Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: June is Finally Over...Here's Reviews!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 01, 2010

June is Finally Over...Here's Reviews!

Is it me, or did June just seem to go on forever? Not that easy for a month that is only thirty days long, but I guess since it had five Wednesdays, it seemed to go on...and on...and on...!

There were some goodies to be had however.

The Flash #3. Did this come out late? It seems like a long time since the last issu, but that may be the fault of the wonky schedule again. Anyway, it was nice. It seems as though Barry is about to be accused of murder, after his fingerprints are found on the evidence, but they just assume he's a screw-up...which might actually be more insulting. Those future Rogues just won't give up, and Captain Boomerang discovers some rather interesting side effects from being dead.

Gotham City Sirens #13. Selina's sister Maggie the Nun is back, madder than a coot. She's apparently possessed by an angel, and thinks that Catwoman is possessed by a Cat Demon, and she'll stop at nothing to "save" her. Even poor Harley gets dragged into the whole mess. Not my favorite story, but still not bad.

Green Lantern #55. Lots of fun, that will be covered anon. And one of the best ass-shots of Hal that I've seen in a LOOOOONGGGG time! Woohoo!

Justice League of America #46. I can't stand Jade, I'm not particularly fond of Donna, and I'm not sure why Liberty Belle is running around with the JLA, but dagnabit, this wasn't bad. The starheart meteor that brought Jade to Earth, is wreaking havoc with all of the mystical types, in particular Alan and Obsidian, so Jade is all aflutter. And apparently, she is jealous of Donna, and probably Soranik, and can't keep her mind on her job. Man, I hate Jade...but I ENJOY hating Jade. Oh, and Mikaal is having a very very bad day.

Justice Society of America #40. Remember all the bad stuff that happened when the Nazis took over America? Well, Mister Terrific manages to gasp out a few words of wisdom before expiring, and Alan Scott runs off to implement his plan, and lo and behold, Obsidian is BACK! In the flesh and with dialogue! And saves stuff. I didn't particularly think that Mr. Willingham's gay joke was particularly funny, but I'm so glad to have Todd back as a character, that I'm willing to overlook it. And this must happen right before all the stuff in Justice League, which is slightly confusing.

Wonder Woman#600. I am enraged and enchanted. Lovely pinup art of course. A nice story by Gail Simone and drawn by George Perez, with a nod to history. A simply wonderful story written and drawn by Amanda Conner, which involves Egg Fu and Power Girl's cat. A decent story by Louise Simonson, drawn by Eduardo Pamsica. I'm not familiar with the latter, but the artwork was nice. A short bit with Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins.

And then the stuff with J. Michael Straczynski as the new writer, and Don Kramer as the artist. Wonder Woman has a new costume, as designed by Jim Lee...and it's not terrible. She's wearing pants, which isn't a bad thing. I'm not particularly enthused about the jacket, which would seem to be an encumbrance. At least she still has her tiara. But Straczynski, just threw out practically ALL of her back story, including killing off Hippolyta. Since Gail brought Hippolyta back, I am not happy. I LIKE Hippolyta! He also got rid of Themiscyra, which is one of those nice iconic DC bits of geography that I enjoy so much. So...I guess I'll be dropping Wonder Woman. I love the character, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the direction that the new writer is planning on taking her. Call me an old fuddy-duddy.

Thor #611 is still good. I've had a crush on Thor since I was fifteen. They have a nice service for Loki, and I'm breathlessly awaiting HIS return. You can't keep a good villain down, and I'm sure that Loki planned ahead for this particular eventuality. Mephisto gave Hela a little bit of real estate, and then things go to hell. Literally. Not bad. Not bad at all.

10 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Is this new WW story a permanent one then? Or does it look like she'll work out the truth in a few issues time?

My store didn;t have any copies left today so I have to wait till next week to read it. :/

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My understanding is that they're playing it so that it can be reversed quickly if necessary ("Oh, I guess the gods changed everything back to normal!") but can keep going indefinitely if it proves popular.

There are two things that really bug me about the revised origin: First, that it makes Diana another hero with a tragic backstory. Because that's such a rarity in the medium, y'know, and shoehorning tragedy into a character's past is never a bad idea. And second, because it makes her less iconic within the DCU itself. No one in-universe has ever heard of this new Wondy (or at least that was the impression that I got from JMS's story). She's the farthest thing from being one of the Big Three heroes of her world.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I don't know what to think about Wonder Woman. I've always liked Rucka's take on her, and enjoyed Gail Simone's as well, and JMS is apparently just throwing EVERYTHING out, and starting over.

You really really can't do that. Witness "One More Day" for example. A lot of fans...and I am one of them...LIKE continuity.


Hopefully, it will all be over in a couple of months, they'll get a new writer, and this will all be forgotten.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I'm dropping WW, but 600 was really nice. I'm just pretending that story by JMS is an Elseworlds tale. That's the only way it can make sense to me.

Gotham City Sirens was fun. Maggie is a lot more interesting as a loon, isn't she? ;)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Garnet said...

They can find a way to keep the costume and shed the JMS revisionism, I'm sure. On the other hand that just encourages more crappy revisionism.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Shelly, I think that you have the right idea. We'll just pretend. Just like I'm pretending that Amanda Conner is still doing Power Girl.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

LOL, Sally. I'm hoping PG is at least readable. I'm afraid I'll be too annoyed to read WW right now. ;)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

This is coming from someone who thinks Simone and Rucka were two of WW's writers:


I haven't picked it up yet, but it sounds to me like it's just one of those "history/reality's been turned on its ass" storylines that the Big Two churn out from time to time (think "X-Men: Age of Apocalypse", "World Without Young Justice", "Emperor Joker"). In the end those everything gets mostly restored to normal at the storyline's end. So I doubt permanent damage will be done. Much.

Then again, it's JMS. The last time he initiated an "altered history" storyline, we got the godawful "Spidey: One More Day".

Still trying to process how I feel about the new costume. It's not bad in its own right, but it kind of looks more Donna Troy than Diana.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

I meant "two of WW's BEST writers".

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

She DOES look a bit more like Donna doesn't she?

I'm not happy about the demise of Hippolyta and Themiscyra, and I am nervous because JMS was behind the BRILLIANT idea of having Norman Osborn bonk Gwen Stacy. That's...that's just wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home