Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: While Reading the Newspaper

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

While Reading the Newspaper

I am one of those dinosaurs that the newspaper publishers in this country simply love. I subscribe to my local paper and I read it cover to cover every morning. Including the comics. Especially the comics.

I also of course check out The Comics Curmudgeon's site every day, because it is hilarious. And I must admit to a bizarre fascination with Mary Worth. Not because it is particularly witty, well-drawn or even GOOD, but because it is so gawdawfully terrible that it is fun. The highlight of course, was the stalking of Mary by the Captain Kangaroo clone a few years back, and his death by plunging off of a cliff in his car. It's hard to top that moment, although I think that the most recent storyline with the young doctor who can't find love because his evil father walked out of him came pretty close. It turns out that he FINDS his deadbeat Dad, and takes him in...and THAT VERY NIGHT HE DIES!! Coincidence?

I think not.

It is also interesting that the Mary Worth character of Wilbur, the columnist seems to have turned up in Rex Morgan M.D. as a sleezy town councilman! Wilbur is obviously leading a double life, and it would be wonderful if Mary tries to catch him at it, and he murders her and buries her body under the dock at that crummy restaurant that she frequents so...frequently.

Man, newspaper comics are violent! I need to stick to the regular superheroes, where the plotlines are more believable.

3 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Mary Worth? I used to be hooked on Brenda Starr, if you can believe that. ;-)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Brenda Starr! I used to read her strip all the time! Is it still even being run? My paper doesn't carry it, which is a darned shame.

I love Mary Worth, simply because it is so unbelievably terrible. Gut-wrenchingly awful. It's hilarious.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Nah, I think Brenda Starr died off the same time Bloom County and Far Side did. Ah, how I miss '80s comics ...!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home