Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: One Helluva Birthday Present!!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, June 17, 2011

One Helluva Birthday Present!!

Oh...My...God. I have seen the movie. I do not care WHAT the critics say...this was fabulous. Even my Sweet Babboo liked it, although he thought that it started a little slowly, but then things went with a bang.

I am going to go and see it again tomorrow with my kids. Let me just say that yes, Hal does get hit in the head. In fact rather frequently. And he does show off one spectacular set of buttocks. And Sinestro is strangly hot. No cameos of John, Guy or Kyle though. But plenty of sneak peaks at some of the Lanterns, albeit briefly.

Hector Hammond is creepy as all heck, Tomar Re and Kilowog are fun, and the Guardians are elegant and spooky all at the same time. I also liked Carol a whole heck of a lot more than I thought that I would.

Yes, the costume is a little different from the books, but I didn't care. It is a construct of the ring, and it does this rather cool glowy thing. Oa is simply gorgeous. The constructs are typically Hal, and rather fun. There are some rather amusing moments, and some nail-biting moments and Carol is smart enough to figure out who Hal is in about thirty seconds, and Tom Kalmaku is in it...and...well, I'm not going to spoil it ALL.

Just go and see it. If you like Super Hero movies, you will probably like it a lot. If you are a Green Lantern fan, you will like it MORE than a lot. Seriously, I was prepared to like it even if it was only 90 minutes of Hal painting his toe nails, provided he bent over a lot. But it is a whole lot more than that.

Oh, and stay through the first part of the credits. You won't want to miss what happens.

15 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous RGallegos said...

Loved it. Long time GL fan (Hal fan) and loved it!!! Some plot holes but you know what I don't care. Not the master piece that Dark Knight is, but the perfect summer movie that is entertaining.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger mathematicscore said...

Agreed across the board! Great stuff. I'm excited for a sequel!

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sally! Yeah, I saw the movie, too, last night, with Mr. Sea. We LOVED it. Ryan was definitely Hal, not Kyle -- I was worried he was gonna be more like Kyle. LOVED the scene with Hal's brothers and nephew. Also loved how the other characters gave Hal hell almost every chance they got. He deserves it. ;-)

YES, I've been AWOL, but I have a good reason -- I have a NEW publishing job, if you can believe that. :-\ Glad to see you're still churning along!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Sea, I've missed you! And congratulations on your new job!

Yes, it was the perfect Birthday treat. A few glitches, but nothing major. A couple of plot twists that may not have been in the books, but you know...they worked! That thing with the rogue Guardian and Parallax was actually a pretty darned good idea.

I thought that Hal's doubts, and his ability to fear, was more Kyle, but again...in the context of the movie, it worked quite well.

I don't know WHAT all those stuffy critics where whining about. It was a fun Summer movie, with lots of action and explosions, and at least it HAD a plot. And I can't get over how fabulous Sinestro was.

I hope that the sequel will have more Oa in it. Oh yes...there MUST be a sequel. With Guy. And John, and even Kyle.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Jimmy said...

And Alan Scott!

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Jimmy said...

In the sequel I mean. Please.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

That would be nice, now wouldn't it? All things considered, those people at the party seemed pretty laid-back about a glowing green flying guy...you would have thought they would be a little more surprised. On the other hand, Tom Kalmaku did point out that Hal was a superhero now. So it would make sense that there are OTHER superheroes out there, and one more flying person is just another Tuesday in the DC Universe.

So Alan Scott could certainly be worked in.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I'm glad it got your seal of approval, Sally! I've been a little hesitant about it. I'm such a purist that I can't get over the changes to the suit.

I was even griping about how Ryan Reynold's HAIR wasn't close enough to the comics to my coworker and she thought I was insane. (I'm a tough one to please.) Maybe I should just get over that and go see it and enjoy it.

How did it compare against Thor, if you've seen that?

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

I decided to watch Jonah Hex again... & then I started cutting myself

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Dwayne!

Seriously, was it really that bad?

Liss, yes, the suit is a little different, but in the context of the movie...it actually makes sense. And let's just say that Ryan Reynolds fills it out...admirably.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the critics.... saw this with 3 comic geeks and 2 lawyers... they ALL loved it. People need to get the word out.... FORGET the critics !!! DC needs to make MORE MOVIES !!!

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

"I'm excited for a sequel!"

I'm pessimistic. That's based on the very end of the movie, after the whole Parallax problem is apparently resolved, when for no apparent reason Sinestro [does that one thing that he didn't find time to do during the whole rest of the movie] [me no spoilerize, yes?].
I think if they really expected to have a second movie after this, they'd have left THAT bit for Part II.
I hope I'm wrong about this. Lord knows there's precedent for that.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Accursed again said...

"I don't know WHAT all those stuffy critics where whining about."

It's critically important to them that you should understand how very utterly beneath them it is to have to review a comic book movie.
Also, many of them are deeply stupid.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

*snicker*

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I saw it 2 days ago and also really enjoyed it. Pity Hal didn't get knocke dout, but you can't have everything. I thought Ryan Reynolds did a great job (and I thought he'd be shit).

Every time there was an arse shot I thought of you Sally.

And happy birthday Dally!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home