Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Sneaking In Some Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Sneaking In Some Reviews

I'm snatching a couple of minutes here, to talk about comics. In the middle of all the news that is trickling out of DC, I find myself hovering between euphoria and despair. Barbara as Batgirl seems like a very stupid idea, on the other hand, Jaime is getting his own book!

And so on and so forth.

As for this week's books, there were some very nice ones and a few that were...ok.

Birds of Prey #13

Well, dang it, if I didn't like the heck out of this. Huntress and Renee as the Question work quite nicely together, and if they were to be teamed up in the shake-up, I wouldn't be sad at all. It was also nice to see Junior again, and to see the Birds really having a hard time of it. There was a real sense of danger and the feeling that they were actually pretty lucky to have pulled this off. Oh, and Catman showed up, which was always nice.

Booster Gold #45.

I liked this as well. Poor Booster was initially befuddled, and now he's flying completely solo, without Rip OR Skeets, and being chased by people who think that he's the enemy. Oh, and there is Doomsday, who is being manipulated by none other than Captain Atom. Fortunately, Booster does manage to find an ally, who is probably simply mesmerized by his shiny shiny behind. I mean, what girl can resist THAT? And that last page? It's not looking too good, as Doomsday manages to fight off his control.

Batman & Robin #24.

Ummm...not Tomasi or Gleason. Instead it's Winick, and more of Jason Todd being manipulative. Dick and Damian show up but don't really do a whole lot. I don't know who Scarlet is, and I don't care.

Flashpoint: Citizen Cold #1

Well, I actually rather enjoyed this one, mainly because I just like Captain Cold for some reason. And boy, is HE having fun being bad. And somehow fooling people into thinking that he's actually a hero. Nice work, if you can pull it off. Iris and Wally show up, which is also nice. Too bad about Wally though.

Kilowog and Tomar Re #1.

These are the Movie tie-ins, and basically, I just got them because it has been way too long since I had a Green Lantern book in my hot little hands, and I was SUFFERING,DAMMIT! Not great by any means, but what the heck. Not bad either. I know that Guy and John and Kyle won't be in these, but for some reason I keep waiting for them to show up.

Journey Into Mystery #624

Oh Marvel, I can't help but love baby Loki. And Volstagg being cool as usual. This is actually...good! I'm not reading any other Marvel books at the moment except for some of the Thor books, but some of those haven't been bad either.

And now onto other things.

I understand that DC feels the need to make things simpler and less convoluted, and the heroes younger. Ok. But what on EARTH is fueling this apparent decision to return to the '90's of all times? While there were actually some very GOOD comics that came out in the '90's, I think that we can all agree that the levels of excess, violence and EXTREEEEEEEEEEMISM that ALSO came out in the '90's was pretty darned tacky. I have no wish to see chromium covers, pouches, excessive cross-hatching or Rob Liefeld...ever again. So please, PLEASE tell me that the covers of Teen Titans, Suicide Squad and Hawk and Dove are NOT the actual covers.

DC...I mean, what were you THINKING? I also don't think that I have read a single positive reaction to putting Barbara Gordan back in a Bat-suit. And what the hell is going to happen to Zinda, Huntress, Manhunter, Misfit, Scandal and Jeanette, Power Girl and Cass and Stephanie? That's a lot of women that I am fond of, and I don't know where they are going to be appearing. Oh, and getting rid of Secret Six is just WRONG! Where will I go for my Catman fix?

On the other hand, bringing back Blue Beetle and jonah Hex and Resurrection Man are good moves. Very very good moves.

7 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous AE said...

Bob. Harras.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

BoP seems to be closing out on a high note. The issue was topnotch! As for Batman and Robin: meh. Winick is killing the book before the reboot. Too much Jason!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Way too much Jason. I hear that there is one more story with BoP with Zinda and the original Phantom Lady, which sounds like a lot of fun.

My god, Bob Harras DOES work for DC now! I never made the connection!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I keep looking back at the comic book resources article with the covers, and,.. oh god... some of that art is just terrible.

What did the titans do to deserve that? I have no idea who 2 of them are.

Words fail me.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Saranga - the names revealed for the two girls are Charcoal Girl and (I kid you not) Bugg. Because if the '90s taught us anything (besides the fact that it's a sin to show characters' eyes in any position other than a squint) it's that poor literacy is KEWL.

Also: I was glad when I found out Jaime had another ongoing, until I realized something, to my horror - this, in all likelihood, won't be the Jaime we know and love, but rather an XTREME '90S version of Jaime. I don't know if I could stand that.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

well what on earth is happening to Solstice then? Why introduce a new, exciting, interesting, character then dump her in favour of 2 brand new characters?

Ugh, I love the Titans, but I cannot abide bad art, so I won't be reading that book if that's the standard of the innards.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Bugg? Really, how could anyone,hero or villain, shout that name out in the heat of battle and not start laughing uncontrollably?

Good Grief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home