Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Let's Start the Whole Thing Over Again!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Let's Start the Whole Thing Over Again!

When I wasn't looking, DC has decided that after Flashpoint, it is going to start the whole Kit'n Kaboodle all over again. That means that 50 some odd books will be starting with #1's. Also, they are going to reboot some stuff. New costumes, or at least "tweaked" costumes, and everyone is going to be younger except for those old farts in the Justice Society.

What the hell?

I guess that there are going to be cancellations, and lots of 'em. Presumably the Bat books and the Green Lantern books aren't going to be involved in the new format, or at least not to the same extent, and I find myself breating something of a sigh of relief, because you MESS WITH GREEN LANTERNS AT YOUR PERIL !!!!!!!!! But Grant Morrison is going to be doing a Superman book, which really, can only be a good thing.

What about the Batwoman book that kept being pushed back and pushed back? Will we be fortunate enough to see Kate Kane? What is going to happen to Birds of Prey? To Barbara Gordon? What about Stephanie and Cass?

They are going to start a new Justice League, with most of the old heavy hitters, but instead of Martian Manhunter, they are going to have...(snicker)...Cyborg. I have nothing against Cyborg really...except that he's certainly no J'onn J'onnz. On the other hand, perhaps this is a good thing, because it will leave J'onn free to join the new JLI, that was hinted at at the end of Justice League: Generation Lost. Throw Guy in there, and I will be one happy little camper.

Fifty some odd books is a LOT of books. Let us try and put a happy face on this, and speculate on the nature of some of those books. Perhaps...just perhaps...they will in the reboot, be bringing back a whole crapload of beloved characters that bit the dust the last go-round. Could we actually be fortunate enough to get back the New Gods for example? Barda and Scott? Metron? Orion? I'd be thrilled right down to my toes. Maybe Ralph and Sue could come back, along with Ted Kord! Or Shiera, so that Hawkman wouldn't be so cranky. Maybe Max Lord won't be a villain!

I am a little bit worried about the littlest Robin. Damian has grown on me for some reason. And what about Conner? Are the former Teen Titans going to be made younger as well, so that Donna, and Roy and Dick and Wally are teens again? What about Lois? What about Hippolyta and Steve Trevor and Etta?

This is all speculation of course, so I guess there really isn't much that we can do until September when this is all supposed to come down. I'm a little worried about some things, but one the other hand, this sort of thing has happened before. MANY times before.

15 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I suspect I'll be spending a lot of time re-reading my collection because I won't be adding much to it.

I finally read the first Flashpoint and Booster Gold 44 and this could've been a great storyline, assuming we'd end up more or less where we should be. But in light of DC's announcement, Flashpoint lost all interest for me. I'm thinking train wreck. Whatever character I love is gonna be screwed up. I just know it. Bye bye Dick Grayson as Batman. Bye bye Cass as Batgirl. The list goes on and on.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I feel your pain, Shelly. Still another resetting of the clock, as it were.

On the other hand, these things never really seem to "take" and I imagine that we'll all be back to the status quo, sooner or later.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Don't look now, but apparently one of the big changes will be the erasure of the marriage between Lois and Clark.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

The Lois and Clark thing has me furious. I don't read the Superman books except for Supergirl right now, but Lois and Clark should stay married. The whole going backward is just nuts. And cruel, too, actually.

I'm seriously considering not buying any of these books in Sept, and waiting for blog reviews to tell me if there's anything in them I might actually want to read.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I was under the impression that it's just the Silver Ager/A-listers that are getting an aged down and retold origins. Otherwise Jaime (who DC has been promoting) doesn't exist and all the new series they got interest for are pointless.

I may not be a big Superman fan but I will be livid if they split them up for Wonder Woman. I quit Marvel for good after the got rid of Mayday Spider-Girl and ended Spider-Mans' marriage. I'll still get DC but only for Booster, Guy, Kara and the rest of my favorites.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

I may actually be even more furious than you about Clark-Lois, Shelly. First One More Day, and now this. Married couples get dissed yet again. What the hell is their problem?

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I actually really like Stephanie, and Batgirl is the only Bat-family book I read anymore, and now it looks like Babs might be Batgirl.

All the characters I love get thrown under the bus!

I'm going to imagine they all live in their own universe/Earth/watever. Earth-Melissa, where Ted Kord and Vic Sage and Ch'p are all alive. And they have picnics every day.

And Clark and Lois...?! Wow. That's a biggie.

Well...I guess that makes Adam and Alanna Strange DC's new power couple?

Doesn't DC realize that 52 books is like $150?

Oh, I'm so glad I can come here and share the misery with everyone else. :)

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

^ I'll tell you EXACTLY what their problem is: they're mad with nostalgia for the state of comics as they existed in THEIR childhoods -- and the inmates are running the asylum.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I have nostalgia for what I read in my childhood and in my young adulthood, but I don't want to go back there. Sheesh.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger googum said...

Among other things, it seems that Hal is going to be de-aged to what, Kyle's age? Which would make Kyle twelve.

I'm not regularly reading a lot of DC books, and there are pros and cons to this whole hullabaloo; but I fear more will be lost (Bat-Dick, Cass Batgirl) than gained. (I doubt Ted or the old Question will be back.)

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger notintheface said...

Also, why is DC expecting us to get excited about Jim Lee redesigning all the costumes? Isn't he the same guy who gave us Bare-Midriff Huntress and.... Gambit?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yeah, the thought of Jim Lee set loose on all the iconic costumes strikes fear into the heart.

Not every character is my favorite, but every character is SOMEONE's favorite. It's a bit of a cliche, but it is true. As a continuity hound, I'll be sorry to see all that history swept away...and yet, the thought of maybe getting some beloved characters back is very inviting.

Go and visit Bully's site. He has the best list of the 52 possible titles ever!

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it. The longer you keep continuity, the more it tends to get screwed up. Just look at what happened to Marvel's Spider-Man, with what they've been doing to the character they might as well have rebooted the series. I'd rather have characters get a fresh start than to watch them slowly get ruined over time.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

Despite all the real and potential problems with this, if it gives me some versions of my favorite super heroes who have NOT been killed and resurrected (like ALL OF THEM now have been, at least once), then I'm tentatively in favor of it.
I think.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

ok, going through my blogroll and catchign up on 2 weeks worth of comic news..
Are they REALLY gonna be splitting Clark and Lois up? That's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home