Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Favorite Alien Green Lanterns

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Favorite Alien Green Lanterns

There is no denying that I loves me some Earth-based Lanterns. Guy, Kyle, Hal and John are all so adorable in their own individual ways. And yet...and yet, I must admit that I also love so many of the OTHER Green Lanterns out there, who actually make up the huge majority of Lanterns in the Universe.

I like Arisia of course. And Soranik Natu, and Iolande and Katma Tui, who may be dead but still holds a small place in my heart. Not to mention John's. I loved Ch'p because he was so darned cute, and who wouldn't love an anthropomorphic squirrel running around in overalls and a bow-tie? I love Salaak for his curmudgeonliness, and Voz for his fuzziness. Graf Toren is an awfully nice guy, and I was fond of Kreon too, and it's a darned shame that they killed him off. I even like Boodikka.

ch'p

Tomar Tu is a nice boy. Vath Sarn is cranky, but I like him, and for some reason I really like Isamot. It must be the teeth. And he was nice enough to give Vath his legs, which is something that you just don't see everyday. Rot Lop Fan is such an interesting concept. Oh, and that Green Lantern that Pat Gleason portrayed as simplly a cube intrigues me.

Photobucket

Gosh, they're all just amazing.

But my favorite...my absolute favorite has to be Kilowog. I don't know if I can exactly explain WHY he's my favorite, but he is. He's just...so loveable in his large and slightly lunkish sort of way. Kilowog has had an awfully hard time of it, losing his family and his planet for heaven's sake, but he's never let himself give into complete despair. He's trained an awful lot of Green Lanterns over the years, and he's trained them awfully well, and it is pretty obvious that he has their wellfare as his first consideration.

He may yell at you and make you do a lot of tedious and dangerous things, but it is for your own good. And he's very good company. And he's smart, and capable of inventing all kinds of useful things. He's also incredibly forgiving, since he DIDN'T punch out Hal for going around calling him "simple" in the old days. And he managed to overcome some rather explosive beginnings to see past Guy's assholishness to become his best friend.

kilowog

And he has an astonishgly fabulous ass.

And speaking of asses...I would be remiss if I failed to mention that I am also fond of G'nort in an exasperated sort of way. I hope that he's not actually dead, and will show up eventually...somewhere.

Oh and Mogo rocks too.

Who are YOUR favorite alien GL'S?

12 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Matt said...

Yay my suggestion! I like Soranik, Mogo, and Kilowog quite a bit, but my favorite GL is definitely Salaak. I just love his blunt rudeness and devotion to the Corps, and his critical role in it. I love mean, smart characters that are actually big softies at heart. Brainiac 5 is my fave Legionnaire, for another example.

Oh, Ganthet is a GL now, so I can put him on that list. Man, I love Ganthet. He's just great.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ganthet IS rather great, but I still have trouble thinking of him as just another Green Lantern.

But yes, I do love Salaak. He's just so ornery sometimes. And cranky, and surly and yet quite magnificent when he wants to be.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Hard question. One of the reasons I love GLC is because of the different types of alien GLs. Their all so interesting! I guess Kilowog but he only beats the others by a little bit. He's loyalty and heartfelt love of the corps (the ideals and the members) is inspiring.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous lordofthewaters said...

No love for Bzzd, or Isamot or Stel?

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Eyz said...

I luv Kilowog too!
There's a lot of fun and original aliens in the ranks of the GLC for sure!

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Totally off topic here, but something that may be of interest to you: a Lanterns Heroclix Modding Contest.
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313123

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous AE said...

Tomar. Re or Tu.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger googum said...

Aside from the big ones like Kilowog or Arisia, my favorite was Flodo Span, from towards the end of Green Lantern Corps. He was the blobby one that hung out with Driq. (Driq, the dead GL, also cool.)

Flodo was "an abstract life-form," generated by his ring. So I think he willed himself into existence. ("He came to life. Good for him.") Sadly, when his ring went out, so did he...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

The Green Lanterns have such interesting concepts as Lanterns. There is the one that is the Polio virus, that went up against Despotillis, whose name escapes me for the moment...Leezil Pon maybe? There was one that was a mathematical equation for heaven's sake. There's a whole PLANET that is a GL!

The Corps is really such a superb concept. You can never run out of interesting Lanterns to invent.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Among the alien Lanterns, I love it when they tackle something really alien, like Mogo, Chaselon, Olapet. I'd love to see a story with Dkrtzy RRR, the mathematical Lantern. But I'd also like to see Soranik and Arisia get their own mini-series.

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

See, this is why I would love for them to bring back Green Lantern Quarterly...so that we could have stories about those oddball Lanterns that you only usually see in the background or as cannon fodder.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous nicklaus said...

I kinda miss Percival, that leprechaun GL that first featured in Ganthet's Tale. Kewl name, a sense of style, general nice chap, and one of the least annoying and sanctimonious descendants of the Maltusians. On the other hand, he's actually an Earthling, so technically not an alien... On the other hand, Stel's kewl, and definitely extraterrestrial. And Tomar Re was the man (or alien equivalent).

Also, a revived GL Quarterly would be a dream come true. Literally - I actually hallucinated about it one night. Man, that was a disappointing way to wake up...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home