Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Reviews!

This was a rather...odd week for me. Picked up some new books that I've never tried before, which is always fun.

Batman Odyssey #2. This...is a mess. A glorious mess. There are flashbacks, Batman being completely incompetent, and lots of explosions, while the plot bounced hither and yon...and I don't care. Firstly, it's by Neal Adams, and there wouldn't even have to be any dialogue, and I'd be drooling over the art. Really, the first page, is a shirtless, maskless Batman, and it took me five minutes before I realized that there were more pages to go, because I was mesmerized.

Secondly, Batman being less than omnipotent always entertains me. He's hearkening back to when he was the rawest of rookies, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'm sure that just about everyone else will be hating this, but I'm loving it.

Brightest Day #7. Well! Deadman certainly does enjoy his cheeseburger. I'm beginning to think that the White Lantern entity has a certain dry sense of humor. Too bad that it's dying, and that it needs the twelve returned heroes and villains to do...stuff, while waiting for its successor. So new stuff is revealed, while new mysteries also abound. Again, I'm enjoying this. And the art seems awfully purty this week.

Jonah Hex #58. This was cool. There is a narrator, and at first I thought that it was the apparent killer from the front page, but it gets more complicated and more interesting the further into this that you go. Every Bullet DOES tell a story, and this is a humdinger. There are twists and turns, and things don't turn out exactly as you might expect, and I'm happy at the end, and that's all that I ask from my comics.

Red Robin #15. I finally broke down and picked this up, after hearing about it, and I have to admit that it's pretty good. The lengths that Tim is willing to go to, are astonishing...and the fact that he's just so smart about it all, makes him even more astonishing. Also, I'm really starting to like Damian, that little scamp. Good stuff.

Secret Six #24. Ok, things are a little peculiar, but GOOD peculiar. All of a sudden our favorite villains are in the old west, and stories from the past are jumping out, and all kinds of interesting things are going on, and really, all they're trying to do is be heroes. Too bad how it all works out. I'm sure that SOMEbody is messing with their heads here, but it's just a heck of a lot of fun. I'm really starting to develop a crush on Deadshot.

The Rage of Thor. This is a one-shot offering by Peter Milligan, with art by Mico Suayan. I don't have a clue who that is, but the art is quite nice. This is an old tale, of the first time that Thor had a hissy fit, and stomped off to live on earth, because he was mad that the dwarves made a doppleganger of him, and that the rest of the Asgardians fell for it. Quite frankly, Odin isn't helping things, because he's a monumental douchebag, but that's part of his schtick after all.

Anyway, Thor goes off to Midgard to sulk, and ends up helping some nice farmers, and finds a girl, and adopts her son, and is apparently having a rather nice life of it. Too bad that Surtur keeps coming back and beating up Asgard, not to mention Odin, who is a little the worse for wear, so Baldur has to go to Midgard and try to get Thor to come back and save their collective butt. He's cranky of course, but he does it. Too bad his girl dies of the plague while he's gone.

Man, all those Asgardian Gods did was drink and fight...which is actually pretty close to the way that the Vikings saw them, so it was a great story.

So, a darned enjoyable week!

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

No one does shirtless Batman better than Neal Adams. ;-)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

True...so very very true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home