Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I'm Confused

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, August 15, 2011

I'm Confused

Not that being confused is an unusual thing for me. However...from reading the various blogs and message boards and such...it is my understanding that the new Justice League book, coming out next month, has Hal in it, and is therefore not in the "present" but actually takes place five years ago, when the JLA originally formed.

I'm not actually that thrilled with the thought that the entire DC Universe is actually only five years old, but I'll go along with the premise for the moment. However, I've also read, that due to Government distrust of the JLA, the Justice League International is formed...with Booster and guy, Rocket Red, Fire, Ice and Vixen, and Batman. This doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me. Is this incarnation of the JLI ALSO five years in the past?

If that is the case, then will Guy be written as a brain-dead thug again? Will the Rocket Red be Dmitri instead of Gavril? Shouldn't Ted Kord be ALIVE? Not to mention Scott and Barda, Ralph and Sue, and a plethora of OTHER Leaguers? Will Max Lord be a part of the League?

I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling the two things together. Is this new JLI taking place NOW, which is why Booster will have the new costume, not to mention the fact that he'll be the de facto leader, or do we just throw out EVERYTHING we know from before? Because...although I am pretty good at overlooking HUGE plot holes, this is a bit much for me to swallow.

For that matter, if the JLA is in the past, why the heck is everyone running about wearing the new costumes?

On the other hand, Ryan Choi is back. This is a good thing. A very very good thing. Which also makes me wonder why Ray Palmer isn't in the Justice League either. Or Hawkman. Or Martian Manhunter. Let's face it, I'm sure that Cyborg is a very nice boy, but really...I'm not sure that I see him fitting in the BIG Leagues.

But I'm beginning to regard this whole relaunch thing with a bit more trepidation that at first.

10 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

The "5 years" bit is when the JLA and Superman started. While there were heroes they weren't publicly recognized as such until the league formed. Some books are going into the past to explore the beginning of the 5 years like Grant Morrisons' Superman and JLA. Every other book (unless I'm missing one) is set now.

For GL and Bat books everything happened the same with slight changes like ages. Like if Tim Drake is 16 like TT makes it sound then Jason would have to be Robin within the first two years.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm still a bit bemused however. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I REALLY hope that Rip is still a part of Booster's supporting cast. There's really no reason why a Time Master can't hang around with the JLI.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Even a cursory reading of interviews regarding the DCnU makes it obvious that DC has absolutely no idea how to internally maintain and synchronize their own new continuity. This looks like it's going to be one big mess.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ahah! I talked with my beloved Comic Book store proprietor, and he said that to the best of his knowledge, the JLI is present day, while the JLA is in the recent past. Or something.

Regardless, I would still like to have some of my favorite dead people back.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

Cyborg? Really?
John Henry Irons has got much cooler civilian AND superhero names (*), AND a pre-existing JLA membership, AND a big red cape! Cyborg can go be his damn teenage sidekick, or something. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham that "Cyborg" is now a JLA founder.

[* Robotman (!), both versions, have got cooler superhero names than "Cyborg" ! ]

 
At 4:59 AM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

"Regardless, I would still like to have some of my favorite dead people back."

If they get retconned back into existence, this would be the time to do it. All of them, fine, whoever got left out of Brightest Day, good, every damn character that ever died EVER, fine, just get it over with, that's okay.
... BUT:
If they get individually resurrected ... grrrrrrrr ... if THAT crap starts up again, I'm out. Oh Yuu Tee, OUT!

Also, if G'nort exists, or ever DID exist, in this DCnU, same deal, o.u.t. out!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

I love Ryan Choi and am glad he's alive/back, back alive.

But what about Ray? Because if there's no Ray, then there's probably no Jean Loring. But there MUST be Jean Loring and Ray, because that's the basis of Identity Crisis, the one story that (a) should clearly NOT be in continuity and that (b) therefore Dan Didio has confirmed will still be in continuity.

Sigh.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Seriously, a universe without Jean Loring? I would think that reality would implode.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

Without a Jean Loring, there is no yardstick against which to measure the lunacy or malice of the lesser supervillains, (which is all of them). So whether by design or by unguided evolution, a Jean Loring necessarily must emerge, and must inevitably have all the same characteristics of the Jean Loring we know. How can it be otherwise? Even evil must have its perfection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home