbit! Ganthet says that he's dedicated to working against the Guardians, and that he wants Atrocitus' and Guy's help? Wha...? Guy even says he's in, but that if they go through with whatever "it" is, then he and Hal will be done being friends.

I am intrigued. Sorely intrigued. This is also the first mention of Guy's new book, so I'm even MORE intrigued.

Doug Mahnke continues to knock it out of the park, artwise, and Johns has managed to plant all sorts of new seeds for storylines in a single issue.

7 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger poops said...

Another great rundown, Sally!

I'm still in awe over this issue...it made me feel like Blackest Night (which I thought was AWESOME!) was a minor speed bump in the whole GL saga!

Hector "Holy Head!" Hammond hearing voices, a lost (imprisoned?) Guardian, a top-secret mission against the Corps put together by none other than Ganthet??!! Who CARES about White Lanterns!

Big-time pissah here!

I originally I had no intention of following Gardner's book, but that last page brought me on board.

(I'm growing my hair out so I can wash Geoff John's feet if I ever meet him.)

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

I almost dropped from the chair when I reached that last part! at least Gardner has some spine, and has learned something out of the big mess of Blackest Night!

Hal was all mouth, as always, saying that he´ll never work for the guardians again, but I guess he´s pretty busy trying to get Carol back. Guy, however, is going trought with it, wich is awesome!

He´s gonna act as an insider or something... I am SO glad that now we´re getting some Green Lantern´s piece of cake every week!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

This whole revelation with Guy has me just flabberghasted. What on earth are he and Ganthet up to? It's interesting that he seems to have implicit trust in Ganthet at least. But despite their ups and downs,he's close to Hal too, so it must be BIG if he's willing to put their friendship at risk.

I can hardly wait till August.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

"And if you believe that, he has a bridge on Qward to sell you." Bwahahaha!

I was hoping someone would know what Ganthet and Guy are up to...I thought maybe I had missed something, but I guess we're all in the dark.

Mahnke draws a really nice civilian Hal Jordan, I must say.

I loved Luthor's response of "Land!" to Larfleeze. I literally lol'd. I mean, Lex Luthor + Real Estate? Never gets old. :)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Hmmmmm ... I wonder if the shackled figure is Krona? Or even Dawlakispokpok?

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ghesundheit!

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Brian Smith said...

I know I'm late, but I get my comics mailed to me once a month -- the bit in the artwork that I didn't catch the first go-round was in the "We had a truce" flashback. There's Sayd being taken away by Larfleeze, and Ganthet looking sad, and good GRIEF that packed a wallop when I finally saw it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home