Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews...Finally!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Reviews...Finally!

I think that perhaps I am reading TOO MUCH Green Lantern stuff. Today I took a phone call at work, and the nice man at the other end was named Chip. Without even thinking, I wrote his name on my message pad as Ch'p. I think I'm losing it.

Well...it was a small week, and a hardly fought week, but by Gum, I finally have my books and they were all quite quite lovely.

Birds of Prey #8. That's a rather pretty cover for one thing. And an interesting story. It appears that Babs is playing a dangerous game with the Calculator, who has brought some heavy hitters into the mix, including the spooky chick who's touch makes you face all of your regrets. Naturally, this can be a bit distracting, especially when you are trying to kick some serious butt. And naturally, there is some serious butt-kicking going on. Heck even Batman shows up and contributes...and he's NICE about it! In his own fashion of course. There is also a smaller plot going on with Hank Hall, who is AWOL from the main battle, but who is having a little tete-a-tete with the Penguin.

So, lots of action, lots of new things happening, and oh, that little thing with Black Canary. Gosh, this was good.

Bosoter Gold #40. I have to admit to being a little bit confused by this issue. I liked it of course, I ALWAYS like seeing Booster, but it brings up an old foe of General Glory's, and he's researching Booster, and they have some of the facts, but not all of the facts of his past, and oh yes, for some reason, Rip decides to arrest his own father and take him to a trial in the 25th century. I mean...what the heck? But I'll still be here watching and reading of course.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #6. Holy Crapafazoola!

Justice League: Generation Lost #17. Now this was genuinely a good issue. It didn't have any stupid and unnecessary retcons of origins, nor did Tora swear. Max showed up at the end of the last issue and kidnapped Jaime, and things are not looking too well for our humble new Blue Beetle. It was nice to see Mr. Reyes, although he didn't look at ALL like he is supposed to. Oh well. And Power Girl shows up, and there are wheels within wheels, and it all ought to start building to a crescendo pretty soon I would think. I STILL think that it would be awfully nice if Guy shows up and kicks Max's butt, but that's just me.

Secret Six #29. I laughed out loud. Seriously. Lex Luthor is playing cat and mouse with Vandal Savage, and the Six keep getting caught in the middle of their respective machinations. There is a simply fabulous scene where Lex is busy taunting Savage, and makes a stunningly insulting remark about the Six, then says offhandedly to Deadshot, "...no offense intended".

Deadshot replies completely deadpan. "Hey you're rolling. Stuff gets said. No skin off MY full lustrous head of hair, man."

I thought that I would fall on the floor. Best Zinger Ever!

But anyway there's a bomb, and there is considerable one-upmanship going on, not to mention Ragdoll seems to think that they've all died and gone to heaven, and Lori is channeling Doctor Fate, and they DO get blown up, and...oh heck, just go out and read it for yourselves. You WON'T be sorry. God, I love this book.

And finally, Thor: The Mighty Avenger #8. My absolute favorite Marvel book, and they are cancelling it. Oh, they have retroactively designated it as issue 8 of 8, pretending that it was a mini-series, but YOU know, and I know that it wasn't. DAMN YOU MARVEL! I'm beginning to think that I'm a jinx. Every time I really like a quirky little book, it ends up dying. To all the people who didn't buy this...it's a darned shame, because it was fun, and beautifully drawn, and beautifully written, and damn it...it was FUN!!!!

This was spectacular, with Thor being kidnapped by robots and then being helped by Iron Man. Of course, he initially thinks that Iron Man is another robot, but it all ends happily...except that there is a HUGE problem, in that we don't know who the bad guy was, or why he was doing what he was doing, and all the plot threads are left tangled and unanswered. Thanks a lot, Marvel.

So I loved it, but I'm left unsatisfied.

8 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Only one I read so far of these is BoP, and I agree, it was good!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It did seem to have a lot of good things going on...as it should be.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I think I'll trade wait for EW except for his throw down with Hal. Btw is it just me our is Guy seriously cute in this series--besides the blood stuff I mean.

Was way too confused and frustrated with BG. Rip suddenly deciding to turn his father in came out of no where. I know Giffin has issues with Boosters' origin but I'd like it better if this was Boosters' choice rather than the twist. Can't wait for the last Time Masters and the next JLGL! Although this will mean one less Booster title. :(

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Erin, Guy is insanely cute in Emerald Warrior. Er...just in my opinion of course. Pasarin seems to be loosening up a little bit, and it works.

Yeah, in Booster Gold, that last page with Rip arresting him just came out of no where. I am assuming that there is more to it of course, and that perhaps Rip is playing some game with the bad guy, but still...odd. As much as I have always liked Giffen and DeMatteis together, I have to admit that I actually preferred Dan Jurgens take on Booster.

I'm stunned that I actually liked Winick's latest issue of JLI. When he's not writing women, he seems to do a whole lot better.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

Did you got Batgirl? Batgirl/Robin Team-up! They are awesome together!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Damian as Robin? And Stephanie? That...would be interesting.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

Batgirl was awesome this month! Stephanie's always been at odds with Damian, but there was a little bit of sweetness in this book in their relationship. I think you'd like it, Sally!

I second the opinion that I'd rather have Jurgens back on Booster Gold. I love Giffen and DeMatteis, but something just seems off. With the first arc, they were just trying to hard to be funny. Now, something's missing, and I don't know what. You could tell Jurgens really loved his creation, though, and that showed through. When Time Masters wraps up, I don't know what's going to happen with Jurgens.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Batgirl WAS adorable! Steph's lovely and Damian is still a jerk, but it gets more understandable why.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home