Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Bouquets and Brickbats

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bouquets and Brickbats

Well, that was a pleasant little week. For the most part, I am fairly pleased with my gleanings this week.

We begin of course with Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #6, which was pretty decent all things considered. I actually think that I enjoyed Batman and Robin a bit more, but this explains how exactly Bruce managed to get back without blowing up the Universe, and wrapped things up fairly neatly. It also hints about the ending for the Time Masters, but it was just so cool, that I forgive it that. Once again, Hal was acting like a douche and once again, he was schooled by Rip. Woohoo! Not a HUGE bouquet, but certainly a nosegay.

Birds of Prey #6. Well! This is a bit more like it! I was getting a little cranky about Dinah, but since Sin is involved, it actually begins to make sense. Oh, and Shiva shows up, and there is fighting and stuff. And Zinda makes a pig of herself, but heck, I find that endearing. So, a nice small bouquet.

Booster Gold #38. Oh heck, this was fun. I absolutely can't STAND General Glory, but I still enjoyed this little romp. I did feel awfully sorry for Ernie.2. But still...Nazis! I'm not exactly sure what bug got up Michele's butt...man was SHE cranky, but it was nice to see the kid again, and you certainly can't fault her logic. A bit silly, but enjoyable. A nice full bouquet.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #4. A nice big fat bouquet. More tomorrow.

Justice League:Generation Lost #13. I'm a bit torn here. I STILL haven't forgiven Winick for his hack job on Ice, and I won't until it's finally fixed. On the other hand, Magog! Getting blowed up! Blowed up GOOD!!! Be still my heart. I can't STAND Magog, and I've been rooting for his demise for quite some time. Of course, Max showed up and was the actual murderer, but he made it LOOK like it was Captain Shinypants, which is probably going to lead to some problems down the road. So, I can't exactly hurl a brickbat, but on the other hand, I'm still in too big of a snit to award a bouquet. So...a couple of dandylions clutched in one hand perhaps. With a thistle or two.

5 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

The Michelle thing (well the habit of every issue having a woman screaming at Booster) is getting on my last nerve. Other than that this was the first issue in a while that I truly enjoyed. BTW have you noticed how, well, advanced their making Booster? I like that their showing that he has hidden depths and is smarter than people think but building a time sphere by himself? Aren't they supposed to be near impossible to perfect?

JLGL felt really short but I liked it. Boosters' concern for Cap and Caps' speech really were highlights for me.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I wasn't sure how Booster's title would fare once the original creative team left the book, but things are starting to look up. :-)

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous AE said...

Whoa whoa whoa! You're a fan of Guy Gardner, but don't like HIS hero?

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

I confess that working at a comic store gives me both the license and the obligation to read far more comics than I would ever buy myself. This might make me less willing to force myself to finish an issue that's started off on the wrong foot: I don't have the "I paid for this, I'm gonna finish it" impulse encouraging me to sympathize with my captors.

Booster Gold has been on the RBDB (read but don't buy) list for months now. A few pages into the latest issue, alas, I sighed, closed the book, and added to the DBDR list.

The whole "Giffen Brings the Bwah-hah-hah back" routine worried me, but I gave it a chance through the "one last romp with Ted". That storyline was a nice breather from all the heavy Booster's been through since ... well, since Infinite Crisis, really.

People have fond memories of Booster and Beetle, and with good reason; their classic buddy act was funny even before the JLI had slipped all the way into full-on sit-com mode.

General Glory, though? General Bleeping Glory??

If there was a single moment when the JLI era Jumped the Shark, when it was clear that the book had moved from funny people cracking wise in the face of genuine if occasionally absurd threats into the Eternal Damnation of Bwah-Hah-Hah, it was the introduction of General Glory, and everybody knows it.

Please note that there's no hint of his presence on the issue's cover. DC Editorial might have the keen insight to realize this, even if the creative team doesn't.

I'll take your word that there might be an acceptable story following those dreadful pages, but I don't know if I have the intestinal fortitude to push my way through them to see.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I really can't stand General Glory, my love for Guy notwithstanding. He WAS Guy's hero as a child, and growing up in that environment, he certainly served a purpose. Unfortunately for Guy, once he actually MET his beloved hero, he learned that he sadly had feet of clay.

There was that GODDAMNED boxing match for one thing. And then, when Guy was kidnapped by the Draal, and his evil clone was runnign around, Glory refused to believe him. Oh, and he turned their shared apartment into a soup kitchen for bums.

As a thinly veiled swipe at Captain America, General Glory was amusing for about...two seconds. Unfortunately for all of us, they let the joke go on FAR too long.

Nevertheless, it was a pretty good issue...mainly because they present General Glory as a complete idiot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home