Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Something Is Going On with the Guardians

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Something Is Going On with the Guardians

Boy howdy, but Krona was dropping hints about the Guardians in the latest issue of Green Lantern right and left. And to be honest, considering their track record as of late, I am not completely without sympathy towards his point of view. What I really found to be interesting however, was that pesky little preview that they showed us in the back of Green Lantern #62.

We see Krona hanging out with his bestest buddy Ganthet. I smell a retcon on the horizon! Not only that, but Ganthet and the rest of the little blue munchkins are all decked out in flowing white robes, and instead of a Green Lantern emblazoned on their tiny chests, there is the Symbol of the White Life Entity.

Well, I never!

Krona apparently knows all about the various emotional entities, and thinks that the Guardians are a bunch of idiots for thinking that emotion is BAD. They have a certain amount of evidence that proves their point, such as Larfleeze and Atrocitus...and yet, didn't Atrocitus become what he is, BECAUSE of the Guardians and that little slip-up with the Manhunters?

But anyway, there are hints being laid that ONE of the Earth Lanterns isn't going to be about after the War of the Green Lanterns. At first I thought that they were going to kill one of the boys and my heart was in my throat, but looking at the wording, they simply say that one of the 2814 Lanterns is "lost". And then there is that cover with the blacked out silhouette of someone holding a lantern and being welcomed by Sinestro and crew.

So naturally, I am QUITE intrigued. It won't be Hal. Obviously. Hal is being described as "unstable". Well duh. Hal's always unstable. You would have thought that the Guardians would have figured this out by now. I doubt that it will be Kyle. They just killed the poor baby, and he's been resurrected, and stuff. I thought of Guy of course. He's got that whole Red Ring of Rage thing going on, so I suppose that it would make a certain amount of sense if he jumped to the Red Corps. On the other hand, I think that it is a bit TOO obvious. And that silhouette definitely didn't look like Guy.

So...that leaves John. He's really the only one that hasn't been killed off yet. I don't think that they are going to actually kill him, but I would imagine that John is a bit problematic for a lot of writers. What do you DO with John? He's the good soldier, stoic, competent, efficient, but not particularly flashy. He keeps his head down and gets the job done, but he's not going to make a big deal out of it. He's a bit of a dark horse. So, making him the center of a new story would be a welcome change. Or it will get him out of the middle of things. I suppose that it could go either way.

But Hal is fairly close to John, probably more so than to Guy or Kyle, so I could understand him being upset. And it is another way for Hal to focus all of the attention on himself as well, which is always manna from Heaven for Hal. He doesn't necessarily mean to, but somehow it ALWAYS ends up being About Hal Jordan.

So. Whom do YOU think the "lost" Lantern is going to be?

11 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

G'nort. Gotta be G'nort.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

You know, that WOULD make for one heck of a story! At least it probably couldn't be any worse than what Chaykin did in "Collateral Damage" with Dark G'Nort.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

I still think it would have been cooler if the mastermind behind the Blackest Night had been, not Nekron, but Tom Kalmaku.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Heh. I originally wanted it to be all of the women that Hal has dumped, but I suppose that Tom would fall into that category as well. Plus the whole "Pie Face" thing has to...rankle a bit.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

Yeah, that's how I pictured it, too.
"Tom...?"
"Yes, Hal, it's me. Your old mechanic. What was that charming name you used to call me? Oh, yes. 'Pieface'. How that stung every time I heard it, but I didn't dare complain. You were Ferris' star; it would have been more than my job was worth. I had to swallow all that pain, until it festered in my soul; turned it black. Well, now it's your turn to swallow some pain. Tell me, how does it taste? Does it taste like....eskimo pie?"

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

As for all the women Hal has dumped, I've long believed Hal's inability to commit to any one woman is the result of his denial of his own sexuality.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Heh. I truly believe that Hal would hump a rock pile if he thought there was a snake under it.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

"Ollie, I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I've finally realized that my inability to commit to a woman is because I've been in denial all these years. That's over now, and I'm going after what I really want."
"That's great, Hal! So, what do you want?"
"Well, Ollie, that's the bad news..."

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

It IS going to be Hal. Something bad is going to happen to Carol, and Hal isn't going to react well.

That's MY prediction, anyway. :-)

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well...it COULD be Hal actually. Didn't Atrocitus prophesy something of that nature? And Krona certainly seems to dropping tons of hints.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Fernando said...

My money is on Guy. They have him in his own book now. He´s gonna go Red or Blue or whatever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home