Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday's Reviews

Now, this wasn't a bad week...not a bad week at all.

Firstly, we have Cinderella: Fables are Forever #6. And so we come to the final, and most satisfying conclusion of the story of Cinderella, Spy Extraordinare, vs. Dorothy Gale, Assassin-For-Hire. It's as fun as can be, Cinderella uses her brain, Dorothy gets her just desserts and Cindy walks off with a little extra goodie as well. Good good stuff.

Retroactive: The Flash.

Ok, I wasn't too sure about all the Retroactive books coming out at first, but this is just plain goofy fun. Written by Cary Bates, and drawn by Benito Gallego and Sal Buscema of all people. We have Gorilla Grodd coming up with a particularly bizarre form of revenge against the Flash that involves gorilla/human cross-breeding, infertility, motherly love, and accelerated aging. It's all good! Plus there's a nice little real story from the 70's involving Barry and Superman that is fun too.

War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath. Well!

Justice League of America #59

Eclipso is just so happy, he could plotz, because he's killed EVERYBODY, and the entire Universe has come to an end. Oh, but Bruce Gordon is still around, at least psychically so that Eclipso has someone to gloat to. But it's all a ruse, they MADE Eclipso THINK that he'd killed everybody, while Mikaal and the Atom went into the Shade's brain and burned out the mind-whammy-jammy that Eclipso had put on him. And just in time for this new mini-series that will be coming out in October! The day is saved, and everybody is back to normal, more or less, and Jade and Obsidian can now be in the same room without destroying the Universe...a plot device for which I am extremely grateful. It would have made Christmas just...so awkward. Oh, and they even put the moon back together, which is a good thing. It would have been so cool if Alan wrote C H A I R on it however.

So...not bad, not bad at all.

Power Girl #26.

I dropped this like a rock, when Winick took over, but this particular issue is by Matthew Sturges, and it is actually rather charming. Peej shows up at a comic convention, mainly so that the money raised can go to charity, and ends up facing a phalanx of women and girls ALL dressed up like her. One fan in particular is quite...pushy, and ends up trying to steal Kara's powers ostensibly so that she can save her planet, but really, just because she's selfish and wants the powers for herself. They ALL end up getting blasted into space, and stuff happens, and naturally the other cosplayers band together and use their powers for good, and all of that.

The art is cute, the story is cute, the cover is so cute that I just may explode.

Tiny Titans #42.

It took a while, but I've finally started picking this up because it is the only form of the Titans that I can actually stand. And gosh, they're just too adorable for words.

Retroactive: Wonder Woman

Written by Denny O'Neil and drawn by J. Bone. This is a lot of fun as well. Diana jumps out of a plane, expecting to land on Paradise Island, which is rapidly sinking into the ocean. She's not very happy, and goes down to see what the heck is going on, and ends up talking to an alien cube that says she's gravely sinned, and has to perform three feats of atonement...or something. Diana is less than enthusiastic about this, but since the consequences of her failing is the destruction of her home and friends, she goes along with it. And she doesn't have her Amazon strength, just the snazzy Kung Fu skills she had when she was running around in that white outfit. It's all pretty absurd, but what the heck it was fun.

And there is also another real tale from the 70's, involving I Ching. Egad.

Sergio Aragones Funnies

I was in the mood for some lighthearted fare this week, and I certainly got it. This is, quite naturally, hilarious.

It's actually rather a fun week! Enjoy it before all the doom and gloom of September, when Clark gets broody and loses Lois, and Hawkman is savage, and Batman yells at Damian, and Tim Drake wears the World's Worst Costume.

6 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Jimmy said...

Read JLA today and enjoyed, but I hate the rush feeling to the end of this group to the JLA.

I must admit I haven't read aftermath or batman yet...I am holding off for tomorrow night after we get the little one down for bed. I am planning on some pizza, beer, and then comics. I love Friday nights.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's always nice to spread things out a bit, Jimmy. I don't have the patience, I always bring them home, and read them ALL!

I have no willpower whatsoever.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous JimmytheJiver said...

Wow I'm surprised there's another Jimmy. So I'll say this I loved The Retroactives and was initially scared of what they would do to Iris in Flash, but a stupid idea was portrayed well so I give Cary Bates credit. I would like to see what he could do with Barry now that's he's alive. One more run. The Batman one was out too and it's the first time I enjoyed a Batman book in years, but was irritated by seeing Talia at the end. Wonder Woman was enjoyable, but I wish more was elaborated on.

I avoided JLA like a plague because I can't stand Donna Troy or Jade and Obsidian who have consistently continued to ruin my enjoyment of Alan Scott since Infinity Inc. was published. When will Alan be set free? When will Diana?

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I picked up Power Girl because no Winick. Haven't read it yet, but it looks like fun.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It actually is pretty cute.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger John81 said...

Regarding Power Girl... I too dropped this title a few issues after the departure of Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. Primarily it was an economic decision, and Power Girl was a title I did not want keep purchasing monthly. Also, during the first few Judd Winick issues I missed the friendship between Power Girl and Terra terribly!

I was motivated to purchase at mycomicshop.com Power Girl 26 after seeing the wonderful cover of the heroine surrounded by cosplayers. So cool and very cute! I look forward to reading it.

I'm still conflicted over whether to purchase Wonder Woman Retroactive 70s since it was the era where Diana was de-powered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home