Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Reviews

Well, that wasn't a bad week at all. Not a GREAT week, mind you, but still...not bad.
It seems as though all the books are more or less wrapping things up.

Gotham City Sirens #24

Harley is back with Mistah J, while Ivy pleads for her, and it all gets a little weird. Also, Selina gets in a little payback with Ivy as well. And Batman shows up, which isn't much of a surprise. Still, not a bad issue, all things considered. Getting ready for them all to be reshuffled into their post-September books, I imagine.

Flashpoint: Green Arrow #1

My god, but Ollie is an asshole. This is not really much of a surprise, it is rather comforting I suppose to know that he has these dickish tendencies no matter WHAT reality he is currently occupying. Too bad about Roy though...that kid just can't catch a break. And a bit of a surprise to me at least at the end. So again, not bad at all.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #11

It did satisfy my Green Lantern yearnings. More anon.

Flashpoint: Hal Jordan #1

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but this was actually pretty good. Again, as with Ollie, it is nice to know that Hal ALWAYS remains Hal...no matter what. And the artwork was rather pretty, quite painterly, but nice. So this was quite nice.

Hal is still working for Ferris, still working with Carol, and still is arrogant as ever. And they fight a land shark! And Abin Sur shows up at the end, asking for a little help from his friends.

Hal Jordan #1

This is the movie version, to go with the other Movie books, and oh, what the heck I liked it too. Basically, it is Sinestro telling Tomar Re that humans are jerks, and this one in particular(Hal) is too fearful to be a good Lantern. He even asks if there were any other choices, and the ring shows them a very young Guy Garnder in the Michigan lockerroom in his football uniform! Oh...be still my heart. In the end, Sinestro stomps off in a huff. And there was a rather odd little story at the end, introducing a new female character that was a bit odd, but ok, I suppose.

Justice Society of America #52

Considering how gawdawful this book has been lately, I was a bit hesitant about picking it up again, but since it IS going to be axed quietly under the new plethora of books, I wanted to see how it was all going to finish up, and it...wasn't terrible! A fan of the former Mister Terrific is the one behind all of the mental problems of the NEW Mister Terrific, which is quite the biting commentary on the rabidness of some fans. And they end up calling in the Challengers of the Unknown to help deal with the hidden chamber buried beneath the city, which is always a treat.

Justice Society of America: 80 Page Giant 2011

Gosh, I just love 80 page giants. This wasn't bad either. A lot of rather nice small stories, some of which worked better than others, but not any real clunkers. I really liked the first one with the Spectre, which rather surprised me. The painterly looking one, written by Ivan Brandon was a treat. And portrayed Alan Scott in rather a new light. But worth while picking up.

Wonder Woman #612

Man, this storyline seems to have gone on forever. Again, I had pretty much given up on Diana, but I want to see how it all ends up. The Gods all end up coming back, they've been in hiding from Nemesis, who outpowers all of them due to the general rottenness of humans, apparently. And Diana is the Only One Who Can Save Them. There is a lot of exposition and some fighting, and then she ends up having to...fight herself! But that's not until the next issue. Not great by any means, but not completely terrible. Just...meandering.

Still it's all better than a week without comics at all!

6 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Jimmy said...

Guy in his University of Michigan locker room brought a smile from me. My sister a huge fan of Guy has been showing it to anyone who will look. I'm not a sports fan by any means, but I like when Michigan gets a nod in a New York/California biased world.

Being that I have limited budget on what I spend I too dropped The Society long ago. How did they portray Alan Scott in the 80 Page giant? As for the giant was it Golden Age stories or a mix of modern and old? Is it worth picking up next week?

I really wish there could be a title where Alan, Jay and others weren't perpetual babysitters and are in their prime. I know you like the old farts, but I don't. That's not the Alan Scott I love. He's a 180 to his old Golden Age portrayal.

If Clark, Bruce, Dick and others can be immortal and childless. Why can't every Golden Age character? I hunger for a reinvention that expunges Infinity Inc. from continuity and still allows Alan and Hal to share space in the same Earth, same universe and team up.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

The old farts in the JSA seem to be perpetually attached to World War II for some reason, which seems odd, especially since DC seems to want to change its time-line with the new relaunch to everything having happened in only five years. Which, is awfully ridiculous when you think about it. When would anyone have to to sleep, much less eat? Sheesh!

A book with the JSA as the mentors of the new generation, is ok with me, but a book with them in their prime would also be a plus. I know that they are brining out an anthology type book in September, that would seem to be tailor-made for this sort of thing. Or bring back JSA: Classified. Or something.

But yes, that shot of Guy in the Michigan locker room just brought a smile to my face. Shirtless too!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Only one I read of this bunch is Gotham City Sirens and it did feel like a wrapup issue. Not sure what the last 2 will be like, but this felt inevitable and inevitably sad. I was rooting for Ivy and Harley to stay mostly on the right side of morality if not the law.

Dare I ask about Roy in the GA Flashpoint book since I'm not reading any of that?

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, Roy did show up in the Green Arrow book, and was a hero! Till he got shot. Dead.

Damnit.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Oh. Well. I'm really glad I didn't read it, then.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

"When would anyone have to to sleep, much less eat? "

Not sure but I know for a comic book fact that they save a lot of time by never having to go to the bathroom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home