Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Bouquets and Brickbats

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bouquets and Brickbats

As I mentioned, there weren't a whole lot of books, but still, I do love going.

We begin with Gotham City Sirens #16. I have to say that this particular issue fell a little flat for me, although there certainly were some nice moments. Poor Harley just doesn't get any respect. It seems a little on the convoluted side however, and I'm not sure that I really buy Zatanna's actions. It seemed...a little odd.

Still, not terrible, just not great. And frankly, I always find Talia to be a bit of a bore.

Green Arrow #4. This is still not too bad. Damning with faint praise, I know, but really, my expectations at the beginning of this series were VERY low. This basically covers some of the same ground with J'onn as did Brightest Day, but from, Ollie's point of view, which isn't a bad thing. I find that I'm interested in spite of myself. And sure enough, the lady that he saved way back when is popping up again.

Oh Ollie.

Justice Society of America #43

I really found this issue to be a bit...weird. Make that REALLY weird. Suddenly the Starheart has created a fairytale paradise on the dark side of the moon, and all the fairytale creatures are relocating there. It's like Shrek! Alan is getting something of a kick out of being a diplomat and running the whole show, while Obsidian is moping around because he can't hang out with Jenny. According to Alan, if the two of them get within a mere half-mile of each other, the world will literally come to an end. Todd expresses a certain amount of skepticism about this, and who can blame him? But Alan got together with various people and checked out alternate futures or something, and it all ends...badly. So Todd and Jade have to stay apart.

Does this mean that Alan won't be hanging out with the rest of the Justice Society? If so, then it is a real shame. Otherworldy paradise aside, I am quite fond of Alan, not to mention all the OTHER old Farts in the JSA...and it won't be the same without him.

I have some reservations about this particular storyline, but I guess I'll stick with it for now.

Time Masters: Vanishing Point #3. I actually LIKED this book! Supposedly they are all out looking for Batman, but that premise seems to be falling by the wayside, which is probably a good thing, since Batman is perfectly capable of returning all on his own. It IS fun seeing Superman be so imcompetent and Hal be so arrogant. Wait...Hal is ALWAYS arrogant! The way that the two of them always end up treating Booster sets my teeth on edge, but really, it's pretty realistic I suppose. And I simply love seeing more of Rip's childhood.



So I'm liking this. I'm liking it a lot.

And finally, we come to Wonder Woman #603. I'm...not really feeling this. She attacks and gets her soul sent to Hell, and then comes back, and fights and fights and fights, but it is all so...cold and clinical to me. I Miss Gail Simone! Straczynski's Wonder Woman seemed souless even BEFORE she got whammied.

So...meh.

Not a whole lot of bouquets this week apparently.

7 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JSA read to me like 22 pages of Robinson shrilly screaming that he'd done something great with Alan and Todd and Jennie and nobody better change nothin'! Ever! Which means I'm left hoping that the entire thing is dismissed entirely by the new creative team, Todd and Damon and Jennie share an apartment (and Jennie has to pretend to be a lesbian to get on the lease... hijinks ensue!), and nobody ever mentions Alan's delicate grasp on his awesome power ever again.

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

That's too bad about Wonder Woman. Y'know, one of these days DC should actually hire a writer for her who actually UNDERSTANDS Greek Mythology. I don't think anyone short of WW's creator has ever, actually GOTTEN that very important part of her characterization.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

Actually, I would pitch YOU for the WW gig, Sea.

And isn't Syaf (GL Corps artist)going to Birds Of Prey? Or is he fast enough to do both books?

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I'm getting the distinct feeling I made the right choice to drop JSA.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yeah, it was something of a crappy week. Thank goodness for Booster Gold. And Hal. And tentacles.

JSA was just...peculiar. Wonder Woman was disjointed, Sirens hopped around too much. But Ollie wasn't actually too bad.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

My LCS is closed for awhile so I haven't read Time Masters but I gave into reading a few scans while I wait. I think Boosters' starting to see why Guy complained about Hal so much. I love little Rip and daddy Booster. This makes me look forward to the Brainy vs. Booster arc Jurgens has been trying to do. At least we know the outcome.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I actually like Hal when I don't feel like slapping him, but I have to say that he's ALWAYS treated the old JLI version of the league like dirt beneath his feet. It didn't matter that both Batman and Martian Manhunter were on the team either.

If Guy was on this little quest with Booster and Rip, they'd have found Bats by now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home