Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: So Now What?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

So Now What?

Now that Blackest Night is over, and we have all taken a cummulative cleansing breath...now what? I know, we are going to be jumping fairly directly into Brightest Day, but there seems to be an awful lot of ambiguity about precicely what that term means.

At first, we all thought...ok, I thought...it meant that things weren't going to be quite so dark, that my favorite heroes would be resurrected, and that suddenly we would have Max Lord heading up the JLI again, and it would all be happiness and light. And that's not necessarily a BAD thing to happen! I understand that you need conflict in order to sell comic books, and that Lord knows, the "Grim & Gritty" Genii can't be shoved back into his black little bottle. I'm also thrilled to pieces that some of my favorite characters DID end up getting brought back, such as J'onn J'onnz and Aquaman, and yes, Max Lord. It's nice I suppose that the Hawk people are back, I don't actively despise Carter, although I think he's a bit of a pain sometimes, but I'm sure that Ray will be pleased. I'm a little surprised about Shayera instead of Kendra. Firestorm is nice. Barry will be happy. Hawk is a bit of a jerk, but since Guy has become less of one, I suppose that there is still room for a real asshole in the DC Universe.

But Captain Boomerang? Well...I actually rather like the original, although he certainly doesn't look fat and old and has apparently lost his ponytail. I'm sure that the rest of the Rogues will be quite surprised. I wish that they could have brought back James Jesse, the original Trickster, because I REALLY liked him...but apparently it was not to be.

Jade is NOT one of my favorites. She's just so...whiney. And she treated Kyle so badly. And she's so incompetent most of the time. I guess that Alan and Todd will be happy. And she's probably going to provide a LOT of angst for Kyle and Soranik. I happen to think that Soranik is worth a HUNDRED Jades, and I really do hope that Kyle comes to think so too.

Then there is Osiris. A nice enough young fellow, obviously, but still, not around long enough for me to form much of an opinion about. Are they going to put him back in the Titans, or more probably, will he be involved with all the various Shazammers? I guess this means that they will be bringing back Black Adam which is a actually a good thing.

Who else? Oh yes, dear dear Max. I don't know yet, but I'm worried that they are going to have evilMax, instead of mostly goodMax, who has been sitting on a beach on Kooey Kooey Kooey for all of this time. I admit it though. I LIKE Max, and I'll take him any way that I can get him. He should probably steer clear of Wonder Woman for a while however.

I would think that he's going to be in the new JLI book, or at least be a part of it. They are showing Captain Atom, who is not one of my favorites, Fire, Ice and Booster who ARE some of my favorites. I really do think that they should get Guy in there as soon as possible. Also I believe that Jaime is going to be the new Blue Beetle, which will be nice, since he already knows Guy, Booster, Fire and Ice. He'll probably think that Capt. Atom is a jerk, which is true of course. But what about J'onn? He really OUGHT to be in the new JLI. With this bunch, a babysitter would be a necessity. And...well, heck, J'onn should ALWAYS bein the Justice League, in at least some incarnation. It's just what he does. He'll be eating chocos and having migraines soon with the best of them.

I also hope that there is going to be a new Aquaman book, because I WILL buy it! I love his new outfit, the collar is quite nice. Getting rid of all the long hair and that stupid beard are also nice. Having his hand back is nice. Plus Mera is awesome. Too bad about Garth though.

But anyway...getting back to the original idea about Brightest Day, before I got sidetracked...there are signs now that it isn't going to be quite as light as I had originally supposed. I am not surprised of course. But I DO hope that this means that the gratuitous deaths of decent characters will be coming to a well-deserved end, because I'm so damn TIRED of it. It's not new, it's not shocking, it's just annoying, and lazy and I'm fed up. If you don't want to use a particular character just let them fade away into the background for a while so that some OTHER writer who DOES have some ideas can play with them.

Oh, and having some of the new books be bi-weekly? Wonderful!

7 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger poops said...

I got so caught up in the Green Lantern mythos throughout Blackest Night that I forgot that it was kind of just a vehicle to bring back some DCU characters.

There are now a ton of unanswered questions regarding the Green Lantern Corps themselves that I thought were going to be resolved in BL. Some that are torturing me:

-Are the Guardians going to come clean about their shady past and the actual deal with the Manhunters and Sector 666?

-Where is the Predator (and Parallax, as well as the other entities for that matter - Crimson Creature of Anger!)?

-I'd love some more back story on the Five Inversions

-Scar, the Indigos and about a million other intrigues!

I think the return of Aquaman, the Hawks, Deadman, etc. will have some great story points, but I'm a GL junkie, so I'm far more interested in where Johns plans on going with Hal and Corps.

I LOVED Blackest Night and STILL feel it's a great time to be a Green Lantern fan (and has been since Rebirth!)!

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually feel somewhat 'down' in the aftermath of Blackest Night. I'm going to miss Kendra Saunders. And I feel sorry old Boomer -- his newly trim waistline isn't much compensation for what happened with Owen. Speaking of which, hasn't Aquaman lost three sons now...?

Really, this resurrection stuff is a double-edged sword.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

There ARE a whole lot of unanswered questions, aren't there? Which isn't so terrible, since it will all provide plots for the next five years or so.

The Guardians have a LOT to answer for. And I imagine that it is going to have to be awkward dealing with Ganthet as a Lantern, when he used to be a Guardian...and STILL has all that Guardian power. Not to mention the fact that Scar made fools out of ALL of them. The Guardians are going to be a mess for a while.

Oh, and apparently the Alpha Lanterns are going to be trying to stage a coup. THAT should be fun!

Yeah, I'm bummed about Owen.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

Hal swore that he will quit the Corps if the Guardians were still acting like pricks... And whatever happened with the Guardians? Last I remember, they were still trapped in that black ooze! also, they are fewer and fewer Guardians each GL event... They will need to mate with the Zamarons soon if they want to survive!

And on the other note... I want someone giving me answers about the Indigos. Soon. They still killed that lantern in Tales of The Corps, and if you combine this with the brainwashing of Black Hand, they look creepier and creepier every second.

And I want to see what´s gonna happen with all the corps.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Erich said...

Not directly related to the Blackest Night aftermath (okay, not even INdirectly related), but I was wondering whether you'd seen Snell's recent post on an obscure '70s GL story:

Hal Jordan's $100,000 Kiss

As soon as I read it, I thought "Sally ought to know about this one!"

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Well, at least Alan and Obsidian will be glad Jade is back. Maybe she'll take Alan's place in the JSA.

Ha! Snell dug up a good one. I had completely forgotten about that story. :-)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Hal...That must have been one helluva kiss. This just goes to prove my theory that Hal never gets a job using his real name...heck, he probably hasn't paid income tax in YEARS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home