Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I've Been Thinking

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I've Been Thinking

Always a dangerous pastime. But I keep picking away at the thought of the new Justice League: Generation Lost book like a scab. It is BOTHERING me. And in a way, I suppose that that is a GOOD thing, because as much as the out-of-character writing of Tora is annoying me, I can still hardy wait for the next issue, just to see what is going on. And that therefore, the book has done what it is supposed to. Get me to read, and think about it.

Just what IS going on with Max Lord anyway? On the one hand, you have him trying to talk to Booster and he says that he misses him...albeit while bashing him in the head with a piece of rebar. And Max is portrayed in a slightly more favorable light in Booster Gold. So that's one side. On the other hand, he's going out of his way to be unbelievably obnoxious to Fire, Ice and Capt. Atom back in the JLI book. It's almost as though there are TWO Max's!

Could that be it? From way back when, Max was possessed by that cyborg thingie, and mind controlled by Kilg%re. And we know that Kilg%re is still around...at least I THINK so, because he showed up in the final issues of Birds of Prey, when they were in Platinum Flats. Geoff Johns has talked about the possibility of redemption for some of the characters that were brought back in Brightest Day, and if anyone needs redemption, it has to be Max Lord.

Not to mention the fact, that Captain Atom and Hawk were ALSO heroes who went bad. Really bad. Monarch and Extant ring any bells? And yet here they are, all happy and shiny and redeemed. Wonder Woman didn't twist THEIR heads off!

So, I'm beginning to suspect that there is more to all of this, than we have actually seen so far. I'm nervous...but hopeful.

5 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Nobody Important said...

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying the addition of Hawk to BoP. At first I thought, "Yeccchhhh, BIRDS of Prey... oy vey", but after #2 this week, the addition of a classic chauvinist to DC's premier "Grrl Power" team will definitely make for an interesting dynamic

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

All that naked testosterone...Hawk does have his moments. I'm rather looking forward to seeing how the other Birds wind up dealing with all of his...enthusiasm.

Dove just rolls her eyes and sighs.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Osiris hits that "good guy gone bad" vibe too. I think the kid really did mean well. And we do have Professor Zoom and Captain Boomerang in the mix, for whatever crazy reason...

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

"A dangerous pastime"...and now I have a song from Beauty and the Beast stuck in my head, lol.

I like how much depth their showing with Max, which was really lacking before. Johns even had Booster saying "we never liked Max" in his run. But I didn't read it as two different Maxs', just reflecting some compassion before he smugly rubbed in the manipulation of others.

The DC Nation in the back off JLGL 1 mentions "revenge and redemption" but it also calls Max the greatest evil the DCU has to offer. As long as Teds' death is hanging over him I can't see Max being redeemed. Not if it's supposed to have any meaning, which DC claims it does.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Max was always a bit of a manipulative SOB, but he wasn't out and out EVIL like he seems to be now. So what the heck happened to him? Is HE being controlled?

I'd actually like to think so, because I was rather fond of the old Max.

I also don't understand why he's running around playing head games with the JLI. If he could wipe out the memory of himself from everyone else, why doesn't he just have another go at it with Fire, Ice, Atom and Booster? It's only the four of them...surely his mind-whammy powers could handle the four of them!

Unless...it can't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home