Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Enough of Romance...Howzabout Some Reviews?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Enough of Romance...Howzabout Some Reviews?

Well, that was a very pleasant week at the comic book store! I did pick up Batman #700, mainly because I was curious, and it was quite nice. I don't have a lot of time or angst invested in Batman, so I was perfectly happy with all of the stories. Plus some of the art was simply glorious. Some of it was not so glorious, but hey, them's the breaks.

I was also quite pleased with The Return of Bruce Wayne #3. Pirate Batman! The Black Pirate from Starman, and Blackbeard! What's NOT to like!Grant Morrison seems to be enjoying himself, and the art was quite nice. It had pirates, and caves, and treasure and Batpeople and mayhem and swashbuckling. Lots and lots of swashbuckling. Grant Morrison can buckle my swash ANY day!

Green Lantern Corps #49. Egad!

Green Arrow #1. Yes, I admit that I went out and bought this. I just can't resist Ollie, and that's an awfully pretty cover. Besides, I mostly buy my books because I like the CHARACTERS, so I'm willing to give just about any writer or artist a chance. So don't blow it.

It wasn't really bad at all. There is a giant star-shaped forest in the middle of Star City, which is rather odd. The rest of Star City seems to be going to the dogs. Yes, Ollie does save that attractive young lady from a fate worse than death, that we saw in all of the previews,and he fills quite a number of unpleasant young men full of pointy sticks into the bargain. She's probably going to be a recurring character, since they went to the trouble of giving her a name and a bit of a backstory. The politicians are corrupt and the police are even more corrupt, so the poor people of Star City are suffering a lot. Ollie is more than happy to hang out in the forest as a latter-day Robin Hood, literally stealing from the rich to give to the poor. Too bad some of the poor don't like his hors d' oevres.

Oh, and Hal shows up, and manages to fall on his head, when his ring suddenly stops working. It may have something to do with the large White Lantern symbol that is on an equally large tree. You know I can't resist Hal, so I'll be picking this up for a while.

Justice League: Generation Lost #4. I actually didn't hate this issue. Maybe I'm getting into the story a bit more, although I still am not thrilled with the way that Ice whines all of the time. Our doughty heroes were somehow transported to Russia of all places, where they manage to run into a bunch of Rocket Reds, who are fighting an OLD Rocket Red, and in all of the mayhem, they end up helping the lone Rocket. Red. That guy. He's more than delighted to hang out with the JLI. They all deny it, but then it finally dawns on Booster that this is what Max has been planning all along. He's getting the Band Back Together.

Max meanwhile is having problems of his own, since every time he uses his mind whammy powers, he creates a Black Lantern. A DEAD Black Lantern. I have to admit that I'm becoming intrigued. Just what the heck is going on here? All we need is a Green Lantern, which is exactly what the new Rocket Red pointed out, expecting a GL to simply fall from the sky.

It had better be Guy!

Streets of Gotham #13 was fun. It finished up the story of the Carpenter, and how she manages to escape being the guinea pig to test the serious of deadly boobytraps that she's created for her insane movie-making employer. He wants to trap Batman and film it all, but he is also planning on using her first...to test the traps and to get out of paying her. So this was fun.

Also Manhunter was wonderful. Really, trying to use Ramsey as a way to get back at Kate is probably one of the stupidest things that Jane Doe ever tried. So wonderful.

And finally, I picked up Superman #700, and it was quite enjoyable. I haven't been following the Superman War, or the whole Krypton thing, so this wraps up a few loose ends, and it was just so nice to get Clark and Lois back together again. And the story with Superman and Robin was just cute. So it was definitely worthwhile.

And finally, simply because I cannot let this whole Romance Comics Cover thing go...

guy

Why look, there's Guy and Kari Limbo before Hal Jordan entered and destroyed their lives! I'm sure that Guy is managing to keep one eye on the television, although I must admit to being surprised that he's not watching a football game.

8 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Are you SURE that isn't Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen sharing a smooch? ;-)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, that WOULD be a lot more fun.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

i think guy is filming himself and kari..

glad to hear GA was ok..i will be picking it up from issue #2.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I've only skimmed GA 1 so far, but it does have promise, so I'll give it a fair shake.

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Pete said...

So, the thought just occurred to me, on reading JL:GL (odd that it even has a GL in the title)...what if the GL they end up with, assuming they end up with one, isn't Guy, but...G'nort?

Seriously. I miss that little furball.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

I miss G'nort, too, but my aim is is improving.

JL:GL is growing on me, too. The Booster Gold issue a couple of weeks ago was surprisingly good, and this week's Power Girl is even better. Max's Mind Whammy had some impacts on people other than the Generation Lost cast, and Ms. Starr is top of the list.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous wik said...

I actually thought that was Barry. Maybe it's just my computer screen being a little off, 'cos he looked kinda blond (and adorably dorky with the sweater and that hairstyle)

Now, though, we should concentrate on getting an Elseworlds where Jimmy and Lois are a couple with Jimmy being a captain of industry.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

That's the fun thing about these ridiculous Romance comic covers...they can be so MANY people!

But I still think that most of them look like Hal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home